Used 2009 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Like driving an aircraft carrier!!
By Scott

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

The Avalanche is huge!! The most comfortable ride of almost any truck I've ever been in. Vision to the rear can be challenging depending on your seat position. The fuel economy is decent, I'm averaging about 15mpg combined with mostly city driving. On the highway, figure about a solid 20+mpg. The tranny is silky smooth and shifts without effort. The seats are VERY comfortable and supportive. The instruments, while dated are very functional and easy to read. Yes the plastic trim on the dash seems cheap, but actually very solid. My dash has a crack that I will repair/replace, this is very common for Chevy 2007-2013. I will actually just buy another dashboard (300.00 online from GM). The navagation system is also outdated but does the job just fine (it's dvd based). I bought the vehicle used with 150K on the speedo. Not one rattle at all. Still rides like new and the cabin is totally quiet with no road noise at all. I have updated all bulbs to led including the headlights and they work perfectly. I might upgrade the Nav system in the future, but there is no rush since the factory system performs so well. In total, I love the Avalanche. It has adequate power and can be found for a lot less money than newer designs like the Ram Hemi, and Ford EcoBoost.

Never again
By Bradley

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Paid for LTZ 4WD model 4 years ago. Been in the shop 2 times since purchasing. Folding mirrors stopped working almost immediately, cruise control randomly goes out (especially during colder months), I've had all 4 door handles worked on (very cheaply made), lumbar support has stopped functioning properly, small oil leak & radio/AC buttons peeling and cracking. This has not been a quality purchase for me and I am very disappointed in my Chevy. I will never again purchase from this manufacturer.

Luxurious avalanche
By Ayden James

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche LT2 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I got a 2009 blacked out avalanche the other day I have been wanting one for awhile now and I finally got it I appsolutely love it.

Great Truck
By LTZ owner

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Great truck does everything I ask from hauling my boat and landscape materials such as rocks, yet is good looking enough to hang with the Mercedes and Lexus at high end restaurants. The only cheapness I've found is the plastic door handles which look and feel like chrome both inside and out, tend to break and fall apart in the FL. heat, as well as some failures in some of the electronic sensors over time. The plastic wings behind the windows also turn from black to light gray if you don't constantly maintain them with a protectant.

Inner door to extend the truck bed, Really helpful with kayaks. Hard covers for truck bed which you can actually stand on. Radio volume and selection as well as cruise on steering wheel.

Lights that stay on in cargo area and control of it from the tailgate. Radio stations appearance and vol display by speedometer instead of off to the side. Blue tooth phone hookup instead of onstar which don't pay for due to xtra charge. Electronic roll top bed cover, current ones hard to take off.

Great Riding All Purpose Truck
By Scott

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I am a car nut and trade often..this is by far best riding truck I have owned. My wife has 07 Escalade ESV, my AV. has better ride and more comfortable front seats. In fact My AV. has almost identical options to the fully optioned Escalade including heated/cooled seats. I really like the blue tooth integrated with my cell phone. It automatically pairs with my cell when I enter truck, I make a call using voice recognition and cell still in my pocket and it will use cell unless there is no signal, then switches to "on-star" and gives me an option to complete the call. Love On- Star and the security it gives us. This vehicle is a "jack of all trades, with a great ride for two people.

Front seats, high tech electronics, On- Star, including the back up phone. Large mirrors and back up camera, XM radio,The 6 speed transmission with the grade brake is great. Love the factory 20 inch chrome wheels, just low profile enough to look good without sacrificing ride from lack of rubber

Rear seat design, need more comfort and an option to open part of it to rear while driving. Need to split the rear partition in two to match the two rear seats so one could be up and one down to gain access to cargo compartment. Like most cars, the latest $200 gps is better than the built in.