Used 2000 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Mustang for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

1 1/2 years late......

josh37, 10/05/2011

I poasted a review of this car when i first got it in the begining of 2010. I have done NO engine or transmission work to this car. It has been very reliable and has never left me stranded. I did have to have it painted because of the cheap paint that ford used. This was my first car, and it's special to me, i named him "black stallion." My AC doesnt work, buttons started falling off the radio so i got a JVC radion/cd player installed. The ride isnt bad, the car doesnt jar your neck when you hit a bump like my grandpaws 2010 mustang. I tell myself that i want a new car, but everytime i get in "black stallion" i say, what was i thinking, this is my baby. Gas millage isnt that bad either.

Takes a licking

Joe, 07/15/2016
GT 2dr Coupe

This car won't stop.I've had it for 15 years and had no major problems besides recalls. I call it 'ol reliable. It always starts and runs like new. I've had no degradation of gas milage or performance. It's too bad that the resale value is so low for such a reliable vehicle.

Pretty good vehicle

Young and Dumb, 05/09/2006

Had this car almost 6 years - purchased new. Haven't had a single problem. Runs like a breeze and everything is original. Body is still very tight and looks great. Mach stereo is awesome and sounds best with the top down. Car is a lot of fun to drive, steering is a little heavy, especially when trying to parallel park. Engine is fast on the top end, slow down low. Can still beat 2006 Acuras and many Porsches. Very happy with workmanship - the car looks and drives just as good as the day I bought it without a single squeak. Hope to keep for another 50 years.

Kick butt old school

5.0Mustang, 01/15/2016
GT 2dr Coupe

I avoided admitting my appreciation for late-model GTs for a long time just because it was so un-P.C. But when the '99s came out I was intrigued. I bought my black 2000 5-speed as a lightly-used and nicely-equipped example (leather, Mach 460 stereo, etc.) in mid-2001. Words cannot express how much I loved that car. I drove it for 12 years and nearly 180,000 virtually trouble-free miles before trading it in on my current 2013 GT 5.0. The good: great performance, chunky masculine style that turns heads, cheap to maintain, very reliable, just the right touch of attitude, the sound of a 2-valve V-8 roaring through an H-pipe, reasonable economy for the performance, a good level of practicality for what it is. My kids fit in the back. Limitless aftermarket modifications and go-fast parts supply. My dealer is great. You're the coolest dad at your kids' school. Keeps everyone at church guessing. The bad: not much. There are cars with better quality interior trim, more refinement, and nicer fit and finish. But anyone buying a Mustang knows it's no Lexus. The ugly: the backwards-hat crowd in bespoilered front-drive compacts with fart cans always wants to show off in front of you. Your neighbors may hate it, especially if you install Flowmasters and do a full-bore romp on the gas pedal at 6 a.m. Or at least they'll think you're a hoon. Self-righteous European car owners may think you're tacky (full disclosure...my wife has a newer BMW X3, we're just not full of ourselves over it). Cop bait. Bottom line: If you want a fast car that is reasonably practical and has just the right dose of good-natured obnoxiousness built in, you've come to the right place. For any pre-2005 Mustang I recommend welding in a good set of subframe connectors to stiffen up the body structure for the long haul, and then driving the heck out of it.

The Red Beast

David, 06/02/2018
2dr Coupe

I’ve owned my red V6 Mustang for about 6 years now, it had 89k miles on it. It’s at 139k now. The car has never let me down or given me any problems. Regular maintenance and oil changes every 3k miles of course. I’ve had to fix the exhaust a couple occasions, due to potholes. It’s my daily driver all year in Wyoming. I’ve had it through some pretty rough snow too. I ride snow tires all year also, they’re just nicer tread quality in my opinion. And I drive a lot of gravel. I’ve been stuck once, but shoveled and threw chains on to get out no problem. And during some winter storms I chain up regularly to reach the highway. Everything in the car works. It burns very little oil. It’s fast enough and looks cool. Lots of after market mods available. I plan to get new shocks and struts next as they are looking rusty, but they still feel stiff. I average 20-23 miles on the highway. The value on these cars is way more then the few thousand dollars you can buy one for now.

