Used 2008 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Love my Mini!
By RJ

2008 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Best car I've ever owned! I've had it for 10 years now, and love it! I've owned Chevy, Ford, Nissan, and Toyota in my 40 years of driving, and my Mini performs the best, gets the best mileage (over 40 mpg!), is the most fun to drive, and is SO good looking! The only problem with a small car is sometimes trucks on the highway don't see you, so you must drive very defensively.

Don't buy! Costly to maintain
By Len Daubler

2008 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

We bought our daughter a used 08 in in 2013 with 92k miles. We paid 11k and since owning this have replaced rear brakes twice from once including all calipers. Timing belt replaced. Clutch and flywheel just replacedon't and I have spent at least 7k in Maint and repairs. These costs were from a dealership because their quotes were so outrageous my daughter walked out of the dealership crying with an estimate in her hands. Never again will I buy a Cooper. I would not accept one as a gift!

Don't Drive Away With This Car, Run From It!!!
By Exhausted Mini Owner

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

So, when I was in the market for a new car, a Mini Cooper S Convertible caught my eye. I have always liked Minis, and this car fit my personality to a 'T' (or so I thought). All was well, for about a month. I took it to the shop after I bought it to have them look over an issue I was having with brakes squeaking. I need new front brakes; also, there were about $3000 worth of repairs that my car needed because I had holes in my oil line, and all other types of issues. This took me two trips to the dealership to get all of these taken care of. We will consider those my fault for buying a lemon, without taking it to the dealership before buying it. With those repairs out of the way, over the next two years I have taken my Mini to the dealership over a dozen times. I have had the wiring fixed, I have had a new throttle body installed, I have had to have the entire front end realigned and fixed because rain was just coming right into my convertible top, and had this weird possession episode where my tachometer was telling the rest of my lights and functions to freak out and come on at random. I breaks down at random, and then will work for a couple of weeks, only for the issue to come up again, or another one to rear its ugly head. I purchased my car in Jan 2014, it is now Sep 2016, I have paid for my car more than twice now!!!!! Don't walk, run, run far far far away from this car. The times it does work, I love it, it is so fun to drive. But, if you are the type of person that wants to know if you are going to make if from point A to B...ever, don't buy it.

a blissful honeymoon led to a nasty divorce
By stanley m heath

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

BMW seems determined to make Mini owners tethered to their Mini dealership service departments. There are no instructions for owner maintainence and the instructions for resetting the stupid computer for things as simple as inflating the tires are either incomplete or unintelligible. Oil change intervals of 15,000 miles are too long and only contribute to more trips to the dealer in the long run as the engine wears out. Every Mini owner can attest to the utter worthlessness of the run flat tires. Harsh ride and expensive to replace I put conventional radials on and it made big improvement. For a "sports" car with all the electronics I"d expect and oil pressure gauge and a temperature gauge at the minimum, but apparently BMW engineers knew better. I bought my Cooper S with 13,000 miles and never got the Email regarding the recall for timing belt tensioner replacement until mine imploded at 30,000 miles. The local dealer was willing to replace mine, but up until that moment I'd never had oil consumption problems. Since then it burned through 2 qts. in 5000 miles. Coincidence? I think the fragments from the tensioner ruined the internal parts of the engine. The driving experience is indeed exhilarating, but beware the dealer cost for service can offset the fun factor real quick. I will not buy another Mini or any other BMW product or recommend them to anyone else. Run the other way

So much fun - and oh so not worth it in the end...
By Scott England

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Look I'll make this brief and simple. If you are reading this and other posts you should have an idea now that the Mini is a blast to drive. And you will pay and pay for the constant repairs to enjoy that go-kart feel. The reliability on these cars is abysmal - period. Something is always leaking, breaking or needs replacing. The little turbo simply just eats things up and you will be in the "repair" tunnel of hell once things go south. And they will sooner then later. I simply can't recommend these cars until BMW makes a significant commitment to improving quality. Save yourself heartache and go get a new Mazda Miata.