Used 2013 Mazda CX-9 Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used CX-9 for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Car is 5 years old and still love this car

abrandvo, 11/02/2013
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this car for 5 years now and am still so glad I made the decision to go with the CX-9 rather than Toyota Highlander. The car still looks and rides like new. I have been diligent about scheduled maintenance but that is all that has been needed as far as repairs. The car has been extremely reliable with only 2 very minor recall notices that the dealer took care of immediately and gave me a loaner to use while they had the car for a few hours. I still love the ride and feel of this crossover compared to others I test drove and friend's cars I have ridden in. It accelerates and handles more like a sports car than an SUV. It corners well and I love the blind spot monitoring for changing lanes and the mirror tilt when in reverse for parallel parking. The technology is great and enhances safety and driving enjoyment with the ability to pair my phone, tablet, etc for calls, texts and music. Mazda has made improvements on MPG added even more safety and technology to the new CX-9 including a more luxurious and upgraded interior , but the way this car is holding up I will likely be keeping it for a few more years.

Excellent Vehicle to drive

jmorana, 07/22/2013

The Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring that I recently bought is awesome. Nice feeling when you drive it, superior technology package, comfort and have 7 seats!!! . Thanks to George Dupuy who took the time to show this excellent vehicle to my wife with all the details. The test drive was a great experience to make the final decision to buy this car.

Bad transmission / torq. conv. & NHTSA: Bad brakes

atom88, 03/23/2016
Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We have a 2013 CX-9. Since we've owned it the torque converter and new transmission were completely faulty and replaced, the brake booster, lower control arms (and now front ball joint). The brake booster problem has existed on other Mazda vehicles dating back to 2003 (over 10 years). in 2012 Government investigated problems of leaking master brake cynlinders of 2008 Mazda CX-9. NHTSA already investigated the 2010-2011 CX-9's and Mazda "extended the warranty" on those vehicles. What about the 2013 CX-9's? Why was the problem not yet remedied on the 2013? I have COMPLETELY lost confidence in the Mazda brand: brakes, transmission and steering. It's a great vehicle, but what good is a vehicle if you cannot stop or steer or have power to the transmission? Safety should be FIRST priority and MAZDA has failed miserably with these issues (especially brakes). The brake booster was supposedly "fixed" under warranty, The next day the orange wrench mechanic light illuminated on the dashboard and cruise control broke. It turns out the brake booster was still faulty. We took it back and they have supposedly "fixed it this time". This is the 3rd major repair of this vehicle and it is now less than 3 years old! I do not think I would buy another Mazda again.

Class on a dime

Bethany P, 09/27/2017
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is my third Mazda I've owned and won't buy anything else. I love Mazda for its dependability and class.

My 2nd CX-9

brantw, 08/19/2014

I previously had a 2009 model I put 92,000 miles on and was happy. This new model (2013) not so much. The sheet metal seems thinner as the car easily picks up dings and dents. The front brakes are pulsating and I do not drive the car hard. The transmission constantly downshifts as soon as I tap the brakes and this is irritating. The car sometimes clunks into gear when shifting from park to drive. Finally, the central locking system is not intuitive. I park in the garage and leave the keys in the vehicle. On several occasions the car has mysteriously locked itself. Thankfully I have a spare key in the house. Still a decent car but would not buy again.

Very pleased!

Chuckgap, 07/17/2016
Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

It seems that owners either love or hate this vehicle. One on line site claimed it was in the top 10 vehicles that are cheaper than they look. I think this conclusion is totally unwarranted. Traded for our CX-9 when we became grandparents. Bought the Grand touring and yes the navigation system is old tech and needed upgrading. The ride is smooth and quiet even with the 20 inch wheels. The front seats are very comfortable as is the second row, third row is tight as in most similar vehicles. My brother has a BMW X5 and I will compare rides any day. I have had no problems with the transmission as it shifts smoothly and we get 20.7 miles per gallon - lot's of highway miles and small city so in heavy traffic I am sure it would be less. Uses regular gas which is a plus. Bought a hitch carrier to improve storage as we haul 2 adults, 2 car seats and a 40 pound dog. I have owned multiple Mazdas and have always been satisfied. I recommend this vehicle but would drop down to the touring edition and either use a smart phone or Buy a GPS add on!

From 7 to 1

mrpladd, 03/18/2013

Test drove 7 SUVs and all were nice and capable but the CX-9 was the only one that really excited me after the test drive. Pilot, Traverse, and Pathfinder were too cavernous. Explorer had too many bad reviews (here, CR) and I rented one for a weekend and it was falling apart at 1700 miles. Acadia was overpriced. Durango was a really nice ride and came in a very close second but was probably more SUV than I needed (I don't tow). The CX-9 website does not do justice to the looks of this SUV. It is very sharp looking and people have given me nice compliments. Got it last week and drove 2 hours to Boston this weekend. So comfortable. Didn't want the drive to end. Fit kids and luggage no prob

Good car minus the navigation

skgpo3, 12/23/2014

I have owned this car for two years now. I got it when I had two kids I now have 3. Overall we have run out of room. My 6'5 husband puts either the driver or passenger seat all the way back causing cramping in the 2nd and third row. It creates constant fights with my kids as they then both adjust their seats trying to get more room. You can't fit 3 car seats across the 2nd row. I can barely do a Costco run with 1/2 a third row up. The navigation is horrific and always freezes leaving me to pull over and enter my destination in my cell. My husband hates my navigation and refuses to use it. When it does work, the directions are not great.

Mazda Engine Problems

Pissed Off Wife, 08/12/2019
Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR! We purchased our 2013 Mazda CX-9 August of 2018. Everything was fine and we loved having an SUV for our growing family. On Memorial Day, our engine overheated while on the way to Mini Golf and it was towed the next day. We found out our engine was completely fried, water pump failure, you name it and its happening! We brought the car to the dealership and they acted like they were going to see what they could do to help us. I am guessing since this is a known Mazda problem, they are aware this was going to happen. They quoted us 10,000 for the vehicle to be fixed and said they can only find new engines. Our vehicle has sat all summer while we continue to go back and forth. We were also only notified about an airbag recall and not about the other dangerous ones this vehicle has. Truly so disappointed. This was the first vehicle my husband and I have bought together and it has been a true stressful nightmare. I hope others are warned before its too late.

Not an Envoy

Draykana, 12/28/2017
Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this car because we outgrew our Envoy. We needed to seat 4 kids and 2 adults. The biggest complaint I have with this car is that it has hardly no head room. With the slant everybody is giving cars nowadays you almost always hit your head getting in or out. I'll note my husband and I are not tall people. The nice thing is it does sits a little higher off the ground like my Envoy does, although it has bigger doors so it is easier to get my little one buckled in her rearfacing carseat compared to my Envoy. I can fit my babytrend jogging stroller in the back, but it takes up the entire back unless I put a seat down. As for driving performance it handles well. I've only driven it on rain and dry roads, but so far it has done great. Good turn radius. Smooth ride even on poor roads. It's a quiet ride. Visibility is a little tricky when backing up since they squashed the top down. Gives you a bit more of a blind spot. This is my opinion so far based on a two month ownership. First time Mazda owner.

51050