Used 2004 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews

Used Elantra for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

easily a 300k+ car

CJMerry, 07/13/2016
GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a mechanic, and i have had this car since 180k. the engine is solid, no internal leaks except the valve cover gasket. The transmission with proper or improper maintenance, can last about 250k with little to no problems. the engine has original head gasket, intake gasket, and exhaust gaskets. the only common problem that I've seen is that the rear engine mount has a tendency to tear, causing shuddering during acceleration. the electronics are solid, no computer failures and I have not needed to replace the starter or have any problems starting. the aptitude needed to operate things inside the car is very simple. it has comfortable air conditioning that can last a long time with proper maintenance. I have gone on long road trips in this car and you could be able to stay in the drivers seat for a little bit over an hour and a half. the interior has no tears, stains, or sun damage, a simple vacuum can be able to make the car look like brand new. the steering wheel has a tendency to fall apart at about 150k, but it still works! also, the visibility is great! I have minimal blind spots, and great visibility. The acceleration is pretty decent too. I can be able to get to 60 mph in under 10 seconds with excellent control. I have had it up to 110 and it is pretty stable at high speeds. This car is the best car that I've ever owned for it's low pricing, and I will be buying this car again once my current elantra runs into the ground. Update: now at 286k and still going strong! Update of an update: the car has kicked the bucket at 302k miles. Head gasket and piston rings were failing, and blue smoke was being emitted from the backside of the car. All in all, that car was one of the longest lasting cars that I’ve ever bought.

Hyundai Elantra

drealee73, 11/04/2011

I was in an accident with my 2004 Hyundai Elantra and although it was totaled, there is nothing bad I can say about this car. The other guy ran a red light and I t-boned him at 60 mph. The airbag deployed and my seat belt did not break. This accident was three days ago and I'm just sore. No broken bones. I was at the emergency room for about 30 minutes and was told I was fine and could leave. My Hyundai Elantra saved my life and that is why I'm taking the time to write this review. I highly recommend this vehicle for its comfort, safety, size, and pretty much everything else about it.

Best car I ever owned

ackr13, 02/25/2014

I bought my Hyundai new in April 2004. I now have 123,000 miles on and could not be more pleased. Besides replacing tires and brakes( front rotors one time) the only repairs have been Timing belt, water pump, belts, tune-up with plugs & plug wires and front struts all done at 100,000 miles. Runs as good as new with very little rattle. I did replace the hatch lid struts 2 years ago.I average 24MPH in city driving, 32 on a trip. Love this car. I will run it till it dies. I traded my wife's 2006 Elantra GT in on a 2012 Santa Fe. Don't regret it a bit. Another great vehicle.

Such a good car

missij12, 03/05/2012

I bought this car new back in college. 8 years and 100k miles later I'm finally about to give it up for something larger. The biggest repair I've ever had to do on this car is replace the battery. Other than that, every day this car has started right up and performed great. It's been all over the country and even got me through the mountains without a problem. I couldn't ask for better gas mileage out of a car with such good acceleration. I did install an aftermarket stereo a few years ago to support my Ipod but the factory stereo was fine besides that. It's going to be hard to say goodbye!

2004 Hyundai Elantra redcrimson

BB, 11/11/2015
GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Has been a great reliable car!!! Would most def buy another Paid $5000 with 50,000 miles and now it's has over 100,000 miles and still a great car!!!!

Great car!!

pnpain, 06/09/2013

We've had our car since (I think) Spring of 2004. It is a great little car! Nearly everything about it is excellent! Pick-up and go is good except for when the AC is on and you are trying to get onto the freeway. The seats are a bit uncomfortable for long trips (2+ hours) though. Our CD player/faceplate is glitchy after all these years. If you press a button (even the off button) too hard it shorts out the faceplate and when you let go it turns back on. Sometimes it simply wont work unless you remove the face plate and put it back on. Our car only has just less than 98,000 miles on it.

I was pleasantly shocked

jacobe, 03/24/2011

This is my first car and I love it. It handles very well, the best out of all the ones I test drove. It has 102k miles on it, so I replaced the timing belt and some other items, but other then that it runs amazing. Has never left me stranded. The acceleration is very good, for the size of the motor. Also this car goes amazing in snow. When we had our blizzard where we got 6 in. I was going around 4wd drive trucks that were stuck in the snow. Overall it is a great little.

