Used 2019 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Ioniq Hybrid for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

High value, High Tech, Low-medium Price

Mike, 03/28/2019
SEL 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

Has a smooth but by-design hybrid acceleration (which is spongy and sluggish unless you really get aggressive with the pedal). This is somewhat mitigated by the sport mode, which is an on-the-fly shift on/off while in "D" (drive gear). The cockpit is low to the ground, so you must lift yourself out of it, but not too low. Folks with back injuries might have difficulty. The tech package is amazing for the price point on the Ioniq SEL. Cruise control is very advanced + lane assist + radar-guided collision detection and follow distance from the cars in front of you + back up camera + passing car detection + other stuff. I think the stock audio system is exceptional and tuned to the cab, if not slightly bass-heavy--or you can go to the Limited and get the Infinity 8-speaker as an option. I'm loving the Apple CarPlay integration. Split HVAC is great, and can switch to driver-side only for greater fuel efficiency. The driver and front passenger have cavernous leg room! Visually, the car is sedan-average-looking in my opinion, but looks way better than the Prius. The ride is very car-like compared to an SUV. You feel the road when it's rough, but on a nice road--smooth as glass. I recommend purchasing WeatherTech fitted all-weather floor and cargo mats, and I'm thinking about custom alloy spoke wheels to dress it up a little.

Very Enjoyable Vehicle

Gorj, 05/24/2019
Limited 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

I have been wanting a more economical vehicle for several years, but did not care for the style and ride of what was offered. Then I read about the Hyundai line of Ioniq vehicles and was impressed. I did much research and talking with several Hyundai dealers and finally made a deal for a white Ioniq Limited with the Ultimate package. I have had the Ioniq for almost a month now and have not been disappointed. I am averaging 50 MPG which I find very good for a brand new vehicle. On one road trip it managed 62 MPG. With a hybrid, one need to learn to drive differently to achieve good MPG. Some say the seats are not comfortable, but I am 210 pounds and I think they are just fine. I also think the handling and braking are good - not a sports car - but good. I am in my mid 70's but the road noise seems about normal for a vehicle of this class. The Ioniq is solid going over rail road tracks and bumps. It has most all of the creature comforts of vehicles costing twice as much. Three things I wish it had: rain sensing wipers, power passenger seat, and a hood that did not need a rod to hold it up. With the front seats in the position I would normally have them there is ample room in the rear seat for passengers. And of course it is loaded with all the safety and tech stuff, like lane keeping and departure warning, backup warning and camera, rear cross traffic alert, blind spot alert, adaptive cruise, dynamic bending headlights, navigation, Android Auto, Bluelink, Infinity Audio, memory driver's seat. The rear luggage area has plenty room for four passenger's luggage and because it is a hatchback it has more room than sedan of this size with a trunk. There is also some storage space under the luggage area floor. The Ioniq comes with an emergency puncture repair kit, but I ordered a space saver spare kit which fits nicely under the luggage compartment floor. The dealer experience, Crain Hyundai, of Conway AR, was the best. I told them what I wanted and they got it. There was no pressure to buy an extended warranty or accessories and it was delivered with a full tank of fuel.

Amazed by my Ioniq

Murray, 06/19/2019
Blue 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

In April of 2019 I traded in my 2014 Accent GLS Hatchback 6-speed for a new Ioniq Hybrid Blue. I loved driving the Accent, but found the cargo space to be somewhat limiting at times, and this was my main reason for the "upgrade". So far, I have been very impressed with the Ioniq. The car is very comfortable, quiet, and easy to drive, and the mileage has been nothing short of amazing. I used to get about 5.5 L/100km in the Accent, and to date I am averaging 4.0 L/100km with the Ioniq -- amazing considering the Ioniq is a considerably larger car than the Accent. On one particular trip across Toronto in the heart of rush hour, the dash display was showing 2.9 L/100km -- that's 81 miles per U.S. gallon. I was somewhat disappointed that the Blue trim did not include the cargo cover, and the price to buy the cover in Canada is insane, so I ordered one from a U.S. dealership close to the border. My only other complaints are that the stock radio does not sound very good, and I would have liked fog lights, and a tachometer in the display, but I consider these to be minor gripes. I am surprised that I don't see more Ioniq (of any "flavor") on the road, as from my experience at least, this is an exceptional vehicle. *** UPDATE - 1 year later *** I have owned the Ioniq for over 1 year now, and this car continues to impress. The mileage is not as good in the cold weather, but after a full year, my average fuel consumption is 4.5L/100km. I would not hesitate to recommend this car to anyone. *** UPDATE - year 2 *** The Ioniq is still running great. I took an all-day trip a week ago, and when I got home, the display was showing 3.7L/100km. With the way gas prices are going (thanks president Biden), I am sure I will appreciate the great gas mileage even more. Great car!

bright blue Hyundai Ioniq

Alexander Koops, 10/21/2018
Blue 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

I just leased a brand new 2019 Hyundai Ionic Hybrid blue. It is the basic cheapest hybrid you can buy and I got the base cheapest model/version of this car. The car looks more awesome then Honda or Toyota in my opinion, and I love hatchbacks. The bright blue color is attractive and beautiful. It shifts well and is automatically in the economy mode all the time, but you can easily switch it to the sport mode and control the shifting and get more power if you want it (I love that I have the easy ability to switch!). The gas mileage is estimated to be an average of 55 mpg which is AWESOME! Best mpg in its class!! It is very comfortable and decently quiet inside. The only tiny issue I have is the driver's seat is the basic seat and doesn't have the "Lumbar" adjustability I had on my last car, but it is still comfortable. I'm assuming if you got the SEL or Limited it would come with that feature on the seat. Another great thing is this hybrid has a lifetime warranty on the battery to the original buyer--that is a great value! I highly recommend this hybrid.

not reliable

tom blair, 07/28/2019
Blue 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

Within the first 3 months of owning this brand new vehicle, I've had 3 major malfunctions. First, unexplained engine warning lights, second, unexplained flat tire. Then the water pump failed, was obviously defective to begin with, and corruded other parts. Hyundai didn't even have the parts in the United States to replace the defective ones. Took 2 days for a dealter in Baldwin, Missouri to look at car then 7 days to get it repaired. Auffenberg Hyundai in Cape Giradeau, Missouri said they would arrange for the vehicle to be transported to my home but reneged on their promise. This is my update at 7500 miles and about 9 months of owning this car. Gas mileage has gone from 55-60 mpg to 40-45 mpg. Now there's no technician at the Cape Giradeau Missouri dealership where I purchased who can work on this new car. For me more lies and failed commitments from Hyundai.