Skip to main content

Select your model:

4 out of 5 stars

2022 SE escape plug in hybrid

B Blazey, NY, 06/06/2022
SE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric plug-in hybrid EVT)

I’ve had this vehicle 3 months. It is a tech marvel. The electric range can vary but driving around town like the old man I am in 70 degree weather I’m getting 42 actual miles per charge. If I do expressway driving I tend to save or charge the battery with those options. I’m sure if I drove high speeds the electric range would be less than advertised. Normal all around driving yields 37 miles electric. In hybrid mode I would estimate about 40 mpg. I have only used 10 gallons of gas in 2200 miles of driving. My equinox rides better, is quiet with the active noise control and is more comfortable but the Escape is ok in those areas. On old pitted pavement road noise is evident. The push button is a little awkward but I use my thumb to start. I’ve hit the windshield wiper button a couple times reaching for it. AWD is way over rated in my opinion and with good tires FWD is no issue in snow. I drive the fwd equinox in the winter anyway with snow tires and will only drive this in nice weather. My previous hybrid didn’t save much gas in cold weather with the heated seats, heater, wipers, etc all on. The exhaust is surprisingly throaty sounding. I thought they might have run out of parts during assembly. In summary it’s a pretty good car and very efficient, very roomy. Ideally the seat would be a little softer, it would have active noise control like my equinox, ride a little better and have a prettier interior more like the Kia Sportage hybrid but overall I’m pleased with the vehicle. Excellent value with the tax credit. Hope it’s more reliable than my last Ford mariner hybrid.

3 out of 5 stars
4 out of 5 stars

3 out of 5 stars

A lot of dumb design elements

Lauren, 07/29/2022
SE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric plug-in hybrid EVT)

The car more than delivers on gas mileage so that’s great. However a few massively disappointing things: the rear view mirror completely obscures the left side of the windshield, the factory stereo sucks, and the seat fabric is basically plastic sheeting - really uncomfortable. The upholstery on one of my front seats is so poorly done it’s billowing - no quality control?