My wonderful car

Staci wahl, 03/19/2016
GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this in 2004 and it is the best car I ever had. I still have this car low maintenance no problems and passing it down to my daughter. I'm sad because it's 2016 and I can't find another that suites me. Best car and I even have the 2003 Santa Fe. I will keep these best ever made.

130,000K miles, and it's perfect!

petarvn1, 02/27/2013

This car was bought for my eldest brother when he started college. He got this car in '11 with 101K miles on it. Since then, another 30ishK miles have come and gone, and it's as fresh as ever. It does show it's age (fuel tank has hairline fracture in it, has needed a lot of engine parts replaced recently) but for a car driven like this one, it's not bad at all! The manual gets better MPG's than our 40K mile '06 auto elantra, and it looks just as good! Just one problem with this car, and that's the trunk. It's large, but not as larger as the hatch's. Overall, a great 1'st car (especially for $4995!) Only problem right now is a missing trim piece that fell off due to bad glue!

The best car I have ever owned, and a good friend.

Grant E, 11/06/2016
GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just turned over 302,000 miles on my good friend. It has never let me down or left me stranded in 12 yrs of service (2 miles on odometer when purchased). Starts every time, runs almost like brand new, fast and reliable (5 speed manual). Yeah I take care of it (oil change every 4000 miles "No matter what"). Everything else has been routine maintenance brakes, rotors, tune up (once a year) it costs less than $20 for spark plugs (get NGK's G-power) an air filter and a PCV valve. I replace the spark plug wires every other year at a cost of about $45. Follow the manual (especially on the timing belt) this is an interrupt engine and you will kill it (dead) if that belt breaks. The book says 60,000 I do mine at 75,000 (but I drive about 27,000 a year). The front struts are original (this has been a problem issue with others), I replaced the back shocks at about 190,000 but I do haul stuff sometimes (lots of room to haul stuff for a car). The front bearings have been replaced and one of the backs. Anyway I have spent less money repairing this car (total) then you would spend in a weekend at mardi gras in New Orleans. Great gas mileage 34 mpg average, I got 46 MPG on a stint through New Mexico when the car was a child with only 58,000 miles on it (say 40+ a lot back then). Now that it is broken in I get 33 in the summer and 28 in the winter. Still does not use hardly any oil (less then a 1/2 quart between changes 4000 miles). It did use some at one point, before I changed the valve cover gasket (230,000 miles). I have been through one clutch at 165,000 and it will probably need another one at 330,000 (oh well $380) (Don't take it to a dealer they will charge you $1000, that's because it is so rare they do this kind of repair). This car is an amazing piece of machinery (get the stick, if you can find one). 0 to 60 in 7.8 sec (6500 rpm of course). Quarter mile in 15.7 at 93 mph (not bad for 138 hp). Top speed 127 mph (it gets there reeeal slow after about 114) never been able to get passed 127 (ahh well). This car is great and will probably rust out before the engine goes (I am thinking 500,000 Plus). If they made it as an all wheel drive it could be the best automobile ever produced (but then it would have some kind of issue with the all wheel drive system that killed it at 140,000 miles). I mean it is not a Subaru or an Audi.

2004 Hyundai Elantra

tlc51, 05/19/2011

I purchased my elantra 5 years ago second hand with almost 40k on the clock. In the time that i have been driving this vehicle it has performed very well. Trips to Queensland and other parts of N.S.W. and on quite a few occations towed a trailer or a caravan with this car with no faults at all but only recently replaced the starter moter. had all the servicing done accoding to the log book and had the timming belt relaced . and now in may of 2011 i have only done 125,000. ks I did have a bit of trouble with the remote to unlock and lock the car as the warrenty was comming to the end and was charged for the recharge of another remote . but inall it has been my best car yet .

best car I ever had

mbarwick1, 09/25/2014

Brought July 2004 have how done 240,000 km always been reliable and very cheep to run just changed normal thing tires,brakes,radiator and clutch. I would buy another Elantra when I can afford it.

