Used 2001 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Daily Driver Dakota
By RB

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Truck has been very reliable since purchased new in June of 2001. Truck was daily driver until about a year ago. Still running many original parts including fuel injectors at 210,000 miles. Transmission is weak link in drivetrain and was rebuilt at 120,000 miles. 16 years old and very little rust, non of which is visible from exterior. 4wd has worked flawlessly since new. Truck has plenty of power with the 5.9 magnum engine and pulls anything I put behind it. A/C is still ice cold and have only had the system drained and refilled once in 2014. Oil changed every 5k and burns a quart every 2k. Sold truck to my brother a couple of months ago with 217000 miles. He had to replace driver side window regulator and is driving it daily.

after initial issues
By Mike in WI

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the trk with 40k in phx az now 12 yrs later 191k. Initially 2 yrs after I purchased had to replace the CA emissions..FUN $1100 Has the double catalytic all one piece from motor to the Third and bigger one ...I had moved to TN guess I shouldn't of moved they do emissions by your check engine light basically. I hated the original low squatty tires I went to 235 vs the 255 stock. I drive a lot of hwy and wont be pulled all over the road that way. Figured the gas mileage would get better but nope. Unless I drove 62 or so and under mileage on hwy 17-18. Town 14 Ive even changed driving style to see if better but not much. I went thru 2 power steering pumps in the first 3 yrs ??? Last one now has been on there about 9 yrs. I attributed it to the different tires but I think just crappy parts. All in all the first 3 yrs were the worst. Since only thing Fan control went out after I moved to WI fixed went out 6 mo. later. Under warranty thankfully dealer found a bad circuit on a board overloading. All good 4 months ago changed front calipers after I changed brakes they locked up on me. Now heres the kicker for me about 6 mo. ago my ignition started locking up. Just wearing out is all I took it out and was just using the plug in on the column with an allen wrench to start and my gas mileage went up to about 20 and I'm driving 70+ all the time on freeway. mostly closer to 80 on Freeway. I put the ignition back together a couple months back but left acces to the little push pin so if it locks I easily can just do that and turn the ignition. And now again back to 17 or so..???? I'm betting because I had igniton unplugged all the wires wernt hooked up and the program wasn't doing what its programmed to do. Kinda shitty if you ask me but heck all cars are that way programmed to be one way you BUY a 500$ chip and hey better everything... Oh and replaced steering arm up front abou120k All in all most major complaint is the gas mileage. I hook a snowmobile trailer and I'm lucky to get 12. But I know its a small trk but gas mileage should be better I think only pulling one snowmobile on a trailer. As far as maint goes I think its been awesome. A very dependable truck. There has not been a day since Ive owned the truck where I cannot drive it. To me that's 100% dependability. And I will be the first to admit that I'm not the easiest person on a vehicle. I drive... Its kept up with me.. But ive done regular maint. Oil every 4k at first then every 2500 after 100k. Last change I went to synthetic and ill do 5k changes now. Engine still does not use a drop of oil. Runs great. Transmission good...I very happy even with the fixes except mabey the CA emissions thing..

Great Trek
By Peter Ferraris

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

It has been a fine vehicle I have no complaint. Replace the transmission at about 300,000 miles. I'll have to say I'm completely satisfied and enjoy driving it.

owned MANY TRUCKS OVER 30 YEARS;
By john damphier sr

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I own an excavating company,i have a 2011 chevy 2500 hd 4x4 ect cab 9.3 boss plow.ltz, I use it for towing my 22ft skeeter bass boat and plowing,i bought this 01 Dakoda ext cab 4x4 auto with 4,7 v8 3;55 gears to run around and give prices on jobs, other than typicle dodge rust on fender wells,[witch I painted over] I completely undercoated, change oil to 10w-40 high mile valvaline, and applyied for 225,000 mile engine warrenty,fram filter, I cleaned air cleaner,degreased engine, put synthetic gear oil in, rear end and front diff, the interior looks new, I bought it with 111.361 miles,now has 114.940,i get 18 hwy,14 city,and on a long trip I got 19mpg @ 70 mph,the 4,7 has plenty of power.i did tow terex 60 skid steer,i had no problems, that's about 6600 pounds with trailor,you HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF THEM,i love this truck and so does my labs,i plan on putting on a lot of miles,and I keep every thing stock,it looks sharp in black,i have an 2011 chevy 2500hd with 6.0 but don't like it on job sites,but towed 16,000 lbs, john deere 60 excavator and trailor, never had an issue.but that's my pride and joy,im sponser by skeeter bass boats and use it for that, I hope the dakota holds up,love the seats,and it does ride like a truck, tires are like new,42psi on all 4,i always bought new,but for a work 4x4 I didn't want spend 40k, I think I got a good deal, I bought from a dealer friend,1-owner trade, I paid 4800,truckprices in upstate ny are very high,so this was a steal,i seen 200kgofor 7k and 98-99 1500 chevy with over 200k-300k want 5k to 10 k,has bed liner and factory trailor tow,full power windows,locks,power seat, sliding glass,he put new brakes and rotors on for me,and wheelbarring,is the k@n air filter worth the money?i did put Z-MAX IN TRANNY SHIFTS SO SMOOTH,the 01 was a great model,very nice interior,i hope I have good luck,i had 1 dodge 04 1500 it was junk,it needed breaks every other month,i love the Dakota,thanks for letting me vent, how much will they really tow. I know what the owner manuals said,but I would like to hear from guys that tow,equipment,not a couple 4 wheelers.[big deal]how much pay load,on the 4.7 sport 6.5 box.

Approaching 16 years
By Paul J Tabone

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

My truck is a 3.9 with an A/T. Mileage has never been that great but I knew that going in. I've always been a Mopar guy and this truck doesn't disappoint. I admit that I don't drive it often In nearly 16 years I barely have 70K on it, but those miles have been good ones. I use it for work and play. It has hauled heavy loads distances or taken me on vacations in all kinds of weather and has always been a comfortable vehicle. The only thing it may be lacking is a few extra horses for the hilly bits, but for the most part the V6 has been adequate for my uses. I am happy with the way the truck handles on the open road and well as how it takes the twisty bits, and that with Goodyear Wranglers. I'm planning on driving this truck until either it quits or I do! At my rate of mileage when I'm 80 years old I should be breaking the 100K mark! Honestly no complaints of any worth. The electric window lockout switch went funky and the passenger switch stopped working but there's a work around wiring trick that has cleared that problem up with no trouble. Except for the anemic drivers side floor vents for the HVAC system and the now very slowly leaking evap on the A/C needing a recharge every 2 or 3 years this truck has been a dream for me. I'm on the 3rd set of tires more because of thehir age than anything.