Used 2013 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews

Used Avalon for Sale
Select your model:
12345...7

Pros
Cons

Update for star rating and other items

solara01, 03/21/2013

I posted an earlier review on my car but for some reason the star rating got dropped. I am working with tech support to fix this problem. I have the 2013 with the tech package and aside from a few minor things, I absolutely love this car. If you are looking for a smooth boat, the high end Avalon may not be for you. If you are looking for a luxury car under $40,000. This is your ticket.

Won over

sullivan3, 11/25/2013
XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the Avalon Touring XLE model in March 2013. Initially, I was a bit disappointed in the quality of the ride. I thought there was too much road feel. This October, I drove it to Ohio and Indiana from Florida. It performed amazingly and I am now smitten with this machine. I really enjoy driving it and on a smooth road, it is terrific. I am averaging nearly 30 mpg . My driving is all at 60mph where I live . No regrets on this purchase. Update 2016 : I love this car. I looked at the new models that came out this year and I think the 2013 looks better. Update 2018: This car still impresses me. Most of my driving is at 60 mph. In a rural area with a 30 mile drive to a grocery, this is a pleasure to drive. The appearance is great and I am still getting compliments from passengers about rear legroom, comfort etc. Currently at 34000 miles on odometer. Plan to keep this for a long time.

fid1, 05/20/2013

The car rides great and looks great but I have a few suggested improvements. The drivers seat has very hard side panels, why are they not the same consistency as the center sections?

Best Avalon yet.

Frank, 10/30/2017
XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Traded in a 2008 Avalon for a 2013. Was a little worried when I read some negative reviews, but NONE of those issues turned out to be true for me. The seats are WAY better than my previous 2008. The ride is much sportier, especially in regard to steering and handling. Yes, you get a little more "roadfeel", but I'd rather feel that I have more precise control, which I definitely do with this new model. Motor is essentially the same as my 2008, and I had ZERO issues with that car (owned until 155K miles). Looks way less like a little old man's car, and more modern. Interior is way nicer, and road noise is way less than my 2008. Stereo is a HUGE improvement as well. Technology overall is impressive in the base model, which was not the case with previous Avalon base models. Great on the highway just like previous models. As far as resale value, nothing beat's Toyotas, especially the Avalon.

High tire pressure ride problems.

poorthingflint, 04/26/2013
XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Recently bought this fine vehicle and almost didn't because of harsh suspension response when impacting large road patches and other road irregularities. Drove another car before the one I took home for the little woman to see and drive. Both cars had 18" Michelins and were disappointing in the way they reacted to serious road imperfections. Driving the car I ultimately bought decided to check the tire air pressure. All tires checked just a little shy of 40lbs. Obviously being over inflated by at least 6lbs will cause the ride problems I noticed. With the correct tire pressure the over all ride improved drastically. I would suggest before you road test one check the air pressure. I have traded this vehicle. Overall a very fine car but if you drive with both feet I.E. brake with your left foot and apply throttle with your right you can trigger the brake override safety feature which means you suddenly loose power for about 8-10 seconds. This was a real safety issue for me and as such was a design flaw. We had decided we would be better served with a SUV going forward and I did not want another Toyota product for obvious reasons. Fortunately there are some good choices out there and we are very happy with our new SUV.

Not as happy as I thought I would be...

yardy, 06/24/2013

I feel in love with the color and design of the car. But I am not happy paying the amount of money and not being happy with the ride in the city. My biggest complaint is the JBL sound system. I bought my car in Maryland and drove back to Georgia to snap, crackle, and pop. The radio fades in and out at will. Thank goodness I have a great Toyota service department near me. I will take the car in tomorrow, get a loaner and they will find out how to fix this problem from their tech department.

Avalon - A luxury but affordable full size sedan

francisr12, 05/27/2013

Before anything else, let me say this "this is the third Toyota I owned and drove more than 160,000 on my previous two without any breakdown or problem even a minor one. I looked for a comfortable full size sedan for my family with two kids instead of a minivan or SUV due to MPG issue. I decided to purchase an Avalon XLE after test drive of Ford Taurus, Nissan Maxima & Infinity G37..So far I confidently say I made a right choice. The car handling may not be as sporty as the Infinity, inside its cabin we can really enjoy the quality of the Bluetooth audio system because it is so quite thanks to the use of noise reduction glass & its air drag coefficient of 0.28.

Just What I Needed

twigster, 08/24/2013
XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is my "highway" car. Drove to NEPA Pocono Area with my electronic drums in the trunk. The July shakedown cruise to our yearly SummerJam proved the Avalon's capability. I tend to travel fast (above the speed limit) and got almost 30 MPG while feeling safe and in control. Love the transmission and the steering and despite what MT may say about "steering feedback" I didn't find that a negative since I didn't want a "sports car" or want to "feel the road". Spent almost three weeks driving around the N.E.P.A. area roads that I grew up driving on (I live in Tampa), these are what we call "driving! roads". Again, the car made it a blast - it went everywhere like it owned the road. UPDATE 2/24/2016 The Multi-media system that controls the GPS and entertainment went bad in Dec. '15 while on a short get away outside my home state. I carry a Garmin as a backup, whew. My dealership and Toyota stepped up in top shelf fashion and in a week the car was fixed, detailed and ready. The car is still performing as originally reviewed and the MPG is improving as the car breaks in. I miss not having back seats that fold down and find that the sun really plays havoc on my eyes when reflected in the chrome that trims the interior - which happens all too suddenly and frequently. Sunglasses and seat positioning are not solutions. Someone suggested flat black tape but I'm just not sure it's an aesthetic I could tolerate...unless this becomes a safety issue. As great as the interior looks the chrome could be a deal breaker for a future Avalon.

Great Car for the Money

2013avalon, 06/29/2013

I knew this was the car as soon as I sat in the drivers seat for a test drive. I got the pearl white and tan interior with chocolate accents.. Amazing car. I constantly put customers in my car and being 6'4" in any other car the person behind me never had room. Not they have a good 4" of extra leg room. Not the fastest car but it isn't the slowest. I do not have the navi because I have owned toyota's before and they have never really had good ones, and with cell phones who really needs it...

Whine in the transmission

ktw1958, 05/20/2015
XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Since buying this car with 13K miles on it I have noticed a whine coming from the transmission. I am wondering if any other '13 Avalon owners have experienced the same? Kind of concerning since it's a relatively new car and sounds like an old one! We love the car in every aspect except that one!

12345...7