Used 2012 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Liberty for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

A good choice

jeffinhawaii, 02/02/2012

I recently purchased the 2012 Liberty Jet edition. Over the past two weeks that I have had the vehicle, I have found it to exceed my expectations from what I have read in other reviews on line. I bought it based primarily on an emotional response - I had a 2002 Jeep Liberty that finally died. I was looking at other vehicles and then test drove the Jet. If you are looking for a vehicle that has the power, capability and look to plow through rough terrain, but then transition nicely to a luxurious ride, the Jet does it in spades. The seating is comfortable, the cabin well equipped and understandable and it really performs on and off the road. No complaints thus far.

Farmer Owned and Approved

Aaron S., 06/03/2016
Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I went from a Ford Truck to this 2012 Jeep Liberty 3 years ago because I wanted a reliable 4wd that could sit 4 people comfortably with a 5,000 pound towing capacity. I bought it a year old with 29,000 miles. I too was skeptical because of the expert reviews, however the customer reviews were very positive and I was impressed on my test drives. Now that I have owned it for several years, this is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have towed extremely heavy trailers and put it in places that I should not have been able to drive away from. It has literally saved my life a time or two. I have never had one thing go wrong with it. The 4 speed auto is ancient, but it is reliable. The 3.7 engine is the same way. Fuel mileage sucks, but you are paying for a capable SPORT UTILITY, not an SUV body on a Honda Fit. This was made to be a sport utility from the ground up. Only complaints I have: The backseat leg room is somewhat cramped, the front foot leg room is cramped, and the trip button on the steering wheel oddly only works half the time, however i just use the other trip button on the dash. Also, the fuel mileage but as stated earlier, it is expected. Here are my fuel mileage numbers: Average 17.04 Highest 21.81 Lowest 12.74 Overall, great vehicle for someone who wants a more capable sport utility that the status quo. Just understand what you are sacrificing in return.

The best vehicle I have ever purchased

dealer7, 04/25/2012

Being 55 years old I have purchased many, many vehicles the Jeep Liberty is by far the best most logical I have ever purchased. The MPG is alot better than advertised, the ride is alot smoother than I expected ,the exterior and interior styling is great. This Jeep is built to last it will most likely last me the rest of my life. I test drove every mid size SUV on the market and found that no other manufacturer comes close to the Jeep Liberty. I let some friends take it for a trip they loved it and are now in the market for one. The Liberty was a great surprise and I am very happy I bought one.

It's not a compromise

jsib, 08/15/2013
Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Never a compromise, a pack leader. Show me another "comparable" vehicle that can tow 5000lbs, great 4x4 for my excursions and snow, looks like a royal and is a snap to clean up!?! I towed 3000lbs from Tulsa to Indianapolis at 19.1 mpg and 65mph. My friend has a V8 Tahoe and never gets better than 15 around town with some highway added in. Roomy, easy to use and a classic elegant design inside and out. Extremely happy with it and it kills me that the replacement is awful and ugly (2014 Cherokee). Jeep forums are filled with Jeep loyalist that actually love to help out. **Update** While the Jeep hasn't grown on me more than the initial months it hasn't diminished either. I went into the purchase knowing the downfalls and the only glaring unfixed downfall to mention is the suspension. After not driving the Jeep for a while I jump in and am appalled by the suspension. I am currently in a rental (2015 200C) and the same downfall exist, horrible suspension characteristics. Everything else I can attest the Jeep lives up to it's name. It hasn't been a pavement queen and getting into the Rockies is an uneventful proposition. We do not drive to the extreme but have easily driven the stock Jeep through a myriad of environments: deep sand/mud/rivers, steep ascents/descents, and pushed our level of rock crawling to hang some wheels. We do all of this loaded to the max with gear, family of four, and the dog all stuffed in or on the Jeep. The first aftermarket addition was the air filter housing which is poorly made. The next addition is an aftermarket lift/suspension upgrade from some Old Man out there. With the added benefit of a 7yr/100,000 mile warranty my boys will be driving this in ten years easy. If I am not.

