Used 2001 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used CR-V for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Reliable 4 wd commuter with fun to boot!

Brian_B, 09/03/2002

I bought my 2001 LX in May, 2001 and it's ran great as of this writing (August 2002). My purchase criteria were: 4 ddors, 4wd, PS, PB, AC, CD player, Good MPG (>25 hwy), good looks, Comfort, Safety, and Strong V6. I got all of these but two: Comfort and a strong V6. I decided to go ahead and buy after driving the 4 cyl. It's not as strong as a V6, but it moves the vehicle just fine and gets good MPG. The seats aren't too comfortable though. And lack of front passenger armrest is a mystery? It's needed!

Solid car/very functional!

ZMan, 09/17/2002

This car has been great to drive. The only problem I've has is drivers side power mirror stopped working in 20 below weather in Upper Michigan last winter. It magically started working again.. I recommend this car to everyone.. I usually get 22.5mpg highway @ 70-75mph

Good CRV

Erin, 09/29/2002

Vehicle has been very reliable... excellent on fuel economy too.

Nearly perfect MINI SUV except power

wz4wwk, 10/26/2002

It is a Honda, and as expected, its reliability, build quality, and comfort make a nearly perfect balance. As far as a mini SUVs are concerned, you can't beat CR-V's interior space. One thing that makes me say that it is only a 'near' perfect about this car is its fuel economy and power. My 2001 CR- V LX is slower than my Mom's 11-year old 1991 Accord EX on uphill freeways. I constantly get about 22.5 MPG (combined) which is worse than my other car (1999 Nissan Maxima with automatic transmission). How does Honda explain that a 4-cyl 2.0 liter engine gets poorer MPG than a 6-cyl 3.0 liter engine?

honda crv 2001

jan, 11/18/2002

overall the vehicle is wonderful.... the only things i do not like are the power lock button is only on the driver door and the engine makes way too much nosie when driving on the hwy

Go Honda!

bug12444, 12/15/2002

Great price. Great performance. Could use a V6 going up some of those hills. And the cup holder is useless. They need to fix that problem. Otherwise, perfect for me. Thanks, Honda folks...

K's CRV

k_killings, 01/05/2003

Fun car to drive! Eng.loud inside under load or going up hills. Also more road nosie than I would like to have.

Great vehicle

j_dub1, 02/05/2011

This is a great little SUV, it pushes through snow with no problem, it can take a rough driveway, and will get you where you need to go no matter what. We live in the mountains and the little 2.0 4-Cylinder struggles sometimes and the transmission has trouble keeping you at 70 on the interstate but around town or on a back road you can't beat this car. 4 adults can ride in it comfortably. I can fit in the back seat without issue and i'm 6 feet tall. If it wasn't for the mountains this would be the perfect small SUv. It starts every morning without issue and the leather doesnt feel cheap. Just a great little vehicle.

2001 Honda CR-V

twrljck14, 08/05/2003

I absolutely love my Honda CR-V. I have had it for over two years and have yet to have troubles with it. It's very reliable and very fun to drive.

Great Little Car!

two_turtles, 09/05/2003

Exceptional quality. No problems at all. Gas milage is better than advertised. 2001 model is a little underpowered, but car performs well on city streets and freeways.

Good Buy

Eil, 09/08/2003

Bought it used with 15K miles on it. It's perfect for us. Couldn't understand why everyone gets an armrest except the front passenger, but I got it installed aftermarket.

Depends what you will use it for.

EH, 07/19/2003

Wife loves it, i think it's okay. "It's cute" and has a tight turning radius. Great for short runs to the grocery store. Definitely NOT a highway car. Seats are uncomfortable, road noises way too loud. Steering wheel set at an ackward angle. No problems with it yet.

What it lacks

hondadriver101, 11/12/2003

Overall, the 2001 Honda CR-V is a good compact SUV. It rides comfortably on the highways, and it's gas milage in the City couldn't be better. It could come with a more aggressive suspension system and with larger tires to make it more fun off road. But overall it's worth the money.

The best small SUV for the money

MG1, 12/04/2003

In 2001, the CRV, in my opinion, was the best overall car-based SUV, for the money. Rav4 was my first choice, but it is tiny inside compared to CRV and very expensive with the same options that CRV comes standard. A bit underpowered, but it is one of the most reliable vehicles ever made. I have 51000 miles and I only changed the oil and filter. It would not climb any rocks, but it has a great carlike ride, as opposed to Nissan Extera and the other truck based SUVs.

