Used 2008 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Rocket in a Shoe Box
By Raymond Piechocki

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This a really great car that I have enjoyed for 10 years. I have driven the car on long road trips and it has performed well in a number of different areas with great performance and reliability. Maintenance, other than routine, has been at a minimum until about 6 months ago. Then the computer went, costly repair. Remember, the MINI is a member of the BMW family, and that translates into EXPENSIVE. Given its pedigree, I expected the quality to be much higher. There is a lot of plastic and rummer that is exceptionally poor in quality. Rubber windshield gasket deteriorated very early in its life but that deterioration did not effect performance (no leaks), it just did not look good. This happened in a number of cases around and under the car with gaskets and seals. I attend to keep the car forever because the cost of repairs is more than I can get if I try to sell it. I love driving it, and it appears that I will do just that!!!

Mini Sports Car
By Larry

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Dealers are in the big cities, but there garages that work on them. My Mini has required no maintenance other than oil changes and tire rotation. I did put in a new battery last summer. It didn't give me any trouble, but it was getting old. I love driving it! No one can keep up with me on tight curves and ramps. I haven't tried for 140+ top speed yet. I've close enough that I know it will do it. Six speed tranny is as good as any I've driven.

Love my Mini!
By RJ

2008 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Best car I've ever owned! I've had it for 10 years now, and love it! I've owned Chevy, Ford, Nissan, and Toyota in my 40 years of driving, and my Mini performs the best, gets the best mileage (over 40 mpg!), is the most fun to drive, and is SO good looking! The only problem with a small car is sometimes trucks on the highway don't see you, so you must drive very defensively.

Don't buy! Costly to maintain
By Len Daubler

2008 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

We bought our daughter a used 08 in in 2013 with 92k miles. We paid 11k and since owning this have replaced rear brakes twice from once including all calipers. Timing belt replaced. Clutch and flywheel just replacedon't and I have spent at least 7k in Maint and repairs. These costs were from a dealership because their quotes were so outrageous my daughter walked out of the dealership crying with an estimate in her hands. Never again will I buy a Cooper. I would not accept one as a gift!

Don't Drive Away With This Car, Run From It!!!
By Exhausted Mini Owner

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

So, when I was in the market for a new car, a Mini Cooper S Convertible caught my eye. I have always liked Minis, and this car fit my personality to a 'T' (or so I thought). All was well, for about a month. I took it to the shop after I bought it to have them look over an issue I was having with brakes squeaking. I need new front brakes; also, there were about $3000 worth of repairs that my car needed because I had holes in my oil line, and all other types of issues. This took me two trips to the dealership to get all of these taken care of. We will consider those my fault for buying a lemon, without taking it to the dealership before buying it. With those repairs out of the way, over the next two years I have taken my Mini to the dealership over a dozen times. I have had the wiring fixed, I have had a new throttle body installed, I have had to have the entire front end realigned and fixed because rain was just coming right into my convertible top, and had this weird possession episode where my tachometer was telling the rest of my lights and functions to freak out and come on at random. I breaks down at random, and then will work for a couple of weeks, only for the issue to come up again, or another one to rear its ugly head. I purchased my car in Jan 2014, it is now Sep 2016, I have paid for my car more than twice now!!!!! Don't walk, run, run far far far away from this car. The times it does work, I love it, it is so fun to drive. But, if you are the type of person that wants to know if you are going to make if from point A to B...ever, don't buy it.