Skip to main content

Pricing

Edmunds suggests you pay
$28,449
1...

We have a limited number of reviews for the 2023 Countryman, so we've included reviews for other years of the Countryman since its last redesign.

Pros
Cons
4 out of 5 stars

Lot to like

David Odoms, 10/15/2018
2019 MINI Countryman Cooper S E ALL4 4dr Wagon AWD (1.5L 3cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 6A)

The car has get up and go using the electric and gas, which is engaged whenever you stop and restart the car; it is the default setting. There are many things that I like about this vehicle and a few that could be improved. Being a BMW Owner since 89, this is one of the only vehicles that got me to switch; I wanted a vehicle that I could take off the beaten path a little. BMW X heckle don’t really look the part for off the beaten path type of vehicle and since BMW owns the brand I test drove it. I drove the S, which was very nice, drove the JCW did not like because engine noise was loud during acceleration and was rather stiff handling and over bumps, SE was extremely quiet did not know it was running. The SE performed the best overall in my opinion, but the S is a good trade off. I got the SE because the dealer was knocking off $3k and the government discount for hybrids made priced close to the S. I love the enter/exit height of the vehicle, i.e., no plopping down or having to climb up into it. I love that it came with all of the bells and whistles standard in the limited edition. However, I do not know why they included features to prevent you from hitting a vehicle or pedestrian in front of you but left out blind spot warnings. The interior is excellent and the seats are quite comfy in cloth. Not sure why they put in manual seats instead of power when you have all of the bells and whistles. That is not a big deal as once it is set, I rarely change the seat position except for when wearing winter gear. The rear lift gate opens all of the time without issue using a light kick and then backing up. Gas mileage depends on how you drive. I am still learning, but have managed to get into a rhythm if you will. The trick to getting excellent gas mileage is to use the green mode. However, performance is definitely hampered, but when you are on a road by yourself or heavy traffic, it is great to save during these times. When driving in green mode on the back roads or heavy traffic, I select save the battery, which recharges the battery quite well. I love the cornering lights, because they light up the way when you turn. I love car play and the HK sound system.

Unique & Fun Ride!

FFCOACHDAN, 07/25/2020
2020 MINI Countryman Cooper S ALL4 4dr Wagon AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Stand out SUV unlike the other cookie cutter SUV’s on the market! Cabin space is small but that’s covered by my wife’s car, put the back seats down and I can still load up the latest Home Depot purchase. The inside tech is is fun, looks like no other, comfy ride and many bells and whistles at a competitive price. Plenty of compliments on this unique and fun ride, feel great about my purchase!

4 out of 5 stars

Fun, difference, enjoyable, but...

Ron, 05/30/2020
2020 MINI Countryman Cooper S ALL4 4dr Wagon AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I've been a Honda/Acura guy for a long time. I was searching for a replacement for my Acura TSX and test drove the Countryman S. Loved it the second I drove it. Bought the Countryman S and love the ride, handling, space and look. The one single this that is terrible is the sport seats. The S came with sport seats which are fitted with pronounced side support for your back and base. The seats are EXTREMELY uncomfortable, hard and feels small. Totally ruined a fantastic car. Considering it's a BMW I'm highly disappointed. Really unfortunate as I love everything else and would recommend it. So buyer beware, do a special order and order the normal seats! Or maybe the won't bother you but be warned!

1 out of 5 stars

5 out of 5 stars

Cool ride with a green twist

Andy, 03/06/2020
2020 MINI Countryman Cooper S E ALL4 4dr Wagon AWD (1.5L 3cyl Turbo gas/electric plug-in hybrid 6A)

So happy with my Mini PHEV. Heaps of charm and character and truly a driver's car. Safe and fuel efficient too if you charge it as often as you can. Everyone seems to like it. Not cheap but good value for money. Low tax if you choose the plug in hybrid. No range anxiety but charge and drive it wisely an you will use the soothing and quiet electric drivetrain a lot. Why the similarly priced Outlander sells so much better is one of life's mysteries.

2000 mile review

Eric S, 11/28/2018

So far, love this car. Quiet, sporty ride, great acceleration, awesome materials, comfortable seats. My commute suits this car with 12 miles round trip. Only complaints are grabby brakes (but you do get used to it) and could use a little more range on battery. Transition of battery to engine is seamless, you can hardly tell other than a boost in power. If you drive long distances, might as well get the non-hybrid model. Plug in is fine, like the pre-condition option. AWD is computer controlled, so slightly different than what I am used to, but so far, so good on my steep snow covered driveway. Backseat is comfortable. The selection for vents could use improvement-cycling through options is annoying. But, typically, it is set it and forget it. No problems with rear hatch and use the foot activation all the time. Sound system great. Since my commute is mostly short, my overall MPG since I bought the car (with some long road trips) is over 80 mpg - awesome. So far, plan to buy this car out at end of lease.

1...