Used 2013 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews

Used Avalon for Sale
Select your model:
12345...7

Pros
Cons

Sporty car with a ride to match.

Wesley L. Albert, 08/03/2018
XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This was one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned. Just oil changes and new tires when the originals wore out. The car handled great and had very good power and stopping ability. Sadly, it rode pretty rough with its low profile tires. The trunk was miniscule and the rear seat didn't fold down. Rear visibility was poor at best. Thankfully it had a rear camera and cross traffic sensors. The blind spot monitors worked well. Buy it if you don't need much cargo carrying capacity and like a sporty sedan and don't mind a less than ideal ride----a trade-off for the excellent handling. Good gas mileage.

Very Nice Ride

George B, 03/29/2019
XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Wife & Me love this car. Bought it August 2016 with 25000 miles, Certified Toyota Used Vehicle. Car has been trouble free, rides and runs perfect. Two things I wish were different 1.. Larger trunk lid opening. 2..Wish the rear seats folded down for more storage when needed

Good not great

Steven Bing, 12/16/2015
XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

For the top of the line Toyota the quality not so great. Lot of rattles interior of car. Lots of road noise. Goes through bumps not over them. Very poor quality materials interior of car. From the carpet to the fit and finish. Paint quality marginal dull and prone to oxidation.. The engine and transmission are excellent. Excellent fuel economy on regular gas, all make up somewhat for other shortcomings. Overall well short of flagship for Toyota.

2013 Avalon Ltd Hybrid

lewbat, 09/02/2013
Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Had planned to purchase a Lexus 300H but found local Lexus dealers not buyer friendly. Decided to look at the Avalon as an alternative and made a purchase which I now regret. The hybrid platform performs wonderfully; power is adequate and economy is better than expected. So far with 5000 miles average MPG is 40.1 with 70pc highway at speeds 70+ MPH. My main issue with the vehicle is interior build quality/fit/finish. I have owned many cars over the years and not since the early 70's have I had a car with so many interior rattles. It is unpleasant to drive the vehicle on anything but newly paved roads. Ride quality is firm, but not unpleasant and seats are adequate for long drives.

Solid power-train, terrible interior quality

athacarguy, 04/21/2014

Toyotas will run forever and hybrid design is solid. The car is quiet and the seats are great. The interior build quality is terrible however. My headliner warped in the first 4K miles, the dash creaks and pops when you hit a dump and the door panels also creak constantly. A happy customer tells four people about their experience and unhappy customer tells 10 people. The crappy part is I have to sell it at a loss to buy the ford fusion. My gut told me to go with the ford and I should have followed it.

Bullet proof long term reliability

jimsrod, 01/29/2017
Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased this car certified used. I love the interior space, luxury, performance and technology. I'd expect more from my local dealer (Lustine Toyota in Woodbridge, VA) but the car is worth the hassle and extreme lack of customer service. I'm surprised at the performance of this big car ... it's really in between a mid and large size sedan at 195" in length. The acceleration, responsiveness of the engine and transmission is great. The upgraded stereo in the Limited is nice and it's good to have some bass response for a change from a production car's sound system. People complain about the ride and when you hit some potholes it can be rough but I prefer a firmer ride and less body roll when cornering. The brakes I don't find to be spongy I think the pedal just takes a little more effort which I find to be better than brakes that are too responsive (like tapping the brake pedal and it jars you forward). Very good value and I find it to be an appealing choice to those that like their passengers in the rear to ride in comfort too.

Not Bad; not great

Val Herrer, 05/20/2018
XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Overall our ‘13 Avalon is a compromise in meeting our expectations for comfort, quasi-sportiness, and initial quality. Best features include the space for 6’-4” legs and the visibility afforded to urban driving conditions. Mechanically, the vehicle is Toyota solid. Power-plant and powertrain deliver almost exhilarating and smooth performance. What’s annoying is the mediocre workmanship within the cabin’s interior. This car is highway driven >80% in Southern California’s vastly fair weather. Road noise is distractingly noticeable.. Headliner at the top edge of rear window and sewing/anchoring of driver-front leather seat (lowest front edge) have detached themselves. Adhesives or sewing required. The ride is a tad light - meaning not stout/solid and stable. Strictly applying money spent vesus a quality product in return, it would have been worth spending it elsewhere.

New to Avalon, but not to Toyota

Pat, 02/22/2020
Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Update (8/28/20) After 6 months and approx 8000 miles of ownership I have to say overall I am very pleased with the 2013 Avalon. It's a very comfortable car. Powerful, safe, dependable. Front seats are firm but supportive and comfortable. Leather is holding up very well. Ended up replacing the 225/45/18 wheels & tires with 235/55/17's from an newer Avalon I found listed on Craigslist. Still a firm ride but much better and I like the looks of the larger size better. On smooth roads its perfect. Mountain roads its a pleasure to drive, almost sports car like. Gas mileage very good for a car this size and power in my opinion. A car like this is worth keeping so I'm already planning to get a full service soon (transmission fluid, coolant, belts, etc). Brakes were still like new last checked. I rate this car highly as a used car if you're looking for a luxury 4-door sedan. Will keep you posted in later reviews of its dependability. I really like the used 2013 Limited we just bought. 48,000 one owner original miles. The ride is more firm than I expected but I like the way it drives. We live where there are curvy mountain roads and it handles them well for a big car. The power from the 3.5 engine is amazing, more than I'll ever need and I'm still averaging 26 mpg even in the mountains. My kids love the roomy back seat and seat warmers they never had before. The front buckets are firm but comfortable. I've seen some negative reviews on here about the comfort and firm ride. I never rode in the older Avalon's which must have been more cushy, but I don't like the looks of the older Avalon's so never considered one. The JBL audio system is very good and the overall feel of the cabin, very warm and inviting. If I could change anything I would not put such low profile tires on it to enhance the ride quality and have the back seats fold down to enlarge the trunk when needed. Other than that I love the car and the Toyota reliability.

Why does Toyota not want to fix issues

davisfm1, 02/07/2013

Bought a beautiful 2013 Toyota Avalon. Two weeks later noticed what appears to be defective piece on the dashboard. Toyota Corp and the dealership do not want to fix. Bought car 50 miles away from home and local dealership ask where I bought car from. The moral of this post is, dont buy car at night and make sure you love every inch when you drive it off the lot as Toyota is not really willing to stand behind any defect they may have left you with. Good product, Poor Customer support. Toyota should learn how to stand behind there product better!

Vinny

vinny, 03/07/2016
XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have been more than satisfied with this vehicle. It was a great value for the price.

12345...7