Used 2014 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

My year with the Chevy Sonic
By Lady Dea

2014 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I didn’t like the car when I bought it. I guess that should have been a sign. Bought it with 63xMiles, Ive added 36x Miles. I’ve had it for almost 2 years and I’ve had to replace the air intake hose. That’s fine, $16 fix. Just recently I’ve had to replace my water pump because it would sporadically spew coolant after I finished driving; leaving puddles under the passenger tire. The engine also has started ticking loudly, I’m about to trade mine in and see what I can find for a midsize sedan. For only have the car less that two years; I’m good. Also it surges forward when you’re sitting idle as well. It shakes when your foot is on the brake peddle because it wants to move forward so bad. I have the hatchback, which somehow is bigger than the sedan. The trunk is nonexistent, it has electrical issues, which I’ve read was common. Little things, the lights on the dash will dim and brighten for no reason. I can’t tell how hot or cold my engine is. The dealership couldn’t even flip through the computerized Menu to find it. The backseat is cramped. It’s a small car. For sure. I honestly don’t recommend this car.

2014 chevy sonic dragon green
By Mystical

2014 Chevrolet Sonic LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for a year.could not be happier with the over all vehocle.its the best car I have ever owned

Loved the first one so much I bought another one!
By DeJay Bailey

2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The only downside to this car (after putting $150,000 miles onit) is it's small fuel tank. I loved the car enough to buy another one exactly the same. The handling is superb the gas mileage is great. Not as good as they say it is, but good enough. It just has a really sporty Zippy fun-to-drive feel that it's hard to describe until you drive it. Very Euro feeling. Had to have another one. Didn't last 6 months in a Honda. Went back to my Sonic

Great car for the price
By Charlotte

2014 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this car for a few weeks now. Initially, I was a little skeptical about the size but I'd driven a Cobalt a number of years prior and really liked it so I decided to give it a test drive. After the test drive, I liked the vehicle so we went ahead and purchased it. I've read from a number of reviews that it doesn't get the same gas mileage as similar cars in it's class. From what I've read that's due to the weight of the vehicle. But to me, that says that more durable materials and equipment are used. When you're getting over 30 mpg city driving I'm okay with sacrificing a few mpg for safety. I was driving a minivan prior to purchasing this vehicle so it's still a great savings in fuel economy. Tonight the car really proved it's worth as I drove home in sleet and freezing rain on roads that had barely been touched by the salt trucks. The Traction Control System and StabiliTrak kicked in a few steps along the way but overall we stayed on track and had very little problem. As a mom travelling with my 5-year old precious cargo safely buckled into a booster seat in the back seat I can't say enough about peace of mind I now have after driving this car on poor roads. The front and back seat are both comfortable and roomy. I love the features of the heated front seats, the remote start, and the infotainment system. We added a portable dvd player to the back seat for my son. I have to say so far I am absolutely loving this car and would recommend it to anyone.

Update: six months in and still loving this car.

Chevrolet made a better Golf
By Paul

2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Love this car. Have driven this car for over a year. I am 6'2" and have plenty of leg room, it is a subcompact so it is a little narrow. In fact I do not have the driver seat all the way back or I would not be able to push the clutch all the way in. Surprisingly quiet and solid, compliant ride, handles really well. Of course the car gets good fuel mileage, I get 30 smiles per gallon with a mix of city driving around 40 mph. I usually take a long way home because I love driving it so much. I have the RS, version with the manual transmission. First gear is geared so low that it is almost useless and second gear is too high to start from a stop. The car will not win any races but has plenty of pep for me to have fun driving. I bought the car as a Certified Pre Owned, so I suave the remainder of the new car warranty and the rest of the CPO, warranty as well. My local dealer is great, they take care of my concerns with out me feeling like I have to argue. So the RS, version is a little lower, has a sport tuned suspension and exhaust, four wheel disk brakes, leather seating with heated driver and passenger seats along with all the bells and whistles that can come on a Sonic.