Skip to main content

Save as much as $2,093
Incentive offers available
Select your trim:
12345...13

We have a limited number of reviews for the 2023 Encore GX, so we've included reviews for other years of the Encore GX since its last redesign.

To Me It's Best Sub Compact SUV For The Price

Zolman, 12/08/2020
2021 Buick Encore GX Essence 4dr SUV AWD (1.3L 3cyl Turbo 9A)

I've test driven all the sub compact SUV under $50,000. The Encore GX didn't have the raw power of some of the other brands BUT it had all I needed plus much better gas mileage. We just got done with a 650 mile road trip and averaged 38MPG. That's much better than the rating and all we did was drive speed limit. It's got enough power to merge into traffic and pass slow traffic on two lane roads. The interior is great and with all the refinements of the premium brands in its class. Granted it doesn't have real leather or 24 speakers, but I don't need that. What I really liked is the moon and combined sun roof, camera system and the safety features. No other SUV in it's class came close. And some of the pro evaluator's said there was cabin road noise ??? I listen to the radio when I drive.

10 months in

Colorado Rural Dan, 08/05/2021
updated 08/08/2022
2021 Buick Encore GX Preferred 4dr SUV AWD (1.3L 3cyl Turbo 9A)

Know that this vehicle is better than the "professional" reviewers give it credit for. Incredible room up front. Very easy for this large Colorado, hat wearing cowboy, to get in and out of. My wife and I have no children at home so we are not concerned about back seat layout so I will not comment on that. Controls are intuitive, easy to use. Setting up my wife's apple and my android phone was a snap. The car comes with it's own hotspot which is really nice in Colorado where we often had no cell reception while driving. Though we repeatedly saw that mileage on the highway would be at best 30mpg out real life experience, so far, is 36mpg. We live very rural and so do little to no "city" driving. Was not looking to buy a new SUV when we found this but could not refuse the deal Buick offered. Our good fortune. It is NOT underpowered. The EncoreGX gets the job done! If you are in the market for a new small SUV, look at the EncoreGX. Ours is in "preferred" trim 4wd, and truly cannot see why I would spend the extra to go up a model. This has everything that we could want. Update: I have now had this vehicle for 10 months. The 4wd has worked well for this winter. Handling has been excellent I did replace the all seasons with snow tires. The hot spot was ok but did not work as well as I initially thought so did not pay for the subscription and let it lapse. The paint seems to chip easier than I think it should so I now have a bottle of touch up to use so that it does not become a problem. Would still rate this 4.5 stars. Would recommend and would buy again in the same situation. Update: Have now had for 1 year. Still love it. Now I see a reason for the upgrade and wish I had, as by now the extra money spent would seem inconsequential. I have the cloth seats, white. Would be much easier to keep clean if they were leather. I miss that it does not have the adaptive cruise control that keeps you spaced from the car ahead. I would still recommend to anyone wanting a small SUV. By the way, up here at 8,000 plus feet it gets over 40 mpg. I know it would not do that down at near sea level but is a nice thing anyway.

4 out of 5 stars
5 out of 5 stars

This car is NOT slow (with 1.3L)

Peter, 12/17/2020
2021 Buick Encore GX Essence 4dr SUV AWD (1.3L 3cyl Turbo 9A)

Purchased a 2021 Encore GX Essence and it is a fantastic car. Let’s address the elephant in the room first; SO many reviews of this car are positive until they get to the engine and then it all falls apart with comments pertaining to it being very slow and loud. Mine is FWD and most reviews are with AWD which may be part of the problem. My experience with the 1.3L has been instantaneous power with no turbo lag and quite quite. Mine includes the Advanced Tech Pkg Experience Buick Pkg, Convenience Pkg and is quite a vehicle that definitely feels a class above. It is higher in price but with this amount of tech (self parking anyone?), the quiet interior, very smooth ride and sharp styling I encourage anyone considering this car, and even those not considering it to drive it. You should be impressed. So no one is confused, the “Model” section below does not include an Essence FWD 1.3L forcing me to select the AWD option.

Build Your 2023 Encore GX
At a Glance:
  • 8 Colors
  • 3 Trims
  • 6 Packages
  • $25,900starting MSRP
Build & PriceBuick.com
The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price excludes destination freight charge, tax, title, license, dealer fees, and optional equipment. Dealer sets final price. Click here to see all Buick vehicles’ destination freight charges.

I love my GX

Happy Owner, 11/15/2020
2021 Buick Encore GX Select 4dr SUV AWD (1.3L 3cyl Turbo 9A)

So I am not an automotive aficionado, I am an average middle-class consumer. I have read reports of “sloppy steering”, awkward displays, etc., and I have experienced none of that. It’s a great looking little SUV that you can park almost anywhere. I have the 1.3 liter turbo and it’s a lot peppier than my previous Encore’s 1.4L engine. For the price, I just don’t know how you can beat it. I would buy it again without hesitation.

I love my car!!

Ethan, 11/19/2020
2021 Buick Encore GX Select 4dr SUV AWD (1.3L 3cyl Turbo 9A)

I am in love with this car! It feels so zippy around town with the turbo 1.3. Power is adequate on the highway, but it definitely wont win any races. The interior feels more premium than other subcompact crossovers. The backseat has adequate space. The technology is where this car really shines! The lane keep assist is great, and so is the infotainment system. The only thing that would make this car better is if it had a bigger engine. Overall, I am in love with my Encore GX Select!

4 out of 5 stars