Used 2012 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

Base 0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (91 reviews )

2012 Volt - Better car than most realize
By ChevySS/Volt

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

After 29K in 16 months my 2016 Chevy SS needed a break, so I looked for an affordable (about $10K budget) daily driver. A few on my list were: Cruze Eco and diesel, Chevy Sonic hatch, VW Golf TDI (looked for one returned to market after Mfg. TDI buyback) and the Chevy Volt. I drove a Sonic and eliminated it in short order due to excessive vibration. The VW's are commanding more $$ than expected, so I turned to the Cruze and the Volt. After lots of calculating and several test drives I found a '12 Volt with 69K and got it for $10,600. 2 days in, the OnStar, Bluetooth, satellite radio and Nav were all inoperable. Dealer took car back and had the OnStar module replaced, since then all is working fine. Overall I am fairly impressed with the car. 1850 miles so far and only 3.6 gals of gas used, the rest all electric. I had a 240V charger installed at work and use the 120V at home. The car drives very well and in "Sport" mode it has decent acceleration due to the instant electric torque. Of course when you lean on it, the electric range goes down real quick, but it's there if you want or need it. So far all electric range has been between 35-42 miles depending on speed, traffic, etc...May do even better with new LRR tires. In summary, the first gen Volt is a bit better than expected as a daily driver, it's smooth, quiet and now easily affordable.

Chevy volt
By Brendan

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I leased a Chevy volt for 2 years and didn’t really like the car, it was just a really strange car, In my opinion I think if your going to drive a volt you better live somewhere where it is warm all year round Bc the battery’s freeze when it gets really cold out which causes the car not to start, and that happen to me all the time, so that’s kinda why i didn’t care for the Chevy volt so much.

Great Car
By Gary Stapleton

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Buy a used Volt if you want a great car.

Smooth Volt
By Barbara Gray

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

A ride smoother than an other auto. It never shifts gears. To get the very best electric and gas milage you must drive at 65mph. and keep the planet in the green. I was able to keep the electric milage at 45 miles. Stop slow start slow. And you can drive all day in the city on an electric charge. Gas generator is a little loud. But not louder than a normale gas auto. I would buy a 2016 if I could ford it.

Easy to maintain and fun to drive.
By Larry Coleman

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Over engineered and a bargain on the used market. I recently drove to Las Vegas and back from St. Louis. I had no way to charge once I left St. Louis. I was by myself and in no particular hurry to get there. I was in "mountain mode" for the entire trip and in "cruise control" on 60 mph. I traveled about 3300 miles and averaged 42.5 MPG almost exclusively using the generator engine. I have not had an issue with this car since since I purchased it used in May 2017. I am retired and I never put gasoline in it back here in St. Louis as I make only short trips. I use the charger that came with it in my garage when I get back and that gives me about 40 miles of range. I have only the highest praise for my Volt and it is a joy to drive.