First nice car for wife in a long while

Pastor Bo Higby, 02/15/2016
Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We just bought a 2012 Trail Rated Liberty with the full sunroof about a month and a half ago. We are 2nd owners and we bought it with about 35k on it. We just drove it with our kids from Boise to San Diego (and all over San Diego for a week) and are now 3/4 of the way home. This thing is built solid. Drives smooth and has done decent on gas. Below 80mph increases the mpg's. Best we have calculated was just under 22mpg. The transmission in this thing is incredibly smooth. Edmunds says the engine is sluggish, but I think it just isn't as jerky as some other motor/tranny combos. We love the exterior design and the way it drives. The full sunroof is really cool and a neat feature. I will say this; I am 6' tall and weigh about 250 and the driver's compartment does feel 'snug', so if you are much bigger than me, ya might want something a bit bigger. Overall, we are thrilled with it. I'm 47 and my wife is 6 years younger. We have 2 kids (9 & 4) and all of us love this car, so far. Interior is a little chincey, but hey, it's a Jeep not some foo-foo high end suv. If you get one of these, I think you'll be glad you did, just like we are. - August, 2016: We still love this Jeep. We have taken several more road trips including a few from Boise, Idaho to Trego, Montana, where we now live. The Jeep is performing well and now that we drive a mile down a dirt road to get into and out of our new house, we are really pleased we have it. We are looking forward to our first north woods winter in it.

Best choice for the money

keno90, 02/23/2012

This vehicle is the best choice for people who are on a budget, actually need a 4x4, towing and have children. Edmunds is crazy to say otherwise. I wonder sometimes where these guys live and if they have a budget. There is no other vehicle in this class, at this price that even comes close. We just traded our 2008 Liberty in on a 2012 because they were selling them so cheap. We got a very well equiped (4x4, V6, towing package, sunroof) Liberty for $23,700. That was the dealer price folks, not with anything down or traded. We were actually upside down on our trade but it was worth trading because it lowered our payment $50 a month.

12 months and no regrets

krisiam, 11/28/2012

First and foremost I love this car because of the value -- an unbelievable deal at the time I got it at the end of '11 taking advantage of mfg. incentives left me with a 4x4 with popular option group for 22K. That's so low for a 6 cylinder 4x4 SUV it's unreal. Front seats are supportive and would be comfortable except for the placement of the driver's side seat belt the metal part digs into my hip and becomes painful on long rides. Stereo has decent sound and the output to hook up the mp3 player is a nice. Have had some electrical issues which affect the horn and audio controls, have had it in 4x for the same problem(s). Holding out hope they'll resolve it, want to keep it forever.

Owners Review 3 years (35k miles)

PAF20, 12/21/2015
Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Car review people don't know what they are talking about. They don't live in Colorado. The Liberty has adequate power to get you on I-25 on long on ramps. It is good in city traffic on acceleration. The 4 speed transmission may be outdated, but the newer 7 + speed transmissions on newer Jeeps like the Renegade or Cherokee (not the Grand) designed by Fiat have problems, beware. The 4 speed transmission on the 2012 Liberty is very reliable. Sure it is not a luxury vehicle, but you don't live in it. It is good overall despite it's fuel economy, but most 6-8 bangers don't get that well of gas mileage, especially the Toyota 4-runners, which the Jeep Liberties are supposed to be matched to, not like the Rav-4 or other wimpy crossovers that use 4 bangers. Car critics don't know what they are talking about because they don't own the vehicles they test. It is just their opinion. Talk to ones who own the Liberties and uses them. You will not find very many Jeep liberties on the used car lot. Many are keeping their jeeps.

All exellent consumer reviews Why do the pros not like this vehicle

adrexel, 09/13/2012

I have a 2004 wrangler sport and just traded in a 2009 grand cherokee with a quadra trac 1. Living in maine I wanted a vehicle that was trail rated and could seat 5 and tow 5000lbs This liberty fit the order. My wife and I love it. I being older the crossovers do not appeal to me if I want a soft ride I would by a car. Great vehicle!