The Elantra is the Best!

Hector/Hector, 09/19/2003

The Elantra outperfroms all cars in it's class except one, The Toyota Corolla. The Elantra does not outperform the Corolla but ties it! The Elantra has a higher top speed then all cars in it's class! Since I;ve been driving my car, it gives me a reason to drive. The interior is welcoming and secured. The exterior has a sexy European look. Since Oct. 2000 I have never had any problems with my 2001 Hyundai Elantra. Not only do you get more than just an ordinary car, but you also get an unordinary warranty! 10years/100,000 miles on the engine!! Now, that's tight! Pick the Elantra, it is guaranteed to be the best choice in the class!

Great except for gas economy for size

jobber1, 05/14/2011

I bought it new and now have 162 K on it. Nothing's been required beyond standard maintenance. I have never had any problems with it and it is fun and comfortable to drive (and I am 6'10"). I have owned a 1972 Fiat 124 sedan (auto), 1982 Toyota Tercel (stick), 2001 Honda Accord (auto), 1974 VW Rabbit (stick), diesel 1980 VW Dasher (stick), and a 4-cyl. 1989 Dodge Spirit (stick!). I would rank this Elantra up with any of them ... except for gas economy. The fuel economy is disappointing, but to fair, it does get what the sticker said it would (around 30 hwy). That was like worst of its class that year. (The 2011 Elantra is best! Oh well.) I love my Elantra.

Farewell, old friend

avhelp, 08/03/2012

Someone once told me machines don't have a soul. I disagree. My Hyundai took me to work and happy places, safely and always got me home. We logged 131K miles together, and it just got to the point where it got tired. Life had been perfect except for a battery at 100K. Now, at 131K, We needed new struts,shocks, breaks, timing belt, water pump, CV joints, tires and headlight glass. With all that mileage, how much longer could we go on before something big broke? I took the repair money and bought it's cute cousin, the SOUL. I know the Kia and Hyundai family are as one, so I am looking forward to more far off trips to enjoy. Thank you, Blue Hyundai, for taking me to and from safely.

Fine, but too much engine vibration

jjrobert, 02/06/2009

Maybe I got the lemon, but there's too much engine vibration at 2500 rpm. My rear-view mirror sounds like it's trying to tell me something.

Simply a Great Buy

Careful Buyer, 06/26/2009

I researched plenty b4 buying my Elantra because I wanted a problem-free car (a real challenge when buying used). The '04 Elantra is highly rated by many car reviewers. Having owned mine for 6 months and driven 12,000 miles, I want to share how wonderful owning this car has been. I bought this car with 52K mi on it. It is a loaded 5-spd GT Hatch. I like the styling inside and out. I have not had a single mechanical problem. I have had to replace one headlight bulb and it was easy. If the biggest complaint about a car is changing headlight bulbs, common sense told me it is a smart car to buy. And the gas mileage? 35 MPG combined; that's 450 mi b4 the fuel light comes on! Worth every $ I paid.

A big time lemon!!!

John N, 10/12/2009

This car gave me problems practically from the get go. The air conditioner went out literally 8 times in the 5 years I owned it!!! The first 6 were covered under warranty, but after the warranty expired, the dealership refused to stand by their work and fix it for free. Also, both cv joints went, and the cooler system needed major repairs. All of this before 80,000 miles, and I was meticulous with the maintenance. I never missed anything. I will never buy a Hyundai again.

Hyundai

Charbabe86, 12/04/2009

I have had this care for almost 5 years. I haven't had a single problem with it other than minor things like oil changes, tire rotations, things like that. It was cheap and affordable...Hyundai's are by far the best car for the money.

Still going after 5 years

KSierra, 11/23/2009

I got my Elantra just a little over 5 years ago and it’s still going. I purchased the extended 100,000mi/10yr bumper to bumper warranty. I’ve had to have my air bag sensors (both driver and passenger)and Kenwood CD player replaced. I’ve also replaced my headlights a few times. Didn’t have to pay for any of it! I leave my headlights on ALL the time so burning them out is to be expected. Over all I’m am super happy with my Elantra. I drive between 20 and 30 miles every day on average and get great mileage. Maintenance is a little pricey (in for my 60k,today ouch!) but the dealership is reliable and friendly (same guys in the service department since I got my car!)

