Used 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 93 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Brakes Failed very dangerous suv to own
By Mr. Bonds

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

ABS light and Regenerative Braking disable light came on lost of braking power. Brought to dealer and they said common problem need to fix abs pump and abs computer system and change all the brakes very expensive repairs.Should be a recall but Ford does not care about 2008 Ford Escape hybrids. they should have never install regenerative braking if they cant fix it. I had to junk it very sad. I did not even want to sell it because a car with no brakes should not be on the road.Worst suv i ever own period ! Now i own a Mercury suv very safe and comfortable.I plan to drive my Mercury for a long time.

234567 miles and still goin strong
By Michael M

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my 3rd escape hybrid...2006,2007, and now 2008. I love the upgrades from the previous ones...my 2007 had the nav system and it worked great. It was also my only awd one. I didn't see much difference in handling between that and the front wheel drive models. Not sure how far I could have gotten with the 2006 since it got totaled in an accident. my 2007 made it to 251,000 miles, but started using oil a lot shortly after 200,000 miles. My 2008 Now has 234567 miles...uses no oil and everything still works, including cruise, air, rear wiper. Only a couple of wheel bearings, a sensor for power steering, and a tie rod replaced so far. $200 or less for each repair. Hoping to top the 300,000 mile mark with this one...like many did in New York when they had them in their taxi fleet. They even sold for $2000 each at that point.

ford escape hybrid, "Awesome Vehicle"
By M. Lake

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had to take an alternate way because of the "dollar ridge fire" in Utah.
While driving home I pulled into a gas station with 124 miles to go and 27 to empty.
The gas station was closed and hadn't been open for business in years, (closed permanently). I drove the 124 miles strategically using the battery and very little gas. I made it!! I love this car!

Ford Escape Hybrid: Great until the HCU died
By Chuck W

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Good fuel economy until temp dropped below 32 deg F; then MPG dropped from 33 to as low as 24. Good for hauling tools and equipment for remodeling projects. Leather seats lasted 11 years with only one tear. At 11 years with 80,000 miles, the car had a resale value of about $3600. Then the HCU went out, leaving the car with approx 10% of its braking power, making it unsafe to drive. The dealership quoted $7500 for the repair, an independent shop quotes $6500, which led to a new car purchase. Not a Ford. I entered a complaint with the NHTSA, hoping that a recall will be ordered.

Best Snow car ever
By John Goodson

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Sure it's a hybrid and gets good mileage for an SUV, but, the 4WD, with the motor over the front tires and the hybrid battery over the rear tires gives this SUV a low center of gravity and amazing traction on snow. Forget about the chains forever with this car; Oh, by the way, after 100K, the motor is still super reliable. I spent $500 on the 100K service and had to spend $600 on the hybrid fan after 60K, but other than that its just a $20 oil change every 5K. A well-built car with great mileage and outstanding traction.