Mustang Sally

Lynne Knightstep, 07/29/2009

My daughter and son-in-law bought this car for me, brand-new as a gift in 2000. I love this car and have lots of fun driving it. It has never had anything go wrong with it in the 9 years that I have owned it. It is a beautiful black convertible, very sleek and sporty. This is my second Mustang (owned the first model in 1965) and I highly recommend them.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! THE BEST CAR EVER!

Linda, 03/14/2018
2dr Coupe

I absolutely love this car. I have had it for several years now. I am now at over 220000 miles. I have considered buying a newer car but I am having a difficult time parting with this car. I bought it used and have only had minor issues that I really cannot complain about. The windows stopped working at separate times and the motors were replaced. The fuel pump was replaced. That's the only issues I have had with this car and I am not complaining. I keep up with maintaining the oil changes regularly as I do a lot of driving. I have had so many compliments on this car. It is a beauty. Many people think it is a GT. I cannot say enough about this vehicle. I purchased it used from a family who took excellent care of it. It had about 134000 miles on it when I bought it. I am surprised at how roomy the trunk is and how much I can actually get in there. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard "I love your car". I have had newer cars than this and they may have been more roomier or higher priced but I would not trade this one in for any of them. I have decided to keep it until I can't keep in anymore. I just can't part with a car that has been so awesome! If you are considering buying this car don't hesitate but do your research. I bought from an honest family who took great care of this car. I also did a carfax before purchasing. I could not be happier with my 2000 Ford Mustang! Take care of it and it will take care of you. Update: 9/23/18 I still LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! And I still think it is the best car ever! It is still going and since my last post the only thing I have changed is the brakes ( I do a lot of driving) and the alternator. It is so reliable. When the alternator was going the battery lit up on the dashboard giving me plenty of time to find out what the problem was. It has never left me anywhere. Over 234,000 miles and still going strong. I need to get a 4 door car and am still having trouble giving up this car. This will be my favorite car forever.

2000 Ford Mustang 3.8

Danny, 10/30/2009

I was given this as my first car, and I love it. It has 115000 miles and is nine years old, but it is very reliable and runs great. My parents own this car for all of the original miles, and there has only ever been one minor problem with the engine, but it was resolved easily, and the oil is changed every 3000 miles. Mine has a automatic, but I would suggest a five speed manual. I also installed aftermarket headers and exhaust.

Old Reliable.

Truz, 01/02/2010

I commuted 160 miles a day in this and have 202000 on it. Engine still running great. Top is now ready to be replaced last much longer than I thought.

I love my GT

bob501, 08/29/2012

I bought my 2000 GT with 147,000 miles on it and have put another 30,000 on it since. The only mechanical failure was the throwout bearing went out on the clutch thats it. This is my 3rd mustang and my favorite one. This car just keeps getting better.

Awesome car! v6 power exiting!

Sergio, 03/06/2016
2dr Coupe

I love this car, is beautiful and durable, the guy who sold it to me did not take care of it but the car response under pressure overpasses my expectatives, ford did good; was running with no oil and until I realize it, it last! a truly horse of the road.

2000 V6 Convertible

Mustang2000Vert, 06/07/2007

I bought this car a year and a half ago with 24000 miles, now it has a bit over 50000. Absolutely no mechanical issues to date. Always starts right up, even in the dead cold of winter. Plenty of power for a V6 and gas mileage is good for a V6. I was wary to buy a Ford after owning an 1989 Escort in the past that was garbage, but this car looked so shiny and lonely when I first saw it, just pleading to be driven, and I fell in love with it. It's such a pleasure to drive, especially with the top down. Its a real head turner too, I always get complements on it. I highly recommend this car and would definately buy another Mustang in the future. Take car of it and it will take care of you.

Love this car

bluestang, 08/02/2008

I bought this car a few months back and I am just in love with it. Being a V6 I was expecting very little power but after a cold air intake an exhaust and a short throw shifter this thing is fast! I would recommend this car to anyone!

