Used 2011 Jaguar XJ Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Jaguar XJ Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ model:

Luxury Rocketship!!
By D.Sham

2011 Jaguar XJ Supersport 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl S/C 6A)

This car is so fast its a bit untamed...which I like!! It is so easy to spin the tires that you have to be extra cautious on wet pavement and turns! The seats are quite nice, more form fitting than I expected. I've received so many compliments on the car! The gas mileage is surprisingly good too if you're on flat land. I can average 23-29mpg at 70mph. The downside is the rear seats are surprisingly cramped for such a long car. Also the ergonomics of where you place your elbows and knees is alittle uncomfortable, the electronics can go wonky at times, and the button and feature placement on the infotainment and center console takes some learning. Overall though, I bought this car used with 44K miles on it and its been a blast with no issues!

An electrical disaster
By Richard Martin Jr

2011 Jaguar XJ 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

Bought it new from Jim Coleman Jaguar in Columbia Md. Been plagued with electrical issues. Now the car goes into an complete electrical shutdown mode. It get frozen in "Safe mode" where you can only limp along. Both a local Jaguar repair shop and Jim Coleman Jaguar have recommended that I scrap the car even though it only has 53,000 miles, as they can not find the problem and can not guarantee they will ever find the problem regardless as to how much money I may spend. Per advise from Jim Coleman Jaguar, filed a complaint with Jaguar "CRC" (case 8000474963 if they happen to read) Three weeks later, no response from "CRC". I may actually have to scrap what is otherwise a pristine car with a price tag of $100,000 at the 53,000 mile mark.

Jaguar XJL 2011 BLOWS Engine at 56K miles! RUN!
By JZapata

2011 Jaguar XJ XJL 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

I must admit that this car is one of the sexiest and best looking vehicles I have ever owned. Unfortunately the historical mechanical issues that for years plagued Jaguar have not disappeared. I purchased this black beauty with just 10K miles in 2013 from a third party dealer that was selling it for his client. The previous owner was the wife of a CEO and hardly ever drove it. Here we are July of 2017 and at just 56K miles after driving it it from Miami beach to the Florida turnpike, a seven mile drive, the engine is now blown. No warning lights, just went into protective mode and by the time we pulled over the damage was done. Smoke everywhere and with the family in the car fortunately it did not catch fire as gas and oil leaked everywhere. Of course the car is out of warranty (ended Nov 2015) and after a very long process with Jaguar USA HQ executive escalations the best they could do is take 50% off the retail cost of the new engine. I spent over $18,000 to put a new engine on a luxury Jaguar that had just 56K miles on it. All service records were provided. It was maintained at the dealer, oil changes which are synthetic done yearly or every 10K miles. The only thing not done was the 5 year maintenance. The entire experience dealing with Jaguar USA was terrible. I felt like I was on trial with them trying to prove I was a negligent owner. In the end they decided on a "Goodwill" benefit of 50% discount of the retail cost of the new engine plus parts needed that were damaged. I still can not believe that Jaguar was unwilling to stand by their product and cover this issue. Especially considering that while the car was under warranty in 2014 a similar problem occurred and they repaired and took care of it at 0 cost. Those records were also provided though completely ignored. Their conclusion was based on that I was the third owner of the car and that the 5 year maintenance was not done. Completely unbelievable! In the end we all have to make our choices as consumers. I own an F150 which has a 130K miles and no issues, had a Benz 150K miles and no issues, currently own a Porsche 30K miles no issues as for Jaguar I will NEVER purchase another no matter how sexy they are! For those of you reading this post know that Jaguar USA is only interested in lining their pockets with 0 regards for their consumers especially if out of warranty. My recommendation is don't walk, Run!!!!

Here kitty kitty.......
By GMilliken

2011 Jaguar XJ XJL Supercharged 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl S/C 6A)

This is my second Jag in 3 years. I bought the XF, which I thought was the cats meow. It was all good until I took it in for scheduled maintenance and I was given an XJ as a loaner. Within 2 months I was driving the XJL. I have had the car about 6 months now. I bought it used with only 11k miles and it has been a joy to drive and a real head turner. This car is so fast that I have had to se the alarm when I am driving on the Freeway. I broke down and bought a radar detector after I got stopped by the highway patrol over Memorial Day weekend. I came over a hill saw him, looked at my speed which was 90 and just started to pull over. By the time he caught up with me I was pulling onto the shoulder. Unbelievably he did not give me a ticket. Complimented the car and told me to watch the speed because of the holiday weekend. I was shocked. My insurance went up when I bought the car and I was dreading what a ticket might do to it. The car has never denied me the power I have requested. You press the accelerator and it just keeps going, no lag or hesitation, just pure power. Oh, and the sound of the engine, lovely. When the sports mode is engaged it is a completely different driving experience. Where the car is fast to start with the sport mode ads a bit more edge. You have the option to use the paddle shifters when in sports mode, but the shifting is so smooth and in tuned with the car that I let it shift itself. Only complaint is the touch screen interface for the Entertainment System. It leaves a lot to be desired. It is not responsive at all unless the heal of your hand accidentally touches the screen and then you usually loose whatever you were doing. Work around is the voice recognition system. It works like a charm, so I use that when I need to set up Navigation or play with the sound system. Back seat is unbelievable with the picnic tables and climate controls. You can actually cross your legs in the back seat. The fit and finish is second to none and the ride incredible. It oozes luxury but in a kind of understated way. Friend just got a new Benz, I have owned them in the past and the new ones seem kind of gimmicky to me. The Benz logo pops open and a camera comes out when backing up, when the door is open it shines the words Mercedes Benz on the ground. Kind of tacky, I thought. If you are looking for a car that stands out from the usual and has sports car power and awesome luxury this is your car.

Jaguar XJL Supercharged
By carsrgr8

2011 Jaguar XJ XJL Supercharged 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl S/C 6A)

We bought a used jaguar xjl supercharged in march. We were looking at a range rover, porsche panamera or maserati quattroporte. We decided to test a jaguar xj and this was it. Stiched leather, glossy burl wood and chrome accents cover the cabin. The car is fully loaded and comes with ventilated seats front and rear and massaging seats. The engine is a monster supercharged 5.0L V-8 that makes 470 hp. The instrument cluster is digital and looks like a laptop screen. It is very well lit and is made to resemble real gauges but you can bring up navigation and radio on the screen. The exterior also has no radio sharkfin which contributes to its sexy roofline. Buy it and you won't be disappointed.

ventilated seats, massaging seats, engine exhaust and growl, elegant airplane style air vents, comfortable and soft leather, sun shades, 20 inch rims, automatic trunk and neat digital cluster.

There are just a few lower quality plasticky pieces in places where you cannot see it nor do you ever touch it however in $100,000+ car when new you would expect a little more. I also would like to see jaguar fill out their line up with a plug in hybrid, a base four cylinder, keep the super v-6 and super v-8s and add a top of the line XJ-12 with a supercharged 12 cylinder to compete with the mercedes s600/s65, bmw 760, audi w12 and bentley flying spur. I would also like to see an update to the navigation and audio system. The car's ride quality is on the sportier harder side and should be more comfort oriented on the L models. I love my car and would buy a newer one in the future.