Love This Car

Kris K, 05/17/2010

I bought my 04 Hyundai "used" as a lease vehicle previously. This is the most reliable car I have ever owned. I like all of the standard features that on other models would cost extra. I have had to replace the radiator at about 90K, replaced the back brakes and rotors at about 100K, and have needed to replace headlights about every 6 months. The biggest inconvenience has been replacing the headlights, but this pales in comparison to the overall reliability of the car. I recently totaled this car (not due to the car!) . One thing that concerns me is that the airbag did not deploy in my head on collision. But I like this car so much that I am looking for another Elantra to replace it.

Zip, Zap but no Zoom

Prit, 06/25/2010

Just recently bought it 2nd hand with 82k on it. I loved its light body and they way it moves around city. I drove 2 heavy cars before, 96 Camry and 2000 infiniti both v6. This car is feather light. I love it driving around city where it is more fun. It zips and zaps around corner. Heavy driving is boring with this car, where heavier car excels for it comfort. Good mileage. Younger generation will love this car it feels like i am driving a go cart. Highly recommended it will put smile on your face.

My Elantra GT

tgoggin, 12/03/2003

I have had my Elantra now for 9 months. Everything I researched about this car has proven out since I have bought it. Peppy engine, well appointed interior, great sound system, handles road noise well, and the best set of tires on economy class car I have ever seen. I looked at Civics, Toyotas, and Ford. The Ford product came close but the warranty on the Hyundai can't be beat.Oh did I mention a fully loaded (leather, wood grain dash, ABS, Traction control, Upgraded sound system, Michelins at 195)Elantra GT was still 3 G's less than every other car in its' class. And none had these options.

Buyers beware

junkhyundai, 12/06/2003

This car is not reliable. With a few initial minor problems and after 4000 miles later, the engine leaks coolant. A well-made car should not have this kind of problem, IMHO. The point is, you are buying a cheap car and that is what you get. Their cheap service comes as part of a cheap package, too. Be warned. You are taking a risk.

Love this car

Sandy H, 08/01/2019
GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have an Elantra GT. It is very dependable. Looks cute. Average maintenance. Replacing the radiator was the only major repair since I bought it in 2012. The clear coat is now breaking up.

Do Not buy a Hyundai

jackiefran, 11/04/2004

Do Not buy a Hyundai! They do not stand behind their products! Warranty sounds good until you go to use it !! Hyundai dealership scammed me all the way !! After they they screwed me the salesman hit on me and tried to .. too !!

Great Car - Better than an Acura

jmmcconnell1962, 03/03/2008

I have had no problems with this $15,000 car in my 3+ years of ownership which is more than I can say for my $40,000 Acura MDX. Other than the Passenger Airbag Sensor recall, this car has not been in for repairs other than the regular scheduled. The MDX has had several recalls for major items - power steering pump, transmission. Also had a cracked fuel tank pipe. It's really too bad that Hyundai is still getting penalized for being Korean and Acura/Honda gets high praise for being Japanese. I'll buy another Hyundai before a Honda/Acura product.

Driver's side window in door lock

Robin pound, 04/17/2017
GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2004 Hyundai Elantra I have had trouble with the lock working for all the doors window going up and down I have replaced the window I have replaced the part for the window so it works when it wants to if not I have to walk around the car to lock the doors had it fixed it Ricart when I first bought it had it fixed it three other garages and it's doing it again they need to recall

Cheap car/ Poor quality/Bad Service

KrisMJ, 02/13/2004

My current milage is only 10,000, but when I stopped by Hyundai repair center to fix my brake sound and steering wheel vibrating, they chrged me about $600, which is out of warranty. It's very funny. I'll never buy Hyundai any more and don't recommend anybody. Please don't buy Hyundai.

