Used 2014 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Terrain for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

V6 AWD

Jonathan Linder, 08/10/2015
SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Good looking, excellent safety on IIHS small overlap, quiet ride, comfortable. Fantastic power from V6. Transmission shifts should be smoother, although it is liveable and I have gotten used to it. Navigation works well. The radio doesn't have an automated seek button, so you have to click over and over to cycle through channels. The rear seat has huge legroom, great for preventing babies from kicking the driver. On the highway, I get between 27-30 MPG with air conditioning. In the city with aggressive stop and go, it's about 16 MPG. Combined I have 23.5 MPG. Got a special price on the car with college student pricing and July 4 discounts.

IT'S NOW 2018+ ALMOST 2019

Stanley C., 11/19/2018
SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We are in our late late 60's and wanted a vehicle that we could step up into and not have to slink down into. Looked at a Subaru but the side bolsters ended our look. Saw this car on the dealers lot and bought it after some haggling of course. The male, (me) test drove it with the wife for a bit than gave her the wheel. I dozed, I felt so comfortable! The car, a cross over actually, does well. it now has only 34k on the clock so it's hardly broken in. No rattles, squeaks or vibrations. We just start it and go. Mileage is better with Premium grade it seems. The paint is white as we live in So. Tx. and appreciate the reflective effects - it's cooler inside than any other colors. The wheels clean easy and the 16" tires are great compared to our old car with 14's. The design is right at the top. If they never change it that would be wonderful. We like the car a lot. So we own it...or are we just renting the Technology? HA Oil changes (dealer) and tire rotations and gas are all we've had to do. Seems like it may be a very good vehicle at this time. It has a small engine but we didn't expect much, only to find that it merges well and stops great. The transmission was designed not just built. It has characteristics that indicate some thought..much appreciated. Easy to wash with McGuires and a step up stool.

4cyl AWD

oldirongut, 07/18/2014
SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Great small SUV, Beautiful interior. installed K & N high flow air filter and switched to Mobil ! after 500 mi. Mileage now is 26/32

Terrain 2014 FWD 2.4engine SLE-2

classact3, 05/04/2014
SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have 3400 miles on our Terrain & so far mostly satisfied with the car. No issues with reliability & getting 31 mpg hwy. 23/24 mpg overall. Just wish it had a few more standard amenities like: glove box & foot well courtesy lights, safety reflectors or red lights on the side of door body visible when door is opened and automatic release for rear hatch. My wife is short & needs a "pull" to close rear hatch as it opens too high for her.

Superbly engineered.

lvcas, 11/25/2014
Denali 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The 2015 Terrain, in my opinion, is in a segment of its own. From it's glorious V6 engine to the very useful power liftgate, it is an awesome work of craftsmanship. The engine has plenty of power, more than enough; with the V6. The transmission is a tad...strange? Gas mileage could be better, but much better than what I used to drive. It is very safe and a good value for money, too. The interior is very well made and very cool looking at night. The red accent lighting is a very nice touch. The Pioneer radio is also very nice.

Satisfied plus

Steve, 08/15/2017
Denali 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Get the 3.6 v-6 engine. At 65k miles have had no warranty work. Tow a pontoon occasionally w/no problem. This is a Denali, and has proven very comfy on long trips. Mpg is at or above EPA estimate(22.5 avg:25.5 hwy). Would like a little higher redline (revs great!)

2nd Terrain, buying a 3rd one now

Gypsymarrs, 03/01/2018
SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This is our second Terrain (2011 & 2014). They have been the most trouble free vehicles that we've ever owned. Not even considering any other vehicle now that we are replacing the 2011 with a 2018.

Looks good

N. Norwell, 12/26/2018
SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

In the 2014 GMC Terrain, there is no heat to the back seats. Back windows fog up in winter & passengers freeze. The front passenger's seat is to high. My husband is 5'10" and he's just inches away from roof and it difficult to get into as there is no power adjustability to this seat. Road noise is what you should expect in a mid size suv, Which is pretty loud. Gas mileage is not what I though I should get from a 4 cylinder. I only get 2 more miles per gallon then I did from my 6 cylinder Jeep latitude. If I had I known all this I don't think I would of bought this SUV. Even though I love, love the style.

Burns oil like crazy

Kelly, 02/05/2019
SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Burns oil like crazy, must check it no- weekly if you want to make sure you have oil. No indicator light comes on if it is low. Read many complaints about this, too many people have written complaints about the excessive oil use, and like I said if you don’t stay on top of it you will blow up your motor. GMC should stand behind this vehicle and fix this problem. Like this vehicle if it wasn’t for the oil problems.

GMC Terrain SLE-2

classact3, 06/10/2014
SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Very comfortable ride & seating. Quiet ride. Great sounding radio & phone connections when needed. Only have 5,000 miles on the car. Four cylinder engine is somewhat anemic, but adequate for my type of driving. My other car is a Jaguar XK, thus statisfying my need for speed.

Freezing in rear seat

N. Norwell, 03/01/2019
SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I really love the style of this vehicle. As I describe it as a boxy look. Buy being boxy it gives you more head room in the cargo area when putting in and taking out cargo. I also like the split seat in the back. Very convenient when hauling long items. Interior is very nice. Love the leather interior with heated seats. There are 3 things I really dislike about the Terrain. #1) The heating system is not what it should be. I have to set the heat between 76 & 80 and having to keep switching the settings back and forth from windshield to feet. Does not make for safe driving, also makes it hard to listen to the radio at a normal level or have a conversation. There is no heat to back seat area, other then the heat from the front. Believe me this is not sufficient to keep the rear windows from fogging up all the time & roasting those sitting in front. #2) is the lack of adjusting the passenger's seat up and down. My husband has a very difficult time getting in and out that side as the seat is set to high. #3) is the gas mileage. It's a four cylinder with eco. I get 2 more miles per gallon then I did with my previous car which was a v6. It's sluggish on highway when trying tp pass other vehicles.