I'm sure this may sound sad.

firecatf6, 12/24/2012

How much do I love my mustang? I put the car in heated storage and I visit it a couple times a week...and admire it. Sick??? 13years old just turned 100k never seen winter But still oiled and dripping. Works great... Gold and shows so different from red or black. Handles like a dream..with a few upgrades.. I still love the heck out of it. Even after driving a 2013 Boss

Dream Car

Dave, 05/11/2009

I bought my first mustang when I was 16 years old. Now 3 years later I still love this car. Its pretty fast for a V6 after the cold air intake and exhaust, and not that bad on gas. I get commented on my car all the time. Also the mach 460 stereo system, Everyone loves how it sounds. Its the best think I could of ever bought.

It saved me!

stefff, 09/02/2013

My first beautiful 2000 Mustang V6 coupe, purchased in 2010, saved me when some tattooed meth freak hit my driver's door at 60mph as I was making a left turn on a small two lane (no passing zone). I was dazed but the car was totaled, as was f-wit's Honda. He walked away, donchaknow. The replacement, another base 2000 coupe, is even nicer, with fewer miles and the same excellent reliability. It has a bit of clutch chatter, but nothing's perfect. I enjoy every mile and am happy to have some steel wrapped around me!

First time in a Ford

hammerdrop64, 02/24/2010

I bought this car used with 101,000 mi. It has the 3.8 v6. It now, has 133,600 mi. The only things I've done to it is change oil, flush rad. and change brakes. I have mostly been a Chevy person, and have owned a couple Toyota's. But, I would buy another Mustang. Great car!

No problems that wernt expected

this is a great car, 08/16/2010

I bought this car in 2000 and I have driven it in my work for the last 10 years. Had to repair the transmission at 125,000 miles changes brakes, shocks and oil. Put on a duel exhaust and an h pipe did a couple of tune up and the car has 342,425 miles on it. Engine runs very good does not burn oil and always starts up when called for. Body is showing some signs of wear and will need body work this year. I love the car and would not think of getting rid of it. Has the usual mechanical problems of any car with that many miles on it but I just love driving it. If I ever had to replace it I would look for another the same style and year

Still fun to this day

Bananamo, 07/19/2002

After owning this for two and a half years, I still find myself excited to drive my Mustang. It is a great car to cruise in or to take to the track. It is an absolute joy to own.

Fun Fun Fun

chris, 05/30/2002

Have had only a few problems with the cover though they replaced the weatherstripping for free since it's under warranty. Other than that there have been no problems this is a great fun car.

Bright green convertible

Jose romero, 12/19/2018
2dr Convertible

I bought my car when I was 18 i paid 3k for it with 160,000 miles I am now 22 and the car has 220,000 miles runs great it's fast enough to beat g35's. Very very easy to work on, I have no mechanical experience and I do the oil changes on it replaced spark plugs brakes and water pump and also an alternator for very cheap and very easy to do it by myself. Car turns heads still have cobra rims on it and Its my daily driver, the ONLY thing that sucks about these cars is the resale value. I dont know why they're so cheap if it's a REALLY reliable car and it's badass. Would definitely recommend it and would also buy one again.

Powerful V6 Pony!

HVF4, 06/10/2009

This was my dream car since I was a little boy.Im 20 years old now and ive been wanting this car since it came out!And 8 years later its mine as a High School Graduation present from my parents. For a 3.8l V6 Engine its really fast and powerful.I yet to add a cold air intake and exhuast but even without it it saves a lot of gas and its very fast.Sure it isnt a GT(V8) with 260+HP but how it is now(190HP) its pretty fast.Exterior looks great,A+. Interior is kinda plain,But hey ITS A MUSTANG!!Sound System is great,but since mine was used the original MACH 460 System was taken out before I bought it. I Have A Sony Stereo and its BADASS!This car always turns heads.American Muscle Beats Import!!!!