Airbag

Johnar, 12/14/2003

Airbig woun't stay on on the passanger side. Hyundai has put a light for the passanger side seat. You have to have 50# for the airbag to activate. When you drive my car it goes on & off Sometimes it stay on. I have only had it 3 weeks and in the shop 4 times. Its now a lemon the law says they have to replace the car. The dealership gave me a new one off the lot and it did the same thing. Hyundai had a man to work on it and he said it was ok NOT! So The dealership called Hyundai no answer yet. Thanks for your time John

Great First Car

drivinglove4l, 11/18/2012

The 2004 hyundai elantra gt was my first car, I recently got in an accident on the freeway and my car was totaled. I only had the car for 6 weeks, but I loved it, it was comfortable to drive and got me where i needed to go. I have been looking for another car but have yet to find one that compares in my mind, i would definately recommend this car and i wish i could find another one.

Terrible Car

cory , 01/24/2004

Terrible Car, Terrible Warranty. Do not buy this car because of it's warranty. The car breaks down on a daily basis and the warranty covers a very small amount of the cost to repair. I will never buy any hyundai again!

Hyundai still makes bad cars

tigertina, 12/18/2008

The steering column started squeaking at 160,000kms. Never had that problem ever before with any other car. This problem is not covered in the warranty, and have learned other drivers have faced this problem. The car is too light and need to put in bricks to stabilize it on the road else it drifts. Didn't matter how many times it was checked over, its like the centre of gravity is off on this car. The car has too many blind spots. This car has had more problems with it then my 1997 fort escort with 345,000kms on it.

A great buy, few problems

Rings, 01/14/2008

The 2004 Elantra is definitely something i will be keeping around for awhile. Some people might say that Hyundai does not make reliable cars, I don't know about Hyundai's past but i assure you that this sedan is nothing but reliable. I had purchased the car with only 18,000 miles on it and now it has over 50,000 in just one year. I still have not run into a single mechanical problem nor any interior problem. I had to replace the brakes but those are wearing parts. I drive both highway and city getting a 28mpg. It is most definitely not at its best when in snow though, it is actually not a snow friendly car at all. Ill just take it easy in snow and keep driving fun, good on gas, reliable car

This is a GREAT car.

Peter Laurie, 12/13/2003

For the price, this is the best car I've owned. Yeah, it's cheap, but that only makes my friends wonder why they spent 10K more on a car. The hatchback is terrific. I can get anything into the car, including a 6-foot step ladder. Does it have a lot of power? No. But with no desire to go off road, I can drive anywhere I want to. Occasionally, I know I cannot pass a porsche when I'm going uphill. The car has a super-designed interior. Feels just right, even for big guys. My wife and I both like to drive it.

What ?

phurbace, 01/15/2004

Just a nice car for the money

Honda quality at Hyundai prices

ALTY, 06/02/2004

I purchased the Hyundai after pricing all the cars in this catagory and driving most of them. I thought I would take a chance on the Hyundai because of the 10 year 100000 mile warranty and havent been dissapointed about anything with the car. It drives and handles every bit as well as a Honda or Toyota plus it will outrun either of them and get 38 MPG on the highway. I will buy another one.

A good car for the price

CN, 11/29/2006

This replaced a Camry that had too much 'crash customizing'. Overall, the car is well designed. With the rear seat down it holds a large amount of cargo considering the size of the car. There is adequate legroom for people over six feet tall. Sunroof tilts up to open as a 'no-draft. Less noise than opening a window. Still noisy though. Overall noise with all windows and roof closed is acceptable but not non-existent.

So far so good

Mike, 01/06/2007

I received this car new as a graduation gift and since I have put on 78,000 miles and have had it just shy of 3 years. It has been a dependable car, and has had no mechanical issues since 2004. I don't know if I would by a Hyundai again, not that it has been bad, but rather because although it has been a good car, the scheduled mantainence is rather pricy, and rather frequent. Gas mileage also needs to improve over what it is (never above 30 in city...expect around 27/8, never above 34 highway...expect 31) If looking at cars, definitely give this one a look.

04 GLS Elantra

Ashley, 04/22/2007

Bought the car brand new. Very good for about 1.5 years, then had to replace brake pads 2 times in 1 year, among other problems. Not good handling, car does not want to turn. No acceleration.

