Used 2003 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Tacoma for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Love the Taco

DDragon, 11/30/2004

TRD and Limited pkgs: Get rid of the factory tires (BF Good All Terrain), horrible in rain (pavement). Not sure Limited pkg was worth the money, but overall the Tacoma has been very reliable. Works great off-road in the mud, sand etc. even w/o 4x4. Great for anyone wanting a truck that works like a full size, but with the smaller frame and enthusiasm to play hard.

Finally Got It!!!

Troy, 12/13/2004

I had always wanted a Tacoma, unfortunately I could never afford one until now. I started out about 3 years ago with my first Truck a 1999 Ranger. While this is a decent truck to start out with, I still wanted my Tacoma. So when I finally decided that I could afford one I went down to the Toyota dealer and bought a 2003 2.7L 5-Speed 4WD extended cab. It has loads more power then my Ranger(2.5L) as well as plenty of torque. While it is not a race engine, it still has plenty of power for what I need to do. I couldn't see wasting my money on a Hemi just to accelerate faster and get 8-10 MPG. The 4WD is superior to any other brand of truck, way better than the ranger.

Selling after 2-years

JIMnPHX, 04/22/2005

First Toyota I've ever owned. Was sick of my Ford Explorer and my Jeep with all the maintenance issues. Consumer Reports shows great reliability numbers so I purchased it. Over the two years I've not had one problem with the truck. I average 17 mpg. We've taken a couple long trips and the two kids (11 & 9) were very comfortable in the rear seats. However I did not enjoy the drivers seat on long trips. My right foot got cramped due to the angle I had to keep by foot at. I am 6-ft 1-in and just never felt at home in the seats. My wife is 5-8 and has no problems. We towed a pop-up camper at 70 mph and got 15.25 over 1200 mile trip thru the mountains of Az and Utah. 20 mpg on other trips.

Fast but Noisy

B dubs, 03/14/2003

This truck is fun to drive and looks good too. My only major complaint is the wind noise and rattles that have developed since I bought the truck. Something is always rattling and every day it is in a new place! When I drive at 45 miles/hour, a constant whirring sound (wind noise) can be heard that is very annoying [unless you turn up the radio :) ]. Other than that, a fine all around truck. 4000 miles and no mechanical problems yet.

Fast commuting truck

stoutbrewer, 03/15/2003

I decided the Tacoma double cab was right for my family.I got a good price from the dealer, the color I wanted and all the options we needed without any of the hassle. In the city I get 16/gal but I'm sure I can wring more once it's been broke in. It drives like a truck (bouncy at times) but overall not bad (without a load in the back). It scoots off the line and pulls nicely up steep grades and stops undramatically. Driven in heavy rain it has no problems even with a stiff cross wind or on a steep grade. The A/C cools fast and doesn't bog the engine. The stereo is nice with a cassette and/or CD design and the back seats tilt for extra storage which is an additional nice feature.

My Toyota Truck

Romain Giger, 09/06/2005

I do like my Toyota Truck. It is a Pre- Runner Double Cab 4X2/V6. It has a lot of torque in the lower RPMs. The color, Lunar Mist and trim package SR5 looks very good and I'm proud to own it. The interior is really nice, carpeted, good seats, an excellent sound system with six speakers. My wife really likes the air conditioner because it works so well. I think the fuel consumption is a little high. But then it is a truck. To ease the pain I try to hold the speed limit and seldom drive over 60 mph. Since I'm a short person, 5"3", the truck is a little high for me to get comfortable in and out.

My 2 cents

4x4, 03/20/2006

Just trying to help all that are looking into purchasing a Tacoma. This truck is good over all, yes it does have its minor flaws in the design and seems to have common problems with all us owners. It works good for me since I am single and do quite a bit of hauling and driving. The gas mileage is good on highways but poor in town, the rattles that everyone is having, I too have up around the dash. The outside noise comes from the way the wind wraps around the side of the cab and not the rear wall. I still love this truck because it is reliable and is worth almost what I paid for it. One thing I hate is when I am braking and hit a bump, the anti-lock kicks in and causes me to slide a bit.

I LOVE my Taco

tacofans, 10/21/2006

I loaded it up 1100 lbs. of bricks, stones, and playsand, and it hummed along with no complaints. I love the V6. In town gas mileage is great, between 19-20 mpg. Highway within the 20-22 mpg range. Best tank was 21.85 mpg with 80% hwy, 20% in-town. Just keep the speed below 69 mph for better gas mileage (but I did go 75-80 mph from time to time). Ride is not bad at all for a truck although I would change the factory tires when they wear out for better traction.