Very happy with purchase

Dennis , 06/30/2005

Test drove this car before I purchased it and find take off wasn't as fast as I wanted it but, It is only a for a 4 cyl.. Other than that I'm very happy with my purchase. Very dependable. I take care of my cars and plan to have this for many years to come....

Still Just Rght

RayG, 07/08/2005

Well, it's been 3 yrs since the last review I did and the old gal is still ticking! Not a lick of trouble, mileage still up there at 24-26 in mixed/mostly highway driving. Regular maintenance is the key, but I suspect Hondas in general don't suffer much in sniggly little problems, or major ones either. Only problem that scared me was The 'Engine" light came on one day. Dignosed as 'Human Error'. Don't forget to tighten those gas caps, folks!

Would buy another CRV

Mike S., 08/11/2005

Really Dependable solid car. This car has really held it's value!

grammy's car

nancy thompson, 08/16/2005

Great auto for this grammy driving to teach in the Brown County schools for four years.

Luv my car

Jillith, 12/30/2003

I am in this car over 2 hours per day in commute time. I carry loads of cargo that always fits. My car starts every time I turn the key, the fuel economy is great, the power is sufficient for driving in Phoenix area with no mountains. This vehicle is somehow larger on the inside than it is on the outside, I don't feel cramped at all. My complaints are the same as all 2001 CR-V owners. Weak stereo,no fuel cap holder, goofy window controls...little stuff. Other than that...Great! If I get a newer veh, I'll just get another CR-V. My mom bought the 2002 and Honda had fixed some of the 2001 and earlier issues. She also adores her car!

2001 Honda CRV - Best in class

elchino02, 01/25/2004

The absolute best mini-SUV you can find. I've had it for 3 yrs and has only depreciated $4,000. That's 80% value retention. Typical Honda quality.

tsim

tsimone, 02/19/2004

A great car for getting around close to home.

Never looked back

luvvit, 02/26/2004

Get this as a fun, practical car that would last a long time. It has exceeded expectations, plus holds its value like nobody's business. Engine is just adequate at 150 hp but that's part of the package.

CRV

Diablomeans666, 04/19/2004

Good car and really reliable

LOVE my CRV

betzchaz, 05/14/2004

Can't say enough about my CR-V (which has been dubbed Cute Recreational Vehicle in our house!!) Have to turn this baby in at the end of the month due to lease being up. Going to dread every minute of it. It has been a wonderful vehicle and does great in the snow!!! Haven't found a thing I couldn't fit in the back of it with the sits folded down either!!

Super car, new tires help road noise

Chino, 08/01/2004

This vehicle is great. Some reviews talk about road noise, and I know what they mean, but I got Goodyear's new Assurance tripletread tires, and what an improvement! Much quieter and the pickup definitely improved. This car's steering is tighter than most, but try it with these tires; it's amazing! I would recommend this car and these tire replacements.

Mike's review

hlm, 08/16/2004

Great car. Only problem in 3 years has been a squeaky door and a repain to the drivers arm rest.

Mail Carrier Vehicle

Dar - rural carrier, 09/08/2004

Over 107,000 miles of stop & go delivery of mail through snow, ice, & mud with no problems. Excellent gas mileage on the route, even better on the highway. This little SUV won't fly around a V6 going up hill, but it's the most dependable SUV on the route.

My baby

irenemichelle, 09/18/2004

This SUV is very reliable. It holds its value extremely well!!

2001 Honda CRV review

Netnutty, 09/22/2004

My CRV has been a wonderful and dependable car. I'm a big guy & 6'2" and I fit easily. We just had to do our first major repair on it by having a valve job. Otherwise we've had to replace the tires once, and had the normal maintenance done on the car.

Reliable Honda

Andreana, 12/13/2004

When we first looked into the CRV, I did not like it because of the "boxy" appearance. However, it is a wonderful vehicle. I am glad with how it drives, seating is comfortable. The height of the vehicle is appropriate because you're not too high or too low. It drives like a car & not like a SUV. The cupholders are okay, but once in awhile, a cup will start to tip or lean a certain way when turning the steering wheel. I like that cargo room which I use when buying large items. There is folding table in the back which is great to know, but I rarely use it. Overall, I am very happy with the vehicle in all aspects. No problems at all. We keep it well-going with routine maintenance.

My 2001 CR-V

Laura, 01/04/2005

As a college student, I am overly pleased with my 2001 CR-V. I am able to travel to and from school and home ocassionally with comfort and ease. My car was bought as a graduation gift almost four years ago and I have had no problem whatsoever since then. I hope to keep my car for many years to come. I am sure that it will be as reliable then as it is now.

