Used 1993 Chevrolet Lumina Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Chevrolet Lumina Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

Good luck
By 4speed (nickname)

1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34 2dr Coupe

When I bought mine it only had 15k miles. I love the ride , styling and interior comfort and quality. The doors weigh a ton so don't get anything caught when closing them. We had it about a year and enjoyed several trips and I swear that it seemed like the faster I went the better it hugged the road. Now for the bad things....don't get in a situtation where you need to make a 3 point turn like ordinary cars because it will take 5 points. Be VERY careful when accelerating hard at slow speeds because you will get into problems as it has alot of torque steer and it's easy to over compensate. The car was bone stock and around the 20k mile mark the alternator went out. Fortunately I had a friend at a Chevy dealer who took it in and replaced the alt even tho it was out of warranty. Six months later it went out again. Lucky me that Chevy had a warranty policy that said if any part failed within a year that they installed it would be covered. Well it happened 2 more times and each time it was covered. The alternator sits down behind the engine in front of the passenger feet so it doesn't get enough air. The engine has to be dropped out the bottom for access.....what a job!! I talked Chevy into getting a special aftermarket alternator with built in better cooling capabilities. That one went out too. I remembered Pontiac had gas boiling problems on one of their TransAms and made a blower kit to blow air on the carb. Believe it our not a dealer here had one of the last ones in the U.S. so I got it and installed it. I mounted the fan and ran a snorkel to blow on the alternator. I'll be danged if that one failed too. Back to Chevy for the last time then I sold it. Each time the electrical system was checked with no problems. If I had bought it new I would have had a good Lemon Law case. I have never heard if anyone else had this same problem....probably not. I miss my Z but not the frustration.

Truly a FABULOUS FABULOUS car
By The Good Right Elder Doctor Bishop Rev

1993 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 4dr Sedan

The Chevy Lumina was one of the best cars ive ever owned. So much in that i purchased 3 of them, 1990 sedan, 1990 Euro 3.1 and 1994 Z34 cpe. None brokedown, no issues whatsoever, very reliable. Loved the exhaust note (todays cars are too damn quiet), plenty of room (im 6ft), good sized trunk, great design, built tough and spirited driving experience.

25 years & almost 300K miles - Running Strong!
By JAMES CRONIN

1993 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Love this car. Great visibility. Enjoyable to drive. Nice styling. Very reliable. Very economical. I've owned mine for about 16 years. Original engine. I've replaced a lot over the years, but it's always been manageable. Everything works on my car and it's reliable transportation. It will probably last longer than I will. Almost 300K miles, and still running strong. Not many cars can say that.

Lumina-tor
By Chevyman

1993 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 4dr Sedan

This car has been with my fire chief since it was brand new, I'm a volunteer firefighter. Once i turned 14, I'm 18 now, he sold it to me for $750 with 145k miles. It has 230k now i love it, i take care of it i expect it to last another maybe 100k. It's very reliable, don't like the gas mileage that much and the interior but that's about it. Handles great, looks great, drives great, everything! Also one of a kind white with tinted windows, and flames on it! Not the best flames but hey, $300 job!

Handling, room, power, brakes, nearly everything if it's well taken care of!

Better gas mileage and interior maybe a little more power to the 3.1.

My Baby
By Franky

1993 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 4dr Sedan

I bought it with 135k and drove it till the tranny went out at 215k. I did have to replace things like the ignition switch, starter, and alternator. It was a wonderful car to me and we have been through a lot together. I loved that I could get the tires to let out a chirp when it shifted from 2nd to 3rd! The only time it left me stranded is when the alternator went out (or I was stuck in the snow or I hit a curb)! My brother just bought a '94 and I am excited for him!

very comfortable. pretty reliable. decent amount of get up and go

the rear end on them seems to sag