Solid and Funtional 4x4 D-Cab

mozart22, 03/21/2003

I have had no major problems with this vehicle. It's a great truck to drive and hauls everything I need to carry, whether it be my ski gear to the slopes or my mountain bike to the trails it has been great. Enough room in the back for smaller adults with no complaints. I like the styling of the truck as well. It handles great on the roads(non-TRD) and also does well off-road.

Excellent truck

Joey, 11/20/2006

This is an awesome truck and very stylish. My truck the 4 door, "limited", leather, TRD, 4WD, and the color is metallic black, with black luggage rack and black nerf bars... all stock. I get so many compliments on this vehicle - even though the body style is smaller than the new Tacomas that are out at the dealerships today. To me, this is the perfect size truck for off-road and run around the town.

The Perfect Truck

Rl Bickley, 03/24/2003

It has been an all around great truck. It is wonderful on the gas mileage, and since my previous truck was a Tahoe, that means a lot. Also, it has near perfect build quality that I have never seen in a truck before. I would give this truck with the TRD pkg a serious look.

Beats all Competition

Boman, 04/15/2003

While I have just purchased a 2003 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab this past weekend (I traded in a '98 Honda Accord, also a great vehicle), I must say that I chose the right vehicle. 4 door sedans don't compare with the versatility of a double cab or 4 door pickup. I looked at comparable models from Nissan, Dodge, Ford, etc., but nothing compares in its class to Toyota, period. The truck handles nicely, accelerates like a 4 cylinder (requires some revs, but gas mileage is much better than V6), but at least has multivalves where other trucks operate on 2 valves/cylinder.

The First choice in quality, fun & style

DMT Steve, 04/17/2003

I have had my Tacoma for over a year. It has been extremely reliable, and it draws looks from many other drivers. When quality is brought up, all you have to do is close the door on me Tacoma and compare it to closing the door on anything else. You can truly feel the quality through a process as simple as that. I have over 20k on the odometer and it still drives as well as it did on day one. There are no squeaks or rattles, as everything is very tight.

It Gets 'er Done

barney, 09/08/2007

All things considered, it's an excellent vehicle. All I've had to do is the regular maintenance. I've had no downtime whatsoever (well, except for the one recall but the dealer took care of it and gave me a free loaner). It pulled a U-Haul on my move from Missouri to California with no problem. It drives like a car. Plenty of power with the V6. The steering and the engine are very responsive which is a plus on the California freeways.

not what they used t o be

extoyota lover, 04/28/2003

Bought this in late 2002. At 500 miles the motor started to knock/thud under light loads. One dealer said they thought the noise was injector related; imagine that knocking injectors. Another dealer, after telling me diagnosis may cost me said "we hear it but don't know what it is, these 2.7L engines are typically noisy, must be normal" They wrote it up as "no correctable condition found" sort of an oxymoron. So if you don't know what it is, how do you know it is not correctable. I have found a site at Automotive Forums.com where other have the same issue.

Great Truck

Toyota Guy, 05/02/2003

I Just traded a tundra w/trd for this 03'toyota dbl cab w/trd and i am very very satisfied with truck. It fits me and my family better than the tundra did the only thing i am missing is the v8 power and i think tacoma needs more available options like homelink and over head console with temp and compass. But i still love it w/out the features..

longevity

single female, 05/03/2003

I am in the process of buying another toyota. I bought my first one in 1985. At that time it was just called Extracab. Unfortunately I was in an accident April of this year and my truck was totaled with a 430,000 miles. I changed the oil every 3,000 miles, myself. I still was getting 25MPG and drove it about 500 miles per week. All this from a single female, not bad, huh?

Toyota Doesn't mean quality

Toyota Quality?, 05/13/2003

I bought the truck because its looks good and because its a Toyota, but I have had problems with the breaks, the U-joints, and the thing rattles very bad. Also the doors feel like paper when you shut them and it is noisy when you drive and if the windows are rolled down you get blown out.

My first toyota but not my last

skyking, 01/29/2003

I had a subaru that was giving to me by my brother 2 years ago that from day one always hesitated when taking off from a stop.it scared me because in a heaverly traffic town it can be dangerous when you pull out with plenty of time yet the car wants to stall on you. plus the air-condition was out so i said i am going to get a toyota tacoma truck .and it has been a blessing so far and i get alot of compliments also.i bought the air and stereo package power steering and abs brakes and that is just the way i wanted .so far it is a real hoot. forgetabout it just enjoy your new TOY>

Monies Worth

TerribleTrouble, 05/14/2003

This is one truck worth its money. You get what you pay for, yes you have to pay a lot, but it is as strong as a horse, always runs, snow rain or shine, and can haul. Good suspension, and really good clearance. Powerful engine.

best truck

Tom, 02/05/2003

This is the best truck on the market. I have it jack up about 7 in with x terran tire it is assome

Ride is nice

lee, 01/16/2003

Everything I read said the tacoma's ride was unpleasant. I'm a 6'5'' 210lb guy and im not uncomfortable. I will say though the first week I owned it the seats where tough but thats expected its a new truck! This truck has power and you can feel it while in lower gears. Pickup is nice too. No real blind spots that i see.