Great car People think its v8 LOL

Josh, 11/20/2010

I bought this car for wife for her first car on valenitnes day! Sunburst gold metallic clearcoat. Beautiful car. It has k&N CAI and Flowmaster Dual exhaust and rear end gear gear has been changed. solid car goes like hell and reliable real headturner. Really liked it when my wife showed up 79 camaro show car with 15000 grand in motor while he was showboating with his wife. He could barely keep up and we were just toying. Ford Rocks. Just bought new supercrew Great truck got rid of dakota, don't but. Chrysler is crap. Chevy is ok just need more balls.Peace

not bad for a Ford

Huh?, 02/14/2010

Purchased this car with only 20k. Drove it for five years and finished with 58k before selling it. Only mechanical issue I had was a... wow I can't remember, cost me bout $300. I installed a Flowmaster exhaust, great sound compared to weak stock exhaust. V8 power is robust, and runs strong well over 100mph. Interior and exterior held up very well, still looked new when I sold it. The drivers seat position is horrible, I felt like i was sitting in a beach chair that was lying on the ground.

ford junk

steve b, 04/26/2002

first ford i ever bought i bought the conv v-6 with every option ,at 27000 miles the transmisson failed,the door bolts on the hinge fell out,the valves rattaled all the time ford really let me down with the quality of this car.i will not buy a ford again

Great Car!

lynnedwin, 05/12/2002

This has been a great car for the two years that I have owned it. The only required warranty work has been to replace a coil that would occasionally cause a stumble that was only noticeable in fifth gear. I am so impressed with this car that I have put my name on the list for the next available 2003 Mustang Cobra. Ford has totally impressed me! This car is so much fun to drive that I look forward to every driving experience in it!

Mustang Engine Problem

maria1669, 08/20/2012

I bought this car 10 months ago at 57,000 miles and have since put on 12,000 miles. I have had no problems with this car since I got it and have done all the regular preventative maintenance and oil changes on date. A rod just broke out of nowhere and now I need to replace the engine. There are only 69,000 miles on this vehicle. This is rediculous. I will not buy another Ford again. I thought of this car as an A+ hands down, and then got blindsided by this incident. Not happy about it and very disappointed.

Powerful, Reliable V8

Cody, 05/19/2009

An all around great quality car. I highly recommend it. The V8 has plenty of power, I have added exhaust and Intake which are a must for this model. The exhaust adds that mean rumble while the intake adds hp and saves major gas. The only down side is the interior is cheap, but doesn't look too bad. It is also rough in the winter, but what car isn't?

2000 v6 Coupe 5 speed

Beamerstang, 10/21/2009

Overall this is a decent car - But it's not the fast/fun mustang everyone makes it out to be. The car is very slow when put side by side with other sport coupes of it's year. The interior looks good, but is very very cheap. **EVERYTHING** rattles and makes noise inside the car. The seats are very boring and uncomfortable, and the worst part is terrible highway driving in 5th gear. The car handles well in dry weather, but isn't very balanced. The rear suspension is bad - leading to serious fishtailing out of turns , bad rain traction, and unstable turns if you hit any small bumps. It's a reliable car, but sport coupe? no...not really.

Not a Bad Stang

Rainier, 02/11/2010

So i have 149,500 on my 5speed hunter green stallion. Everthing has been good up till 120,00, but come on with that high miles something is bound to go wrong!!! It still runs but it need a new clutch, Motor mounts, and a tune up. Over all ill keep this car forever!!!

good and bad

Marc, 06/20/2002

This is the first car that I have bought and am more or less satisfied with what I have gotten. I think the exterior design is great and has not looked this good in years. On the other hand, the interior design is horrible and needs significant improvements and more aminities.

Still in love with her!

Gigi, 08/11/2010

I purchased her brand new! Worth every penny! 10 years later she is still fun to drive. Hugs roads and has great pick up. I would buy again. Issues were the exhaust manifold design is bad. I think the A/C drips onto it and as a result had to have it welded back together twice because it sounded like a hole in the muffler. Also the clutch went out on her 2 years ago and that had to be replaced. Other than those 2 things I have not had one single mechanical issue. She is picky about her tires. Anything but Yokahoma's seem to run rough. Extremely reliable. Cosmetics after 10 years: my top leaks in behind the back seat due to being left in the sun and not in a garage. Middle tail light faded.