Not Recommended for Long Term Ownership

Sam, 01/29/2019
Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My 2012 Jeep Liberty has problems that should not be happening for under 60,000 miles. Bought vehicle brand new in early 2013........Some problems include; the interior dashboard pieces started popping out due to the elements, side plastics on drivers side seat cracking, ignition accculator, one power window motor regulator, power window master switch, and shocks....To make matters worse the tires wear out faster in this type of vehicle regardless of keeping up with the rotations......Not worth owning. Jeeps are only good for short term leases. Not ownership. Too many problems after the first few years.

New Jeep Owner

dvkiel, 11/06/2012

We've only had our 2012 Jeep Liberty Sport for about a month. So far I am very pleased with the overall performance of this vehicle. It is very solidly built and handles very well. I am a bit disappointed with the gas mileage (20 mpg) thus far, but with only 800 miles on the it I'm hoping it will get better. The overall interior, and exterior design are very nice. The media center with gps and satilite radio nice as well. The hard drive is an added bonus. I think the professional reviewers are selling this vehicle short. Hope to have it for a very long time to come. This is used as pleasure vehicle.

Liberty 10 years later

FILO, 01/22/2018
Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We recently purchased a 2012 Liberty Latitude from CarMax. We bought a 2002 a year after it came from CarMax in 2003. We loved the old one but it tired and we got a Town and Country 2012. My wife's car, a 2008!sevring convertible was difficult to use in Texas Summers. This winter she decided she wanted the van. So I got the Liberty. It's the old one but so much better. Everything. The Latitide came with leather, chrome, power, and a sunroof. It's a tad bigger than the 2002. It is comfortable and rides like a Liberty, tad bouncy but on the road and easy to steer. It's electronics, motor, transmission and all is vastly improved. We had the 2002 for 10 years. This will be my last vehicle. It's awesome. I recommend it if you want a true SUV that can do it all.

pleasantyl surprised

richie, 07/23/2017
Limited Jet 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

last year i purchased a 2012 liberty jet limited although the gas mileage is not great i knew it going into it. you do not buy a jeep for great gas milage. But since live in upstate ny where the winters can get rough I drove right through the snow where the highway has not been plowed for several hours without a problem. I hope this vehicle last for one million miles

Luv my jeep liberty jet in style

Teri in G-ville, 01/16/2018
Limited Jet 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This suv is comfortable affordable dependable. Tows our boat with no problems. It's six years old over a hundred thousand miles and runs great. We keep up with all recommended maintenance. Love my liberty.

Not a good everyday vehicle

HeyGuy, 09/24/2018
Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I should have done more research. My current lease was ending and I needed a new vehicle. I found a 2012 Jeep Liberty Sport with low mileage and at a great price, so I got it. In reality, I probably could’ve lived with it but I’m so happy that the dealership has a 3-day guarantee return policy. After a couple days of driving, I realized I had made a mistake. After one day, the gas meter was down a third – this thing eats gas. I did some research and realized how poorly this Jeep ranks relative to other vehicles from 2012. There are just so many more – better performing – vehicle choices. The body is super heavy, and takes effort to stop. The steering is stiff and uncomfortable, and the acceleration isn’t great. Once you need to get past like 35mph, the rpms shoot up way high. I should’ve listened to my gut at the dealership, but figured I would just get used to the driving dynamics (again, thank lord I could take it back). Plus, the engine is super loud – a constant growl that forces you to speak a bit louder to passengers. Not yelling by any means, but you wouldn’t hear a whisper. The interior isn’t nearly as bad as people say, decent features, comfort, and speakers. I think the exterior looks great, but not good enough to make up for just about everything else that’s bad about it. If you need an SUV specifically for off-roading or towing, this Jeep will do the trick. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

Good Value

Tami Ham, 02/24/2016
Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Recommend for smaller people, not very much comfort for a man larger than 5"9. The jeep is perfect for me, my husband is not very comfortable when going any distance. It is fun to drive and is a very snappy little car. It looks great and we have had 0 repair bills. We purchased extended and forever warranty but never have needed to use it. Not much room, but fantastic interior design it is as cute and would be perfect for 4 wheeling or for your go to vehicle for short trips. A perfect car for a young female driver.

love my jeep

latisia, 01/22/2016
Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great jeep just can't fit 3 car seats across the back. 3 people yes just not car seats.