Solid Truck

RT, 01/19/2003

Excellent Truck. TRD package is worth the extra. Some minor rattles in the dash area.

Shame on the Dealer

Las Vegas Dennis, 05/21/2003

I'm very pleased with my "new" Tacoma truck. It had 710 miles and was represented as new. It was delivered dirty, after I asked to have it cleaned pryor to purchasing. The salesman was short with me at times, and the service department was worse. Several people in service were nice, but a few made uncalled for comment. Good Truck bad people.

I love my Truck

Susi, 05/26/2003

A solid build, fun to drive truck. It has about 16K miles and absolutely no problems yet. It has a few minor quirks mentioned below but overall I highly recommend it. Doing most of the maintainace myself I know that this truck is relatively easy to work on.

Great Truck- Great Price

Irefire, 05/25/2003

Great truck. Everything is well engineered. Looked at the Nissan , I believe the Toyota is a better value and will hold up even better than the Nissan (which is saying something.) Easy to drive. Make a Stick available- please !! Tough on gas 16-18 at best around town.

first new truck i have owned

beck, 05/29/2003

purchased truck in oct 2001..they just came out with the new design..liked it alot more than 2000..i wrecked my 85 toyota sr5 long bed..it had 220000 miles on it..so i knew i wanted another toyota...i like it but not as sporty as my 85 mis my 5 sp trans...great solid feeling on road..good looking...added chrome side bars..hitch..tonuea cover sprayed in bed liner...ive had the dash replaced due to deformed pad..caused rattles...stil has some ratles and creeks..dis appointed over that..85 had no rattles...all in all a good truck...but i miss something more sporty and fuel effient..may trade

best truck

tom, 02/05/2003

Good Truck, Well Worth The Costt.

jsc0, 07/07/2003

I haven't had the truck long, but I find that it is very well built and handles well on and off road, more than I can say for most small trucks. The fuel economy is OK considering it's a V6. I love the styling and plan to enjoy it for many years!

Couldn't be happier

bill b, 07/06/2003

Paid $15.4 K. AC Chrome SR5 pkg. 5 speed manual. 4 cylinder totally fine for me, even with a load. I drive very conservatively, and get an honest 32 mpg. I figure it every tank. Expect it may drop some during winter months. Solid feel. Good handling for a truck. Love the size, nice low bed. I wouldn't own a 4x4, at least for my current needs.

Overall - NOT BAD

Ronnie, 04/11/2008

I've driven 4 dr sedans all of my life and this was my 1st pick-up. I bought a Snug-Top Tonneau cover for it immediately as I wanted to have a huge trunk. Overall, the truck was well-worth the money.

All around good compact truck

RustdBrutus, 06/02/2018
4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This truck was Good to me for 9 years. I was a littlw sad do trade to trade it in. Over the 9 yrs I had put over 110000 miles on it. Needing only minor repairs and regular maintenance items. Living in Maryland the winter salt use took its toll over the 9 yrs. Mainly the truck held up. If anyone is considering a compact truck with no modern frills cause of its age, has great 4wd, and will get you where you need to go every time.

Last one

J Miller, 06/18/2018
2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Currently has 160,3xx miles, bed has been under cover since the 7 hundred mile mark yet bad rust out in the bed, center of the wheel wells, from the under side. Between 85k and 140k - 4 radiators and a blown head gasket, three coils on the #4 spark plug, good amount of sensors out. Have pretty regular maintenance - no dealers except as follows: Went to dealer with the blown head gasket (as my normal service shop was overwhelmed with biz at the time) - service writer flat out called me a liar when I mentioned the radiators. Never mind my response. Gave them their $100 for checking it out. $3k plus to repair - no thanks. Searched around, repaired for $1500, been fine since. Etc, etc.....

great tine truck

jim, 06/30/2018
2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is probably the best little pickup that can be bought.

toyota devotee

Ed Bence, 08/06/2018
2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd toyota truck. I have a 2002 Tacoma. My only complaint is that the rear bumper rusted in a short time. I plan to buy another toyota.

Daily work transportation

Foggy, 07/11/2019
2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Original owner 165,000. Mi has been a really nice truck. Drive 55 miles per day on winding country roads with elevation changes. 22 mpg average. Several issues over the years 1. Dash lights out. Not fuse. 2. When cruising light intermittently will pop out of gear. Reengage ok just hassle, been doing since new. 3. Right front brake caliper assm. Pins rusted into housing had to replace most everything on that side. That's it color dark green.

51050