Used 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 97 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

The honest man's truck
By wbrem588

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab 2WD LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Reviewing on behalf of my father. Dad picked up his 2001 Silverado 9 years ago in August. It has the 4.8, the LS trim level, and is 2WD with a short bed. It has been nothing short of reliable since day one. He bought it with 70K, and it now has over 218K. Despite the dreaded piston slap when warming it up on cold mornings, the engine runs flawlessly and like it has 18,000 miles, not 218,000. Other than synthetic oil changes every 5,000 miles, the only under-hood maintenance has been a new battery, washer fluid container, belts & hoses, idler pully, and a tune-up over 100,000 miles ago. That's it. It will need a new water pump soon, but that's a cheap and easy fix. The 4L60-E transmissions aren't known to last forever, but, knock on wood, the one in ours is still running right along. This truck's biggest achilles heal has been the brake lines. These early GMT-800 trucks are notorious for the brake lines rusting out due to bad/cheap undercoating from GM. We ordered new stainless steel lines and installed them ourselves. No problems since. We just finally revamped the suspension around 215K with new shocks, ball joints, and tie rods. It now handles the bumps in the roads much better. Besides normal wear and tear, the interior has held up pretty good. Build quality isn't the best, there are plenty of shakes and rattles in the cabin, but I think it's functional and laid out nicely. All in all, this truck has served us well. It's no powerhouse, it doesn't have any fancy options, but it has been reliable as dirt. And there's nothing like a good old fashioned pushrod V8 under the hood.

Like they state, "Like A Rock!"
By SBB

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT 2WD SB w/out OnStar (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I had many many miles behind 4 different windshields on my old 2001 Silverado I named "Goldie" not only because it was gold but because I always liked Goldie Hawn and I realized that was my best chance at her and I ever getting together and quite frankly like her and her long time spouse Kurt Russell she gave me a long term relationship on the heavy end of 377 thousand miles and tons of good times. This truck was not babied but was well taken care of and we went places, lots of places. From the Florida Keys to the Carolinas, Ohio and more and hours and hours in the hot Florida Sun sitting in traffic waiting on all the wonderful tourons, I mean tourists, sorry you have to live there to understand. Goldie was a 2001 LS 5.3 Step Side and she gave a great ride, hugged the road and had no problem coming to a complete stop in an instant. I had her off road quite a bit as well and with the 3.73 locking diff. I got through a lot. It was comfortable even on long rides at least for the front passengers. Now I never sat in the backseat but from what I hear for the year it is the most comfortable of the trucks in it's class but still uncomfortable to be in for an extended ride. The cons for me are I think some of the interior materials could have been a little better. In the time I had it I put 3 water pumps in it and 1 radiator, 1 alternator, and the usual brakes and such which it did not need for over 110,000. I still see her driving around on occasion but has since had an engine replacement. So I set my sights out for a new old work truck and I just acquired a 2001 LS 4.8 with 149,500 and going to see how high I can get this tack! LIKE A ROCK!

Never thought it would last this long!
By cmickelson

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB w/out OnStar (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Got this vehicle for just over $5000 for my then teenage son, when we got it the vehicle already had 195,00 miles on it. the previous owner used it at a commuter vehicle on the freeway, and when we got it there were minimal maintenance issues that needed to be taken care of. Even after neglected care, after a little elbow grease, this truck's been running great ever since and now has 233,000 miles on it. other than routine maintenance, the truck's been running great for the miles it has on it.

Best First Car
By theacemax97

Back in October 2001, my dad bought a Olympic White Extended Cab 5.3 LS 2001 Silverado and we have had it ever since. I received this car as my first car in the Summer of 2013 (I got it when I was 16, now I am 18) and it has been since the day it came off the lot. Overall, it has been very reliable, it has had a transmission replaced under warranty, around 115k mi, the oil pan began to leak and the water pump was replaced, 140k mi the fuel pump was replaced and thats really all that has been major with it. Just basic oil changes every 5-7.5k miles and fluid changes and it is still running like a charm. Its fast, comfortable, easy to maneuver and it still looks good 14 years later!

- 5.3L V8 power/noise - Comfortable interior - Styling - Truck capabilities - Upgradability - Handles better than you think - Reliable as a wood burning stove - Cheap to upkeep - Safe - Built fairly well

- Gas Mileage - Oil Consumption

Bought a 2001 in 2013
By sstevek

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought the truck as-is, needed a few minor repairs that I did myself. Replaced the radiator, ignition cylinder and heater blower motor resistor circuit. All were not very difficult, I'm not a mechanic. I'm very impressed with the way it rides. The 4.8 V8 engine seems great, smooth, quiet and plenty of power. I like the truck doesn't seem as high as Dodge Ram of the same year, makes for easier loading. It sure doesn't feel like it has 177k miles on it. It's for occasional use, based on other reports I've seen the high mileage shouldn't be a concern. I like that the truck is not over-designed, I prefer the styling of this generation over anything else.

Was asked to update the review. Don't drive the truck much, 3 years since I bought it in 9/2013 and doesn't quite have 180k miles. Once when my son borrowed it and was idling waiting in line it stalled, started back up fine. That and the emergency brake light sometimes doesn't work are the only troubles I can think of. I changed the oil/filter. Easy to do once you get under, I had to remove the driver's side running (tube?.. round not flat) to do so. Engine still runs like new.

Asked again to update the review. Unfortunately due to a job change I traded it in along with my SUV for a large SUV. The silver lining is my son bought it from the dealership as-is. Since he's had it he's fixed several minor things I didn't bother with. He loves the truck, I'd guess now around 188k miles. The only somewhat major but inexpensive repair was the plastic coupler that goes over the heater core valves in the firewall broke with some of it inside the hose. Fortunately he was close to home and didn't lose much antifreeze. He fixed that himself, once again YouTube was a great resource. He used to have a Dodge Ram with the 5.9 V8, the Silverado gets much better fuel economy. I now have a Honda Pilot, the fuel economy is hardly better than the Silverado. I'm planning to go back - may trade in the Honda for an older small car and full size Chevy or GMC pickup truck.