Worthy

Worty, 07/29/2017
Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2012 Liberty sport, which I added rims and sunroof to, which gave the truck a boost in its appearance. I added an off market alarm which one day truck wouldn't start because of it. I installed an alarm and add ons shortly after purchase. I had to remove alarm and purchased one from dealership which truck has not had any starting problem since .I can't seem to figure out why my headlight flicker from bright to brighter but other than that, 5 years later, I love my truck.

My pursuit of Happiness is LIFE in my Liberty

Kelly, 04/18/2018
Limited 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Needs 4 wheel drive because she doesn't like snow..but she loves gas..

Why a jeep liberty

Jeepman, 05/27/2020
Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

It's cheaper than a wrangler, and goes about anywhere you would want to go off road. Looks kinda cheap inside, but wears well. I have had mine since new with no problems.

27000 mile PRETTY LEMON

craig waters, 02/01/2017
Limited 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car with 12 miles on it and the Nightmare is here at 27000 miles my car is 5 years old going on 6. It was the Sunday before Christmas I was driving the car and all of the sudden the horn began blaring on it's own, lights flashing on and off....... I'm in Las Vegas NV where the average driver has a firearm. I was afraid I would be shot because the Cars ahead of me actually thought I was harrassing them to move. drivers actually stoped their cars walked back to me threatened to kick my rear end if I kept blowing my horn at them. Several drivers flew me the bird and started blowing their horns back at me trying to provoke an altercation, Some irate drivers screamed at me and called me names, Some harked up and spit at me one irate man stoped in front of me jumped from his car and kicked my car. I thought the FACTORY alarm was faulty so I went to Audio express which was a few miles away and begged the Manager to please help me stop the horn he tried and tried finally he cut an "OFF MARKET piece from the ALARM......THE FACTORY ALARM THAT CAME WITH THE CAR WHEN PURCHASED BRAND NEW MIND YOU!!!!! That stoped the horn. That was done but ha ha ha it was NOT the Alarm.... The week of New Years..My car would NOT START called roadside assistance they could not get the car started he told me I needed a NEW BATTERY....... I went Mobile Mechanic he told me the Battery had dead cells. I brought a brand new Battery and he installed. Went to start the car a week later it was dead as a door knob I called roadside assistance again he tried and tried to start it all types of lights on the dashboard lit up I have never seen so many things lit and it just died..... Roadside assistance said I needed an Alternator..........I brought the Alternator and had it installed. Now I still have NO HORN although I brought all of the Batteries, Alternator and Brand New Alarm.........I am afraid to drive my car ...... and my latest NEW problem the antifreeze is disappearing from the car. I am a Senior 66 years old and afraid to drive this car......I thought I was buying a fine AMERICAN CAR......I cannot afford the prices at the Dealer Service dept at Chapman Dodge Las Vegas NV . I am stuck with this LEMON

Headache and or Nightmare

Logan Johnson, 12/06/2018
Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I Tracy McNeal - Johnson purchased a 2012 Jeep vin# last 6- 200628 for approximately 16,000.00 (cash) in Feb., 2018. Since i had this vehicle, its been horrible . Engine light stays on... brought the vehicle back three different times for service and lost of work and earnings from my New York City Fire Department Job. Jeep service experts stated claim that my vehicle was fixed with all new parts and ready for the road. You would think that if Larchmont Jeep dealer would have service ALL vehicles before sale? Presently as we speak, my Engine Light is back on and there is NO heat, heating system failed ! I conferred with Manger John at said location however, he wants me to bring my vehicle back on Monday, December 10, 2018 once again for service. It's costing me time and money that I don't have and extremely inconveniencing my safety and lifestyle driving this Jeep vehicle. Furthermore, went to Eastchester Chrysler Jeep for service and manger stated that this jeep is a lemon.... Have part on back order regarding Engine light being on..... Tracy McNeal- Johnson (646)423-3340

