List Price Range

Used Sonata Plug-in Hybrid for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

A Lemon. Has spent over 60 days in service.

T James, 12/06/2017
Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

For the 1st 7 months, this car was great. I bought it brand new. Super great mileage. It is my wife's commuter car, and for about a year, she drove less than 27 miles a day, on average, thus saving a ton on gas. About twice a month, it simply did not charge overnight--frustrating. But, it stopped charging entirely, and spent 9 days in the shop at 7 months. Then, it went another 7 months of sporadic not charging, until it stopped charging entirely again. It spent 41 days in service. Since then, it has given us Hybrid System warnings requiring trips to the dealer, along with that sporadic not charging. I am taking it in for service in 2 days for it's 3rd warning since it came out about 4 months ago. Hyundai has agreed to buy it back, basically following the lemon laws of CA (I have signed an agreement forbidding me to give details). My wife and I loved the car until it stopped working. And, worse, these two long stays in service would have cost me almost $7,000, had it not been under warranty. Remember, the battery is guaranteed forever to the original owner. But, the starter system is not. I believe the same starter parts are used in the 2017 Sonata PHEV and Kia Optima PHEV too. Sad. As of January 2018, we no longer own the lemon. We now own a 2018 Accord 1.5t Touring.

Plug-in hybrid is amazing (still as of July 2020)

Tony D, 07/12/2019
Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Update 7/20...I now have over 43,000 miles on it, and at last service still have plenty of brake lining on the original brakes, due to regenerative braking system. Also still have good tread on original tires, and still get 30 miles EV mode, so I’m still averaging over 75 MPG. (Original review). I have owned my 2016 Sonata PHEV for 3 years, and can report that I still get about 30 miles of full electric driving before the hybrid engine comes on line. I have not seen any decrease in battery range during the past 3 years. Love the high tech safety equipment and the quiet comfortable ride. Depending on the length of typical trips, the fuel economy is incredible. Not unusual to go 1000 miles between gas stations! (model type below is incorrect)

Hybrid System Failure

Salahuddin Ahmed, 08/09/2017
4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

2016 Sonata Plug-in Hybrid. I have it for little over a year and 17,500 miles. Hybrid System failed twice in three weeks. First time car won't even start, had to tow. Now I am afraid to drive it because the possibility of getting stuck. NOT ACCEPTABLE. Lost a week in dealership first time and now it is back there again.

Hybrid System Failed Twice - Engine lost Power

Prabhat, 09/10/2017
Limited w/Blue Pearl Interior 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

My Sonata PHEV had Hybrid System failed not once, but twice within a span of 1.5 months. It's been hardly 1.5 years since I had bought this car. In both cases the Check Hybrid system warning comes up and Engine looses power. The 1st time it happened, it was in the middle of a busy freeway and was left all of a sudden with no power on the engine. Extremely dangerous and life threatening problem to face with. The 2nd time it happened it was on a 3 lane local Parkway still dangerous as I am left with no power to control the car. The car had to be towed to the dealership in both cases. The dealership took 1 month to fix the car the 1st time, it ran for close to 1.5 months and again the same problem and its back at the dealership. Now they want another month to fix it!!! Highly unreliable car, imagine getting this problem in the middle of nowhere, this car cannot be trusted. It's a Lemon.

Great car!!

Jeff Bu, 08/24/2016
Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Super-quick and quiet. And with 27 miles of electric-only power, I use zero gas during the week. No "range anxiety" on weekends because the hybrid gas engine kicks in automatically after that.