Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

pleased
By Austin

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

great Utility

old red rates 4 to 5
By Ed Jensen

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle has been extremely reliable with out a single breakdown.It has been very good as a cargo hauler and a main car.this red malibu maxx lt was cheap to buy,cheap to maintain and gets about 28 miles to the gallon over all.I have put 55000 miles on it in 3 1/2 years.It has many nice features and runs and drives well.I hope to get another 2 or 2 1/2 years on it and maybe another 30000 to 35000 miles on it.this car still runs and drives well I hope it continues .If it does it will have been an exceptional buy.It has abs brakes traction control heated seats garage door opener and more and everything works.It has been a good buy so far as I only paid 6000 dollars for it.IT was almost flawless inside and out when I bought it.The left rear rocker panel was damaged when I got a flat tire on the freeway.It would have cost 800 dollars to fix so I decided I would just drive it till it dies and just get by as cheap as possible.

family car
By Paul furman

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

electronics are poor rear electronic hatch lock has been replaced twice almost $1000. air conditioner sometimes doesn't work have to pull out fuse & put back in to reset
nice ride & ergonomics comfortable seats great sales mans car or great for long trips like a station wagon with hatch average 18/19 miles per gallon in mixed driving & 22/23 miles per gallon 27/28 on interstates 16/17 miles per gallon in city driving. gets 10% better gas mileage w/89 octane. good old engine technology & trans easy to work on trans very good in shifting & down shifting at right time
handles great with Micheline tires pilot Exalto's H rated also quieter than & better handling than original equipment Firestones which were terrible had to get rid of them my wife refused to drive the car in slippery conditions. Does not hold wheel alignment since new. Remote had to be repaired twice.
Brake pads replaced again after replacement of rotors. Dealer said could not grind them. Never ground before said rotors too thin( I think that was a lie to get the rotors & brake pads rerplaced again after only 14000 miles Cost with discount $597. When things need to be fixed costs are a rip off

Bring it Back
By daisydal14

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new and only have 93,000 miles on it.
I have been hit once in the left rear quarter panel and had it repaired back to new! I was getting 37mpg on the freeway for the first few yeas but I am still getting 35mpg today. In town is not so great.
I absolutely love this car! I really enjoy driving it either around town or on the freeway. Still has great acceleration. Have only replaced thermostat, serpentine belt and brakes and a spring.
Muffler has a small hole in it which is not surprising
- in Wisconsin. Everything still works (knock on wood). The remote fob broke but I am getting it fixed at a jewelers as it needs to be soldered.

Favorite features are elect. seat, and adjustable steering wheel. Making the pedals adjustable was brilliant!! I am very short and this is the first car I have owned that I don't have to have cushions under and behind me to drive. I love that the rear seat reclines and also goes back and forth. The dash is very well laid out and everything is easy to see and reach. I am sorry that GM decided not to make this car after 2007-8. The body design is still up to date in my estimation - it's a beautiful little car. Everyone I know that has one (the LS) are proud to tell you what a great car it is.

No point - not made anymore. Too bad it was a very well designed car.

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS
By aundy28570

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Just brought this car with 151000 miles. Little high but figured if previous owner kept up maintenance like they said then would be ok for a little while considering seemed to be a reasonable deal. Had for 5 days and already to dealership to find out multiple problems. After reading reviews some of these should be recalled such as power steering gear, serp belt needs replacing, remote intermittently works and few times problems with starting. Other problems include replacing oil pan gasket and side mirror switch. I am so dissapointed and to make matters worse the dealership is really high on labor. The mirrors and remote key is not a big issue but the other problems can be safety concerns!!!

Like the body style, sliding moonroof with skylight, despite all the problems really like how smooth it rides.

Would be much better if GM would recall these issues that seem to be a common problem. Need a car for reliability!!! Now I'm afraid to drive it til I can get if fixed which wont be cheap.