Used 2009 Jeep Commander Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jeep Commander Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

200,000 miles and counting!
By vw69bug

2009 Jeep Commander Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been perfect for me. I live in a rural area with LOTS of snow and drive 50 miles round trip a day to work. Dependable and safe. It's been a great SUV!

Quite Expensive to Maintain Despite Warranty
By Charles Rockwell

2009 Jeep Commander Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this car because for an extra $2500 you could get a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty just like a new car. Good thing we got the warranty because we have had to replace a cylinder head, a transfer case, a differential, the power steering hoses, and rain has a massive leak to the interior thought the windshield area. Sounds great with the warranty, right? Well, we were without a car for two months waiting for the transfer case, no Chrysler-Jeep technician will even look at the rain leak, and they charged us almost a thousand dollars to replace the power steering hoses, and another $680 for the differential despite the warranty. Chrysler and the dealer just make up what they want to cover under their bumper to bumper warranty as they go along. If you don't like it then hire an attorney and go sue them. On top of this you have all the wear and tear items like shocks that went 15,000 miles ($1100 to replace all four), and differential servicing every 16,000 miles at $720. Brakes cost $650 per axle, and $200 to bleed them. This Jeep is like maintaining an old Mercedes. The Hemi engine is nice, but not very smooth due to the 4 cylinder mode at light throttle. The Jeep has excellent traction in bad conditions and on Forest Service roads. The seats are comfortable but could use a tilt adjustment on the lower seat cushion and possibly a thigh cushion adjustment if they really wanted to go first class. The rear seats are short on leg room unless the front seat passengers cooperate. You cannot drive long distances with four tall people in the car, however if the rear seat passengers are children or smallish women there is no problem. The air conditioning is weak and if I lived in south Texas or Florida I would not buy this car for that reason alone. It is fine up to 95 degrees but struggles after that. My gas mileage is 12 mpg in city driving and 16 mpg on long trips driving 75 mph. Frankly, this warranty issues sour me on Fiat-Jeep-Chrysler. I have had similar issues with my Fiat warranty where the issue is obviously covered but they want to charge me anyway. The constant fighting with warranty costs and the lack of reliability will having me switching brands with my next purchase. Too bad because the car is fun to drive.

Great SUV from a Trusted Brand
By Daniel

2009 Jeep Commander Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Mainly used on road as a daily driver with occasional trailer towing. 5.7 HEMI has plenty of power. Interior is comfortable and the Commander has good enough room on the inside for a mid-sized SUV.

I love this Jeep!
By kest812

2009 Jeep Commander Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited first and when I finally had to start looking for a new car I chose the Jeep Commander. I have had it since April 2010 and have had not one problem with it. I drive all over the country in it, Long Island, NY to Orlando, FL etc. We are a Military family, so its my Husband and I, 2 kids, 2 dogs and 2 cats when we move (which is a lot!) and it fits us comfortably. It's a smooth ride, performs AMAZING in the snow and on the beach and I feel safe having my family in it. I am upset they stopped production on these. I love it.

Beach capability is amazing, we've never had a problem and we take it on the ocean and bay beaches all the time.

Look elsewhere
By diggyp

2009 Jeep Commander Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Drove this car for one week during west coast trip.
Cannot recall that a car that was so unenjoyable to drive.

First ,
the acceleration of the base V6 engine is
very poor.
Merges on the crowded California highways are just downright scary with a car that accelerates like an overloaded tractor trailer.
200 horsepower is inadequate for such a big SUV.

Second, the car was not designed with visibility in mind.
Without passengers,
there are some large blind spots on both sides that make lane changes a harrowing experience.
With passengers,
you can forget about even being able to check if there are oncoming cars when you are looking to change lanes.

There are some positives: Backup sensors; Third row seating