Used 1996 Buick Century Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Buick Century Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Century model:

"Auction Blues"
By NW

1996 Buick Century 4dr Sedan

I purchased the vehicle at an auction for $2500 and based on appearance, one owner and 75K miles for a 1996 model it seemed like a good buy. After driving the vehicle 2-3 times a week for (5) months I now have the "auction blues" because of current repairs: New tire, oil pan/intake gaskets, rear shocks, headliner, accelerator/throttle adjustment, realigned drivers door so it closes properly, replaced cracked/peeling hubcap, electrical problems with passenger windows and brake pads . Repairs were $1065 added to the purchase price of $2500 for a total of $3565. So, I have a loss of $1865 per Edmunds appraisal of $1700.

Old Reliable!
By BuickLover

1996 Buick Century 4dr Wagon

Great starter car! Bought mine used when I was 17 and it had 115,000 miles on it and several dings on the exterior. Got me every where and it now has 155,000 miles on it. Motor/transmission runs great and gas mileage is great at a whopping 28 mpg and that's in the country and city. Only bad thing about this car is window motor easily goes out and so do the automatic locks. I've put many miles on my car and driven it through snow, ice, mud, potholes and it never let me down!

my first car
By breazy love it baby

1996 Buick Century 4dr Sedan

i read a comment about it not being good for a teenager its all how you look at it. I was 17 when I bought the car from my dad. at first I was hesitant. Then I fell in love. It was reliable, smooth to drive , and so comfortable. I think its all the way you look at it I don't want to say the car fit me but I fit my car. mine was a custom edition. Well I am not quite sure it said custom on the exterior, but on the dash it said limited so I loved it and I think no matter the age this car is perfect. sad story mine was stolen and everything was ruined the leather was torn engine, taken out the list goes on. Now I am on the search to own my champagne colored whip once again.."it's all krystalle"

leather seats, and white stripe tires!

I can't really think of any

So many still on the rooad
By Been Around

1996 Buick Century 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in Florida, drove it around the country, through snow, rain, sleet, desert... It has always been reliable. Recntly I parked in a parking lot in our SMALL town and there were five Buick Centuries, from !980's through 2000 models. Little things like power window failures go, I replaced struts, but with regular maintenance, these cars seem to run forever, get good gas mileage, and my giant dog can spread out in the backseat!

How old are you?
By boshsb

1996 Buick Century 4dr Sedan

Car is a good first car with outdated styling(they kept the body from the early 80s to mid 90s) and bad handling. Bad understeer tendency that is exaggerated by wet weather. I got the car at 90k and killed it around 115k. Stock struts are miserable and I killed a total of two front pair. Went through 8 tires on it (1sets rear, 3 front) until it finally died, the differential went out, but not before the rear window motors starred going (hence not my fault, the diff was). If you are good though, it can out handle a Civic due to its ability to power out of turns. It can do burnouts, drifts and anything else you make it do, but it will fight you all the way.

GM 60 degree v6 (not a 3100 as someone above posted) is amazing. Ran without an oil change and air filter for close to 15k miles(regular cheap oil) and there was no performance difference and there was no difference in mileage, I got 18 running hard and 21-23 running "nice"

Suspension needs redesign, dash is outdated and doesn't tell you enough, radio is old. Needs new modern conveniences.