Used 2003 Lexus RX 300 Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:

2003 RX300
By SKF

2003 Lexus RX 300 AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am a tall person so the seat is a little short. The power locks have messed up and really pricey too replace/fix. This has been a great car. I have 272,000 miles on it. I have replaced the timing belt one time since I got it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one with a hundred thousand on it.

Owned 2 And Love Both Of Them!!!
By Fred Yanner

2003 Lexus RX 300 AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our second RX300. AWD The first was a 2000 with 52,000 miles when we bought it. It now has 227,500 and Runs & looks just like when I bought it. I found a one owner 2003, RX-300 AWD 91,100 miles on it with navigation plus other updates. Lots of nice upgrades from 2000 to 2003. Both Fantastic cars. I cannot say enough good things about the Lexus RX-300. If you want a car that will take you where you want to go, again & again & again with pure luxury car comfort, plenty of cargo space and 4WD like a snow plow this is the car you want. Knock on wood but we have had little minor problems almost not worth mentioning. #1, A window control switch acting up, #2, A window oh wait I already mentioned it. We are now selling our first Lexus but I have not listed it in over a month. I am having a hard time letting go of a vehicle that has been so good to us. Your first big tune up is do at 125,000 miles. Timing belt, Spark Plugs, Water Pump, Maybe valve adjustment. Average cost. $2000.00, then you should be good to go for 100,000 more miles. Fortunately the first owner on our 2003 did it early. Thank You!!
We have now had our second Lexus RX300 for over one year. Even though it's looks very similar to our first Lexus. Lexus did many updates on the cars computers, suspension. etc. Has been a problem free car. These are a one of a kind car that are a pleasure to drive anywhere and everywhere in comfort and confidence.

Best Car Ever
By Luann Butcher

2003 Lexus RX 300 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have never owned a more reliable comfortable vehicle before. I would recommend to anyone.

Great Little SUV driving it for 5 years
By Ferres

2003 Lexus RX 300 AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had my RX300 for 5 years now, it has 175k miles and still drive like new, no problem of any kind , just oil change and brake in 3 years tires still good after 3 years of heavy driving, smooth ride, ok on fuel, AC and heating is great accelerate good for AWD , reliable, I had a lot of cars in my live Jeep, BMWs, Kia, Honda, Nissan X terra , ford, Montero, Mercedes Isuzo , Hyundai this Lexus IS the best if u find one buy it no matter what is the miles on it it will last for ever

Good SUV
By Brant

2003 Lexus RX 300 AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my RX 3 months ago as a pampered one owner with 102K miles an excellent maintenance history. I have owned several Toyotas so was attracted to the quality and reliability of the Lexus brand. We also have a 2009 Nissan Rogue with 117K miles so I will use that car as a comparison. My RX is based on the Toyota Highlander and drives like one. The ride is smooth but a bit "trucky" on back roads with bumps. The turning radius is wide compared to most cars. The transmission is a 4 speed which is outdated by today's standards. At 6'2" I could use a little more front leg room - wish the seat had more travel (a body shop could fix this for a few hundred dollars). This is a very good car with a lot of features and I would buy it again. Compared to our 6 year newer Rogue, the RX is not competitive as far as handling, gas mileage, and suspension refinement. The car does exude quality though and even the under carriage is really clean for a 13 year old car. No evidence of body rust or rusted out brake lines like a friend's Chevy truck. Toyota/Honda/Nissan must use more alloys as none of my cars have issues with under body rust. October 2016 and the Lexus is still bullet proof and all is well. Just routine maintenance. Traded the car as of April 2017. Wanted something more nimble with better gas mileage. Was starting to have issues the the check engine light and VSC light coming on. it is all exhaust and emissions related and the car was running fine. Seems to be an issue with this generation RX300