Skip to main content

Used Torrent for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...9

Pros
Cons
4 out of 5 stars

Good Solid Ride (Whip)

Michigan Driver, 03/03/2016
2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Torrent used with around 90,000 miles. After a few months I started to have engine power problems transmission problems, losing power, running rough. I also had problems with the stabilitrac and antilock brakes. I went to the dealership and they had no answers or ideas on what the problem was. I did some research and a domino effect of thing were improved by a new egr valve as well as plugs and wires. I did all repairs myself to save hundreds. All the problems went away and I've put 10's of thousands of miles on it with no more issues.

2 out of 5 stars
5 out of 5 stars

4.13 out of 5 stars

Knew What I Was Getting

czuchster, 09/24/2010
2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

There are some squeaks here and there, especially with the steering wheel, but I read the reviews before I bought the car and I knew what to expect. The only disappointment has been with the gas mileage, which hasn't quite been up to the EPA estimates. Even my Hondaphile and Toyotaphile friends have been impressed with the comfort and looks of my Torrent. On the safety front, I was in an accident three months ago that sent two other drivers to the hospital but I didn't get a scratch, or even feel sore the next day. I can't rave enough. I've looked at trading it in for something with better MPG, but I can't find anything I'd give up for Torrent for.

4.88 out of 5 stars

Love my Torrent GXP

JRagan, 11/20/2008
2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my '08 Torrent GXP about a month ago. It is Carbon Black. Mine came fully loaded with DVD entertainment system which included a pair of Panasonic wireless headphones. It also has OnStar and XM raidio. The sound system sounds great and movies really rock coming out of the cars speakers. The wireless headphones sound great and are much much better than I thought they would be. I really like how the 60/40 rear seat can slide almost 8 in. I must say the GXP's 264 hp engine really delivers.It gives you plenty of get up and go and lots of power to tow. I drove mine through the Rocky Mtns towing over 3000 lbs and had no problem on the very steep grades. This is my first SUV and I love it.

1.25 out of 5 stars

Don't Buy

tk6227, 07/11/2014
2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased by Pontiac Torrent in 2011 each year i have had problems. Within the first year the radio went out and the repair is $400. The next year my transmission went out $1500. The next year - when it rains the floors in my back seat get wet and causes and odor. Now i am seeing all these recalls for all these things that are wrong with the car. I called GM and the Dealership on several occassions and they just don't care. i am too far under to even get out of the car into something more reliable.

4.63 out of 5 stars

Great first SUV

Eric Godat, 04/28/2009
2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Just read the news about Pontiac perhaps going good bye. Sad but this Pontiac Torrent is a rock solid performer and for good value. It is said GM always stops building a car when they got it right. I echo most of the comments above. This is a fun to drive vehicle and handles well for the 3.4L Minor gripes: the cupholder window control, Perhaps a luggage rack bar on top as standard. Back seat room is far superior to all other midsize SUVs. The only problem? My 20 year old daughter now "claims" it as her primary driving vehicle! But such is life when you teach children how to help pick a car( she picked it). But I have fun on my commute motorcycle

12345...9