LOVE MY JEEP LIBERTY MORE THAN 8 VEHICLES

Angelica, 12/31/2017
Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

its the best vechicle one EARTH

Don’t read into the negative headlines

Alek , 06/26/2020
Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Growing up in rural Ohio, we were taught to be frugal. There wasn’t much in the way of luxury. So when I got my first vehicle, a 2000 Ford ranger, I expected to have it for another 10-15 years. After exhaust issues, along with countless Ohio winters eating away at the body, it was finally time to get something new. I wasn’t looking for a liberty when I got it, but if I saw the reviews, I wouldn’t have got one. However, don’t listen to those reviews, as you’d be making a BIG mistake. The 210 hp motor, while being undersized in comparison to the competition, is more than adequate. Has no issue getting up to 60 and beyond, and is relatively quiet in the higher speeds. Handling is what you need it to be. These jeep is easy to drive, just enough “fancy” to appeal to the higher class, and enough “no frills” attitude to appeal to that crowd. This jeep is perfect for your drive to work, a cruise on the highway, a trek on the trails, and anything in between. With a 5,000 pound tow capacity, it’s also good for towing your camper for your weekend away. When comparing fuel economy to other suvs in its class, The liberty does fall flat, and the seats are a little uncomfortable, but when it comes down to it, for me, no vehicle compares to the liberty. If you’re looking for a reliable, go anywhere vehicle that’ll last you 20 years then the liberty is for you! I highly recommend it!

It's Great

truckres, 03/02/2012

We spent over a year researching and testing vehicles before we decided on the Liberty. We wanted something that did 3 things. Could go off-road on some fairly tough trails, could tow a camping trailer, and can still be used as comfortable daily driver. The Liberty does all three very well. We have had it a month now, and find it to be very comfortable to drive, quiet on the highway, maneuverable, great in the snow, and though early perfectly reliable. The Limited has a nice leather interior and other nice to have features like power seats, bluetooth, etc. We strongly considered Xterra, FJ Cruiser, Wrangler, and 4-Runner. All were either too big, too expensive, or not daily driver friendly.

Defective Drive Train

doodlebugger, 12/18/2011

Have driven this vehicle for 3000 miles to date and have found the vehicle to have a defective drive train. Only on the 4X4, there is a power surge in the cruising range of 60 mph. Have been to 3 dealer service departments...none have offered a solution other than don't drive in the 60 MPH range. Two of the service department refused to acknowledge there is a problem. Typical manufacturer denial. The problem appears to be in the computer/torque converter and is much more pronounced on concrete roads than on asphalt roads. One service manager suggested it was caused by the road surface, not the Liberty.

Bad

Matt, 10/03/2019
Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Terrible on gas have had multiple issues and have only had it for two users definitely not a good car if your looking to use it as a daily

My new Jeep

Melinda Rosario Moreno, 01/10/2017
Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

If you are a Jeep Liberty lover this limited edition 2012 will definitely impress you. The heated seats, mirrors and navigation are awesome

Awesome

Rebecca Hansen, 04/20/2017

No complaints here

not great for families

danielle, 04/25/2020
Limited Jet 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

my 2012 jeep liberty jet has NO get up and go. Takes a long time to get up to speed. There is no room in this car, everyone including driver is squished. Gas mileage is terrible. I got it when single, now have a husband dog and 2 kids and its more hassle than its worth, can barely fit in the front seat with the infant car seat in the back. Overall its just not a money saver or family car, if your single and not worried about money than it will probably work for you

2012 Liberty

Brian Hayes, 09/22/2020
Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle used with 100,000 miles on it. Have since put 12k on it. It’s a Jeep. What else is there to say? I hate these review folks that compare a Jeep to a CR-V or GMC Terrain. They are a different animal. They ride rough. They are noisy on the Highway. But take them off road and they leave all the cute utes in their dust. Mine is actually pretty fancy on the inside. Heated leather, nice stereo. Have put front and rear brakes on it but other than that, nothing. Motor is powerful enough for what it is. MPG could be better, but again, it’s a Jeep.

51050