Used 2009 Chevrolet Aveo Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

It's not even a Chevrolet
By Michelle

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I had a daewoo once. It was the worst car I'd ever owned. Turns out this car competing for worst ever as I find out it's manufactured by Daewoo. Coil pack. Coolant hoses bursting. Thermostat. Then thermostat housing cracks. Then the heater core blows followed by the head gasket. I'll buy Nissan from now on. Bought it with 60k miles. Now at 92k.

Alot of car for a subcompact
By Laurie Harrington

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 2LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The O2 sensor was bad when I bought it but after that was repaired it's been a great little car. I changed the timing belt at 88k. Use copper spark plugs. She hates platinum. Freeway travel at speeds above sixty are noisy.

chevy aveo
By rodericka

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love my new car , its a great Starr for me to start building my credit. Plus the workers will work with you as much as possible to get you driving the same day. The financing is great & reasonable I'm glad to pay a car note on something I can afford thanks to the good workers.

Happy with the purchase of my first new car
By T. Jacklin

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new off the lot. Within a few months I noticed a screeching noise out on the open highway in a cross wind. Come to find out it was something to do with the design of the vehicle (not safety) and after a quick fix at the shop, the noise was gone. I wanted a bare bones car. Lets features, less to go wrong, less expense. This car is perfect for me. It can be parked anywhere, not overly spunky but can whip it on the highway. The fuel mileage is great, only a few minor repairs (mostly from lack of use, not over use) like creaky doors, a rear hatch release that sticks, heater only works on blast (at least it works).

If you are looking for something to get you from point A to B without a lot of bells and whistles, this is your ride. It now has 78,000kms on her, just had the control arm replaced today, new water pump a couple weeks ago. These are things that are going to need replacing regardless, and I think after 6 years that is fair. Still has original brakes, clutch, wipers, numerous other things. I am more than happy with 'The Intimidator'. I would buy another one in a minute. It's GREAT in the snow! (Granted you know how to drive in it. I am Canadian. I have this skill)

Maybe I should have spent a little more
By Rob

2009 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my aveo new in 2009, taking advantage of cash for clunkers got it for about 8k new so I really can't complain about the price. Over the years ita has treated me alright. During the warranty period I did have to have a gear in the manual transmission replaced which would have been pretty costly if I had to pay for it. Had a spark plug boot recall also which was apparently causing some vehicles to run poorly...never noticed that but got it fixed nonetheless. This car does go through a set of tires in about 30k miles, even less for the cheap ones that came on it new....think I replaced those at about 20k. I have done all maintenance routinely, haven't really had any engine trouble. Did have a phantom check engine light at one point and dealer charged me 100$ to tell me that oxygen sensor was stuck in the open position, quoted me about 500$ to fix but after I reset the light the issue never returned. Had to replace a rear axle bushing to the tune of $300 at about 60k. Front disc breaks have held up well still haven't even had to change the pads at 65kk, mechanic says they have plenty of life left. Although the rear drums are currently getting replaced along with shoes for $400 because the shoe came off one locking up my wheel and not allowing me to go home from work last night. This car is 6 years old and has 65k miles. For the most part it has been reliable and I plan on getting another couple years out of it, but I do feel like I have had to fix more than should have been necessary on such a new car that has been well taken care of. Next time I will go with something a little higher end.

Forgot to mention I average about 30 mpg or a little over so can't complain about that!