Built Ford tough

BRACK73, 09/26/2010

This Mustang is my 4th and I love it. The 5 spd tranny shifts smoothly, and the 4.6L engine has plenty of GITTYUP and GO. I get around 22-23 MPG on the highway. The exhaust sound is awesome. The Mach stereo system is OK and the instrument cluster is easy to read and watch. the leather interior is very comfortable and being 6'2" and 225 lbs, I have plenty of room in the drivers and passenger seats. I do not have room in the back even if the seats are moved forward, but I did not buy it to carry people around. I bought it for the PERFORMANCE. I have had camaros and trans ams, and the Mustang is my favorite. Plenty of aftermarket parts, so your bank account won't go empty if a repair pops up.

GREAT UN CAR

pch2o, 07/15/2002

Tis my fourth Mustang convertible and my best one.

Just A Stang

trrbo, 09/24/2002

I bought this car for my wife in 2000. The next day went out and put 2 stage flows on it to make it rumble. It guzzles gas, is a little sluggish on the bottom, but once it gets going it is fairly fast. My Ford F150 has more torque and is quicker off the bottom. Overall, it is fun to drive, but is very loud (ragtop)and the tranny has already gone out. Thank god it was under warranty. It has been a fun car, but it rattles a lot and feels loose with only 27,000 miles. I won't buy another one.

Fun Fun Fun

Chris, 05/30/2002

I love my Mustang!

Lorien, 12/03/2002

I have owned my Mustang convertible for two and a half trouble-free years. This is a well made car for its level of vehicle. I owned Cadillacs previously and while this isn't a Caddy, it is exactly what I wanted...a fun convertible with lots of power! I have found the Ford brand to be high quality and the dealership to be very good. Would highly recommend this car!

Fun car but needs help

randali, 08/16/2003

Fun car to drive. No major problems since purchase. Has to many squeeks for a car with 33K miles. The 5 speed tranny can be cumbersome and sometimes produces a clanking sound. The cabin is very noisy and a lot of heat comes up from the center console by the parking break. Terrible seating position and unacceptable adjustment for head rests (I'm 5'10 and the headrest does not reach my head. The plastic interior is kind of cheesy and has sharp edges. Exhaust sounds great and its an eyecatcher in red but I wouldn't buy another.

Great Fun

donaghms, 12/15/2003

Never had such fun in a ragtop. Handling is nice and involving, I can throw out the back end and control it. It zips round country lanes with ease; it turns heads; it leaves boy racers standing. Now where can I get me the money for a Saleen SC?

Dream Come True!!!

Mustangmayhem, 01/25/2004

Long before the time I was old enough to even sit behind the wheel of a car I dreamed of owning a mustang. That dream finally came true and I could not be happier. This 2000 silver mustang convertible with a black top is simply amazing, From performance to looks. I believe that body style of the mustang from '99-04 is one of the best body styles since the mustangs of 19641/2- 67. I wish the gas mileage was a little better but, I can not complain because I am finally driving a mustang.

frustration

ns, 02/05/2004

bought new to use only as a daily driver no racing at all. i have had continuous problems since day one - car has 28884 miles on it. The engine has been replaced twice,motor mounts replaced, head gasket replacement twice,transmission and drive shaft replaced, all air condition vents replaced 5 times.just found out my engine,drive shaft and transmission needs replacing again. toyota dealership for me next week, now we know why toyota knocked ford out of it's number 2 spot - dissatisfied customers like me multiplied thousands of times. enough said.

Fun Pony to ride on

Chrislxf, 03/09/2003

I just got this car. I was amazed by its power and handling. Burn everycar that "try" to cut me off. Beautiful exterior design. The interior isn't all that ugly, it just need some inovation and mod. Had my computer and 12 inch lcd build in my mustang. The coolest car in the parking lot. Not recommanded if you have more than 1 passenger (a dog is ok @ the rear seat) ......

