Used 1995 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews

XR7 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (28 reviews )

Best value car I ever owned.
By Kayla

1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I bought my cougar five years ago for $1000, 150k miles on it and had to make minimal repairs to it since. I put another 50k miles on it at least (the mile meter eventually broke, but it didn't affect the drivability) until it eventually died a few months ago. Drove it back and forth to work, and all over the country for 5 fun years only replacing the alternator, battery, brake pads and tires. The driver door handle eventually broke on both sides, but again, it still drove like a champ. I'm not sure I will ever find a car that I love as much as her. Definitely recommend to buy if you can find one with a decent amount of miles on it.

Great car
By Amy

This car is very comfortable and driving it is very nice. I love my cougar xr 7

Mercury Cougar
By mau5

1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

The best car ever made by Ford. I owned the V8. It was the combination of a sport and luxury car that didnt felt so tiny, but didnt felt so heavy, mantaining that balance and the suspesion was incredible, never , malfunctioneed, smooth yet powerful. Simply the best.

My car
By csshutt

1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I absolutely love this car it handles great. the v6 is a little underpowered but that is to be expected i recently had my high school change the oil in it and thanks to them i am now looking at a 4.6L 95 cougar the v8 has just the right amount of power for the size of the car.

power seats, a v8, and the ride comfort

giving the v6 models a 4.2L instead of a 3.8L

Great car for 13 years!
By grant

1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I owned a 1995 Mercury Cougar from August 1997 until August 2010. The car ran great for the entire time. Only parts I replaced were radiator, alternator, battery, brakes, air flow sensor - really just routine maintenance. Salt on Missouri roads led to some body rust in last few years. Burned/leaked a tiny bit of oil last few years. Gifted car to a friend and would guess they'll be able to drive it for another few years. Great car - would love to buy another one. Great motor, good power and smooth, decent mileage (especially for V8), sharp looking car. Relatively cheap to maintain - even with high miles. Sorry to let this go!

Exterior styling (while dated in 2010) is/was sharp. Motor had good power. Interior design (again dated by 2010) is/was sharp.

Get a standard antennae - not electric. My car came without ABS - optional in 1995 - would have been nice.