A great car

GW, 01/26/2005

This is a great reliable car, not expecting anything less from a Honda! Purchased car new in 2001 and has been working great with no major maintenance just regular oil changes and service -granted it has only been 4 years, but our previous car which we also got new, within few months transmission went bad and car was never the same afterwards.

My review

salter99, 07/03/2005

I enjoy driving my CR-V around town and on trips. Fuel economy is good, and it is inexpensive to maintain. I like the looks and handling.

Amazing car

imovitz, 03/22/2006

This car does everything well, and some things excellent. I have no problem driving in any kind of weather. It hauls all my music equipment and I have even towed a trailer with it. I will buy another when this wears out.

My CRV

patter, 11/11/2006

Love the confidence I have in this company and vehicle. Downsides: cruise control not as smooth as it could be. Larger tires--need to keep inflated to 45-55 PSI. Leads to less than smooth ride. I LOVE the rear window feature. Nice console. Everything easily in reach. Comfortable on long drives. Mileage good--very consistent.

honda crv not comfortable

jim mahoney, 03/22/2003

not comfortable, too loud

I Love My 2001 Honda CR-V!

Alinda Uzel, 05/06/2007

This has been a joy to own. I drive in 6 rural counties with my work, it handles curves and all kinds of roads/weather perfectly. It gets good gas mileage, but in mountainous areas it would be nice to have a little more "zip" to the doo-dah! The next year's model had a larger engine. This is a neat looking, spiffy little reliable vehicle that makes me happy to drive it. It looks more expensive than it was and maintains its good looks. I'll probably buy another one, I like it that much - and I'm over 60!

Great Vehicle

Nishbot, 08/06/2007

I love my CRV. Every time I turn my key, I know the car will start. Bought the car at 40000mi, now has 100000mi. Not one problem since I owned it (hope I don't jinx it now). A great value. Typical Honda reliability/fuel economy. Highly recommend w/o hesitation.

Bobsled on wheels

Guy L., 03/13/2008

I previously owned an 87 Caprice and wondered why all the CR-Vs would toot their horns in snowy conditions. This thing can get up in go in any condition and handles excellent and gets up to 24MPG! It truly is a bobsled with wheels.

I love my car

DE, 03/12/2002

I bought a 2001 CRV-EX well below invoice in October. This is my first car and this has certainly set the bar high for all to follow. Surprisingly comfortable for a small SUV. Honda has done a great job distributing space. Fun to drive, I use it only in the city and on highways. My only minor complaint is that the engine is a little noisy once you go above 40mph. The title of this review says it all. Thanks Honda.

terrific

ann h., 06/20/2003

this is an incredible car? SUV? Drives like a car but does great in EXTEME conditions... I live in Idaho, came back from Sun Valley last year down terrible road conditions, my cr-v did great... cars, SUVs, pickups all over the the side of the road (off the road and ditched... my cr-v just kept going... no problemo.... P.S. We have a 1992 landcruiser (old tank type) and for on-road conditions of any type, this really does better!

Get valves adjusted 1st!!

Bill in PA, 12/13/2019
LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used 36k in 2002 and the only real issue is Honda's lack of concern about valve adjustments not printed in the book in the Americas. This is a well-documented problem and needs to be done every 30k miles. Had this issue at 65k, used aftermarket parts when I should have used original Hondas, but the car was never the same and needed valve adjusted more and more frequently. Replace the engine at 180k one with 150k with crossed fingers and immediate valve check. This 'new' engine apparently survived the valve issue, at 150k had two tight exhaust valves but no misfire codes and has been adjusted 30k ever since. At about 210k a cracked radiator n hoses were replaced. At 228k on the body I'm having characteristic rust problems in the back wheel wells. Go figure. I put on a new complete stainless exhaust at 225k, 2nd or 3rd front end kit, and blew a brake line at 226k-had them all replaced. At approx. 200k (on the 2nd motor) I've developed an oil leak somewhere up front and the tranny is slipping. May or may not address these in spring 2020. If you run into one of these used, and you can verify its maintenance history and /or get the valves checked first, you will have a very reliable, Spartan, tough, slightly noisy slightly uncomfortable Workhorse. 100% Japanese built, and very reliable for what you're paying for. Keep all the fluids changed on schedule, and be ready for some maintenance such as tie rods, sway bar ends, motor mounts, eventually brake lines over 200k. Its been a great vehicle for what it is. Spartan tough! Cannot say the same for following model year reviews...

51050