Used 2001 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

THINK, ENERGIZER BUNNY!
By Mountain Man

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This car was a repo that I purchased in 2004, with 50M miles. WOW! His loss ....my gain! Now, at 167K, this thing just keeps on going and going! The only major thing I've had to do was have the front shocks and struts replaced at about 120K. The ORIGINAL brakes lasted till 126K! Drive belts were changed at 131K. I live in the San Bernardino mountains, where it snows in the winter. I was thinking of getting a used 4x4 Taco, so I recently went on Craigslist but I just couldn't bring myself to part with this thing. It's just been SO good to me! If putting tire chains on for traction in the snow is the worst price I have to pay, then I consider myself lucky! I have General Grabber AT2 radial tires and they are amazing! Between these tires and the chains, the control in the snow is awesome! The display lights for the circulation and fan have recently gone out but not worth removing part of the dash for replacement. The biggest complaint I have is with the brakes. When driving down the mountain and I hit the brakes firmly, the whole truck vibrates. New brakes and having the rotors turned, made very little difference.

227,000 Miles And ZERO Repairs
By A.S.

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this truck for 5 years now. I bought it from the original owner with 204,000 miles and it has been flawless. It took me a long time to find a Tacoma because of the rust issues with the frame, but I found mine with absolutely no rust on it. If you can find one in good shape it will last forever! It still runs and shifts great; I just drove it 5 hours nonstop with no hiccups an got 23 mpg on that trip! I would drive this truck across the country tomorrow! All you have to do is keep up on the maintenance. I just did the brakes all around, tires, and I will be replacing the struts and shocks soon. My Tacoma even has the original timing belt. It is a non-interference engine, so if the belt snaps nothing happens, it just can't be driven. I have free towing, so if it ever breaks I'll just have it towed to my mechanic. After 227,000 miles the seats still are in excellent condition. The seat foam is still in it's shape and the fabric super sturdy. The crazy thing is after 5 years of ownership I can sell my truck for about the same price I paid.

Does not get better than this.
By Sean Dias

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Absolutely the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. No problems, at all! Turn the key, always starts, always. Never even close to being stranded. Easy to work on, maintainence is easy. The only downside is the timing belt every 90kmiles. Hands down, 100% satisfied.

armageddon proof ! TACO
By Nicko

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Anything that I can tell you about this truck do not get even close to honors its 18 years of service, every single day I fall in love with my truck, enjoying the way it runs in the highway compared with newer models is just outstanding, after all these years of hard work, the look, the reliability and the economy it has no rival! it is a double cab! 4 Cyl this truck its just amazing, more likely I will die first and my TACO will keep running , see you on the other side TACO!!!!

Takes a licken' and keeps on ticken'.
By M Watkins

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is bullet proof. 185,000 miles and all the truck has needed is gas, tires, oil + filter. Milage has gone done since 3" lift plus 17's on 33's. Underpowered now because of this and 184,000 miles. Only ran 190 H.P. new. The parts that I have needed are priced higher than domestic vehicles due to a tighter tolerance.