Love my 'stang

Mommyof2bratz, 10/17/2004

I love my convertible. My kids (4 and 5) love it too. There is nothing like cruising down the road with your top down and enjoying life. I have ridden in other convertibles (Sebring) and yuck! I wouldn't trade my Mustang for one. It is comfortable, fun, reliable and most of all a conversation piece wherever I go. Especially in East Tennessee where I live. My car is an Electric Green color and Cleopatra (my car) gets eye-balled coming and going! So anyone that is thinking about getting a Mustang, I would definitely encourage getting a convertible! They are too much fun!

The horse keeps trottin'

Ed, 04/29/2006

I purchased my car private party about 3 years ago. In the 3 years of owning it, I have come to find a few things. These are very tight convertibles, well made with a lot of power. They are also one of the quietest on the road with the top up. Plenty of power, and decent gas mileage around town, but can get very good when on the open road driving long distances. Coming from a 5.0, I was hesitant on a 4.6 car, but made sure I got a 99-up with the 265HP. Plenty of power to set you straight. My only issue is the coolant sensor light that seems to be a typical issue with the 99-00 cars. Get a 5 speed. The resale on the automatic cars is poorer.

Love it!

quinnk, 04/06/2013

I just recently bought a 2000 White Mustang Convertible. I have the automatic version and have not regretted it since I bought it. The gas mileage isn't great...I only get about 300km on each tank, but its so worth it. This car is fun to drive, especially when you put the top down and hear that engine. Its powerful and turns heads. Mine has the leather and suede interior which is a nice feature as all leather can get too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. Only complaint would be the brakes squeal a bit...its easily fixed with brake cleaner but I've heard is a common issue with this year and model. Either way I'd fully recommend this car! So fun to drive, and good looking.

A Really Good Car

Victoria MV, 06/03/2003

I've had this great car for a year and 3 months now. It was two years old with 32k miles and I have since added another 22k miles. I have experienced absolutely no problems and the car runs great. A couple months back, I got into a car accident but the car proved to be incredibly resilient. The car has never given me any reason to feel unsafe, even at very high speeds (upwards of 130 mph).

Solid Car

xxx_joeyr_xxx, 03/15/2012

I've owned my 2000 Mustang GT for 4+ years now. Car now has 155K on her and she's still running strong. The only major failures I've had was the Intake Manifold coolant line busting & heater core leaking(major pain to fix). I've really driven this car hard, but always maintained it, and she is still going strong. Please stop listing to idiots bash a car because they 1. they neglect it. and 2. they give a bad rap because of normal Maintenance items they have to replace(rotors/pads/air filters/fuel filters/plugs). On a different note, after a few basic mods, these cars will run with the feared LS1 Camaro's.

One Amazing Car

andrewj2k, 03/16/2012

I have owned my mustang for about 8 years. I purchased it used in 2004 with about 98k on the odometer. Today I am proud to announce I broke the acclaimed 250k mark!!!! The car still runs strong and I'm about to have the transmission serviced for the first time tomorrow at the Ford dealership (my friend recommended I do it, I kept topping off fluid every once in a while, nothing major, no leaks). The car still runs strong, shifts great, smooth ride. Added cold air intake, dual exhaust to give it a better sound and thats about it! Full synthetic oil changes at about 3,500 miles. City & Hwy miles... I love this car!!!!

unfortunate buy

dissappointed, 03/09/2002

poor ergonomic design, poor comfort, below average reliability

Dangerous underpowered rust bucket

Nick, 03/20/2009

The car's interior is a joke. Cheap, boring plastic. It was outdated even for 20 years ago. The V6 is severely underpowered. Good luck accelerating in 5th gear unless you've got a ton of momentum. Almost anything over an entry level 4 banger is faster. In snow, it is undriveable. In the rain, it is just plain dangerous. Hydroplanes, and cannot get traction. The car feels unsafe. At high speeds, it was bumpy, and felt loosely connected to the road. The car rusted out completely on bottom. Could pick chunks of rust off the frame. I sold it to an unsuspecting buyer, who probably will have to part it out or crush it. In the near future. AC was terrible. Tires go flat

51050