Used 1999 Lexus GS 400 Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Lexus GS 400 Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (29 reviews )

Luv my gs
By Raul rodriguez

1999 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

Be sure to shop around til u find good one with few problems. It is almost 20 yr old car.

It truly is "The Pursuit Of Perfection".
By Mike Lab.

1999 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

Perfect car in every single way. One problem in its 18 years of life, the alternator went bad after 15 years. This Lexus is a Tank. 210k miles and feels/looks like the day it rolled out the dealership. Powerful Torque, Very Fast, SUPER smooth, Amazing braking and handling, every little detail is paid attention to. Zero cheap materials/parts to be found anywhere in this car.. It is simply perfect. I've owned all the big brand cars and nothing comes anywhere near this Lexus (now imagine how amazing the Lexus LS 400/430/460 drives.. ) i could say that this drives as smooth as a 2003 Bentley Sedan (which i've driven multiple of times; my cousin's car) if not better. Never left a car review but i simply couldn't pass on letting people know how amazing this car is. Toyota at its finest.

Unbelieveable!
By Allan Duey

1999 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

With over 268,000 miles this 1999 GS 400 will last longer than I will. Except for a fuel pump and alignments, that's it. Smooth and quiet engine with more power than ever needed. Am using 44K on a sticky valve, but "what a car

Love This Car
By GS 400 Lover

1999 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

Helped my mother purchase this car used in 2003 with about 30,000 miles on it. She decided she wanted a 2013 Lexus RX and didn't need 2 cars. We already had 3 cars including a 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 but really wanted this car too even though there are only 2 drivers in the household. We rationalized buying this car as a "loaner" for our neice if she needed transportation to and from the local JC in a couple of years. Well, guess what? She's never going to drive this car! She can drive our 1990 Toyota Celica GT that I still love too. After a good but expensive detailing this car looks almost new except for the paint chips on the front of the hood that I will be touching up today. The dealer offered my mom only $1000 trade in and Carmax only offered her $3,500 for this car, no brainer on matching the Carmax price. My wife has already claimed this car as hers even though she still loves her 2001 Infiniti QX4. It has become our go-to car for most things we do together. It's so deceptively powerful and smooth for a 16 year old car. I'm in a lot more danger of getting a speeding ticket in this car than I am in the Mustang. The Mustang holds 75 mph on the freeway pretty easily but the Lexus can get up to 90 mph if you're not paying attention. Classy, powerful, refined and reliable describe this car. We have every repair and maintenance record my mom ever did on this car and there hasn't been anything major needed on this car in the 90,000 she put on it since 2003. Expecting few things to go wrong with car on its way to 200,000.

Absolutely the best car I've ever owned
By kevin3344

1999 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1999 Lexus GS400 in 1999 and have almost 200,000 miles on it. Other than normal maintenance the car is as solid as a rock. Replaced the timing chain and water pump at 100,000 miles, and the starter and alternator after 10 years. Reliable doesn't even describe it.

I actually never intended to write this review. It was only after hearing the horror stories of some of my friends with Mercedes and BMWs that I realized how reliable my car was! For example, a friends 2005 Mercedes SL55 was stuck in my driveway for a week because he couldn't move it out of park! Another friends BMW goes in the shop monthly.

Simply put, buy this car. You won't regret it.

Still fast 12 years later, best combination of comfort and performance. Did I mention reliable? Live in NC but drove it to NY 5 times, GA 4 times.

None.