Used 2016 GMC Canyon Consumer Reviews

Used Canyon for Sale
Select your model:
12345...11

Pros
Cons

Mine is a Duramax Diesel that wasn't on the list

Mike L., 07/02/2016
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have a Loaded SLT long bed 4X4 with the new Duramax Diesel engine. I love this truck!! It has great power once the turbo spools up. It takes a second for this to happen so there is a slight hesitation upon sudden acceleration but for the size of this motor it pulls really well. I paid $42,100 before tax and license which is a bit much but better than 60 grand for a full size diesel truck. The canyon is no small truck. It has a 6'2" bed (long bed) that is large enough for most loads and it still fits in my garage. I get 23mpg around town and 28 highway witch isn't bad at all. The technology is amazing. You can send or receive text messages without ever taking you hands off the wheel or eyes off the road and the bose stereo sounds great! The exhaust brake (jake brake) is a nice little feature that will extend brake life too! I highly recommend this truck to anyone looking for a midsize truck they can fit in their garage and still handle all the tasks the average light duty truck owner has. Its not cheap but far better than the toyota tacoma or nissan frontier. I am sold on this little diesel engine. Update: after owning this truck for a year and half I am still very pleased with it. I recently towed a 6000 pound trailer 50 miles trough some mountains and it did great! It was sluggish on steep grades but did the job. On flat surfaces and slight upgrades it pulls well. I still got well over 20 Miles per gallon while towing this trailer. I normally get close to 30 without towing. It’s a great little truck and I would replace it with another one in a second.

Needs a V8

T Duffy, 01/31/2017
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had trucks, suv's for over 25 years, this is a looker but the engine is so sluggish going up the hills of Western, Pa. I can't believe how terrible the power is. It rides nice over 55 and overall nice space, front seats not real comfortable. Bose audio just ok, got a speaker rattle with anything in a decent loudness. It's a company truck so I'm can't complain but really needs a V8 for how heavy this truck is. Do not like the break assist while going down hill, i think I know how to break.

Great - If it had any semblace of a decent tranny

Sorely disappointed, 10/18/2017
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

It's a nice truck, that rides fairly well. SLT interior is rather nice. It sucks fuel, less than 14 mpg in city driving with the 3.6 V6. The transmission, WHAT A JOKE!!! It has no idea what gear it wants to be in, constantly hunts and when it does pick one, it's 2 gears too high for the situation. Case in point, turned left into my neighborhood, speedometer says 18 mpg. Press the gas pedal to accelerate. . .nothing, downshift it (which causes it to drop one gear and actually display the number rather than the D), and it's in 4th gear. That means, it was in 5th gear of a 6 speed transmission going 18 mph. How does that make any sense?? I drive it like a manual with the manual shift just to have power when I need it. Now, it's started a new "feature" You'll stop at a stop sign, or a light with the tranny in drive and when you press the gas pedal to go. NOTHING. No RPM increase, no movement, look at the shifter and the D is flashing red. It's almost killed me 3 times so far and just this morning, did the same thing trying to reverse out of the garage. Dealership said I didn't know how to drive the "new" auto transmission since I've been driving a stick for the last 18 years. Can't WAIT for the 2018 Ranger, this thing will be history. The last GM I owned was a 1990 Grand Prix, it, like this truck look pretty, but are rolling piles of junk. DONE WITH GM.

One Poor Truck

mllambert@bellsouth.net, 08/24/2016
SLE 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Some of these vehicles have issues knowing when to shift. I have had this truck back to the dealer countless times for this issue. I have even had the region service tech work on the truck twice. The story is the same "it is a characteristic of this model" what a very poor excuse for GMC. They have no idea what they need to do to fix this. I have complained to GM as well as the dealership and NO ONE does anything. I am a very regular buyer of GM vehicles. one every 16-24 month's. After this experience I will never own another GM vehicle again or work with the dealership. Thankfully I leased the thing so I can walk away in 36 mo.

at least 1 problem

Gerald Schmidt, 02/12/2017
SL 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

In really cold weather, I have had my power steering quit working. It happened to me twice. I shut the vehicle off, went in the store to purchase a few items, came back and started the vehicle. The steering was almost impossible, it also had a message to have the power steering serviced. I shut the vehicle off, restarted, and it was fine again. Kind of frightening to think if your steering went out while driving at high speed, eh? One more thing; I was getting 26mpg, but when cold weather hit, it dropped to 19mpg, which really sucks....

12345...11