2014 GMC SLE-2

Richard P, 09/01/2020
SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased this vehicle as a certified pre owned with 11k on the clock. I now have 81K now major issues. Upgraded the tires to Continental Eco's and use 0/20 change at 5k intervals. My 2.4L engine delivers 22+ in the city and have gotten as much as 36+ mpg, when I run the tires at 39PSI... My only complaint,, small.. is that rear passengers have some complaint about air conditioning, I now use both upper and lower vent settings and on high setting,they get enough cooling in the back seat. All and all it has been a very reliable ride.

Too Hot, Too Bad

bonabob1, 06/30/2014
SLT-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Well, the test drive went pretty well. That is because it was at night. I leased the vehicle for 39 months and then realized what a big mistake. There are NO vents for the air conditioning in the back seat area. Not even on the center console. NONE. And to make matters worse, if the ECO button is pressed, it makes the fan speed go slow so there is very little air flow. This has got to be the worst engineering mistake since the Corvair. Can you imagine the heat in South Florida and your passengers in the back seat are dying from lack of ventilation due to this engineering mistake. I could not imagine 3 people sitting in my back seat even though it does say seating for 3 in the back.

Most bang for your buck

Julie Huntley, 07/13/2017
SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car to do one thing: repair my credit. It served its purpose with style! Despite the lack of bells and whistles with the SLE1 package, this car has been reliable and has proven its worth. It is not a speedy, get-up-and-go sort of car. It is an amazing passenger car. Comfortable and versatile. With a full car of 5 passengers, everyone still has enough leg room to make the ride bareable. I have also slept in the back with the seats folded down on some casual car camping adventures and it is superb. A great starter car for sure!

happy

Robert Bartell, 07/29/2017

Nice reliable vehicle

Fun fun fun

Sharon, 10/07/2018
SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Love the car. The only thing I wish it had is a hands free lift gate. Handles great in the snow. Easy and comfortable to drive.

Excellent alternative to sedan for 5

maa0324, 05/09/2014
Denali 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We choose the Terrain as an alternative to another family sedan to seat 5 comfortably. It achieves that goal. It also appealed to our need for more utility in terms of rear space for kid activities (soccer) and the towing package to handle a bike rack and other rack like extensions (basket). The vehicle is quiet, comfortable, powerful (we have the V6 - don't get sucked into the 4 cyl), and packed with features. That said, GMC did itself a disservice with holding back key amenities found only on the "Denali". It is the marketing joke of the century...read on...

great car

James Geiger, 03/25/2016

Never Buy American Made Again

wywill, 02/05/2014
Denali 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have a 2014 GMC Terrain Denali, V6, AWD. Thought I'd give the American built a try again after years of foreign quality. This new vehicle has 443 miles on it and the AWD system has failed and I have to wait 2 days to get it to the dealership. Unbelievable. Plus the American Car arrogance when I expressed my disappointment at the dealership of a new vehicle having this type of failure (during a winter snow storm) said "That's why we offer a warranty so we can fix things". Wow, what arrogance and audacity about your product. Although it said I should get 16 MPG city, I'm lucky to pull 12 on Premium fuel. Never Buy American Again!

Great deal

Douglas Rule, 03/09/2017
SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Got this great deal on a previously leased vehicle. Was on vacation in Ohio and used it to travel around for about 1,000 miles before shipping it home. Really comfortable and drives great.

One of the best cars we have ever owned.

Marty and Lynn, 05/25/2018
SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Shop around for the best price. Using Edmunds helped us out a lot on the new car price and the trade in value of our trade in.

drives like brand new

gloria, 10/02/2018
SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

handles great ! Use it just around town mostly have not traveled into city or highway yet,but no worries there feels and drives like a brand new car would for being 4 years old. Would definitely recommend this vehicle to put on your list to test drive. Very roomy and comfortable. Love that the seat adjusts for height since i'm a little on the short side and like to see the entire front end of car.

" I've Arrived and I'm staying"....

Alonzo Fairley Jr, 10/18/2017
SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Love my Terrain it's bodystyle makes and say's that you've arrived it's gonna be a classic style that is incomparible and it's never gonna get or be better than this for this is a style that you just can't take your eyes off of even when it's sitting in your Driveway your imagination can't seem to fathom the reality of you owning a SUV of this magnitude . love my GMC....

Still very happy

Mike, 09/05/2017
SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Onstar is expensive. Last year drove cross country, and very pleased with handling, power in the mountains with this 4 cyl, comfort, and fuel economy. Another trip this year to Vermont then down to the Florida Keys. Still very reliable and getting great gas mileage.

Love the sunroof

Jim Burdette, 06/20/2017

Great size

Low resale value on trade in for another GM

R Teuscher, 05/23/2018
SLT-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Was disappointed at the $14,000. trade in! Thought the dealership was very low.

THIS WILL BE MY CAR SOON!!

DENNIS BERNFIELD, 06/04/2017

GREAT CAR.

My 2014 Terrain

Thomas Waclawski, 07/30/2018
SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

For having a 4 cylinder engine, I have adequate power where I can pull my utility trailer loaded with a load of dirt or gravel with little laboring of power. I get anywhere’s from the low to mid 20’s around town driving all the way to the upper 30’s mpg on the highway driving.

51050