Great little car...

glassfern53, 05/02/2008

This Elantra was my second Hyundai (and, I'll probably buy another). Never had a single problem with this car. The gas mileage is ok (24 mpg city and up to 30 mpg highway). I'm a fanatic about maintenance, but, great quality at a good price. Thanks Hyundai for this baby!

Dependable Car!

Trish, 06/05/2008

I have had one repair in 20 months of ownership! I have 75000 miles on this car and my only complaint is that It just won't break down and give me an excuse to buy a luxury car! LOL I get 26 miles per gallon even without cruise control.

After 4 years ...

DetourM, 08/28/2008

After 4 years of owning my GT, I'm on my third set of tires (all good brands), have had the breaks replaced once and the front end aligned twice. This is all within the first 40k miles!!! The car is horrible in the snow, almost to the point of being dangerous. Other than that, I've had no other real issues. It still looks good and handles great. On my daily commute (city and highway driving) I average 28mpg. I'm debating if I want to buy a 2009 or go to a Civic/Corolla

Please Read

swtness0924, 08/31/2008

Ive had my Hyundai which now has 46k miles now for just under 3 years now. Up until this year I was absolutely in love with my car, until it started giving me problems. I've replaced both front and back brakes twice within a year. I've had my transmission fluid flushed (shouldn't have had to do this). I've had problems with it stalling, the RPMs jumping like no other. I no longer feel safe in this vehicle nor would I ever recommend it to a new buyer. I've had it to the dealer 3 times and no one seems to know whats wrong, and everything that they "think" is causing it IS NOT covered under warranty. Paid for a warranty that doesn't cover a thing. I'm highly disappointed & looking for a new car!

Don't get the 5 spd.

Roger, 09/18/2008

I've had a 2004 Elantra GT hatchback for two months. Great car - fast, safe, reliable, comfortable. However, the 5 spd. is extremely clunky; it feels more like a truck transmission than a car transmission. Moreover, the fog lights come on only when the headlights are on, which rather defeats the purpose of fog lights. Otherwise, terrific car.

Great overall, lousy in snow

alfagirl, 12/21/2007

This is my 2nd Elantra, first being a 99 wagon; pleased with both, but one consistent problem: both are horrendous in snow. I think the tires are just too wide, and they float. I've driven in snow all my life - Italian sports cars to trucks; these are the first cars I've ever been seriously uncomfortable in. Snows all around help, but narrower rubber would be the best. Overall, great car, 5- spd gets 34 mpg consistently - on my 8 mile commute and highway (at 80 mph last time). Just replaced rotors all around - I don't normally go through brakes, but..??? Would recommend to anyone - great package for the price!!

Very Reliable Car at 60,000 miles

Marcia, 10/23/2008

I bought my Elantra new and have had no major mechanical issues. I've had to replace brake pads once and front headlights twice (which the dealer replaced at no expense to me). My only complaint is that it is very noisy inside (road noise), but overall, am very satisfied with its performance.

Nice car, but could be better.

SevenBizzos, 12/12/2008

Bought a 2004 GT new and with the car approaching 5 years old, I'm overall satisfied with the car, but... Doing the suggested, periodic maintenance has been a huge headache, mostly focusing on the dealerships. The prices for the 30k, 60k, etc. check- ups are horribly overpriced and the dealerships don't even perform what the owner's manual suggests they do. You'll take your car in for a repair (like a PCV valve) and it's 10 minutes of sales talk before they tell you they haven't even looked at the car. I've even had them tell me I needed a grossly overpriced cabin filter replacement only to find it missing a week later when I did it myself. Thievery or the car didn't come with one.

Great car!

emorse, 03/05/2009

I've had the GT for five years now, few problems, only one repair I had to pay for myself. Original clutch and front brakes. It's been fun to drive, economical and reliable. After 99,000 miles, I'm looking to trade on a Sonata, and I just wanted to say that anyone who buys one of these used, if it's been treated right, you're getting a great value.

I love my car

Maria, 03/14/2009

I love my car. I wasn't sure about buying a Hyundai although I knew it had been selected as car of the year. However, my mechanic recommended it and I am super glad I listened to him. It is a fun car to drive, I can park it anywhere and gives me great mileage.

12345...6