Used 2016 GMC Canyon Consumer Reviews

Used Canyon for Sale
Select your model:
12345...11

Pros
Cons

Almost purchased, but decided to wai

Parker, 03/11/2016
SL 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I drove this car once and was so excited about buying it. Then drove it again, and decided to wait and maybe buy it in the future. I was looking at the crew cab, short box, sle with all-terrain. First-off, let's talk $36-39k for a mid-size truck. For nearly 40k, I expect some level of awesomeness. The front power seats don't have a tilt adjustment, and in the SLE (leather trimmed, cloth middle) they are just a tad on the firm side. Rear sliding window is manual. No manual locker on the All-terrain pkg (though it does have a type of locking differential). Short bed is very short: cannot put a bicycle length-wise standing up with both wheels on without the gate down. Stereo was great, interior styling excellent. No push button start (personally I prefer a key). The V6 is good, but noisy when stepping on the gas hard and really the 265 lb-ft of torque isn't enough for something that weighs 4000+ pounds. If this truck was $28k, I'd buy it now. But I think the prices will drop. For $38k you can get a very nice full-size truck (though don't many of us want something smaller?) that probably weighs about the same and has a much more powerful engine. If they could have tuned the gasoline v6 to a bit more torque and improved the seats to the level of the Sierra, I would think this truck could be a $38k vehicle. I plan on waiting a year and buying one when the prices drop or buying one used. Just not a good value as priced. The engine noise/torque were the main detractors. I did test the vehicle off-road and it performed well and the hill-descent feature was nice.

Love My Canyon!

Robert Dowens, 12/29/2015
SLE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Very comfortable ride, just like being in a car. Not "trucky" at all. Great visibility a joy to own!

New truck with some issues

Philip, 09/08/2016
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Transmission shifts rough. Poor fit and finish, cheap plastic, two parts broke first week , one on the first day. Finally got them replaced. Oil indicator is messed up, had 53% life with 250 miles, now has 850 miles and only 40% now. Either not reset at the factory correctly or the electronics are messed up. The truck looks great, is fairly comfortable, just rough over bumps, but it is a truck. I have read a lot of horror stories today about GM's customer service and that frightens me. This is first $40,000 vehicle I have ever owned and now that I am retired I had hoped to have a good truck that would last for a long time. I hope it does and that I don't have to deal much with customer service. I will speak with the customer satisfaction representative tomorrow at Linus GMC and see if he can get me some help with the oil indicator issue. I still like the truck, just hope nothing else crops up.

Duramax is the way to go

Bryan, 01/14/2017
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had the Canyon for just a few weeks now. I purchased the 2016 model year since there was minimal changes to the 2017 model. I wasn't really looking for a diesel, but the more research I did made me realize it was the right choice. Major factor for me was the reduced pricing (was able to buy for 37K + fees) -would not have bought the diesel if it was over 40k. At that price would have gone with the Sierra. Here are the things I really like so far: Parking is so much easier than full size truck, fits in the garage, crew cab has plenty of room for family of 4, fuel mileage, cosmetically pleasing exterior - it actually looks like a smaller version of the Sierra. The leather interior, infotainment system and back up camera are all nice features. I love the purr of the duramax and can't wait to tow something or go up in the mountains. Here are my complaints: drivers seat does not have enough adjustments and not comfortable on longer drives (I bought a cushion at Costco for extra padding) I am average build, so was surprised abought the comfort level of the seating. The cubbies in the doors are completely useless and hard plastic feels cheap.

GM pushes vehicle out of plant with major problems

chris curtis, 02/12/2018
SLE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

leaks water into cab, one recall after another , left up to dealer take truck apart and dry out which isn't easy after getting truck back from dealer who had it 11 days still had moisture on inside of window until i bought some humidity control devices for a gun safe and used them for about two weeks to rid truck interior of moisture problems. Paid for four wheel drive truck four wheel has never worked in snow or when you need it, in the shop again, They say third times the charm to fix problem let's hope so

12345...11