Used 2005 Acura RSX Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used RSX for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Awesome Car

CaliPatriot88, 07/21/2010

I drove the Honda Integra when I was in Japan and loved it so much I bought the USDM version the RSX. I couldn't afford the type s though so I bought the luxury base model. A great car fast and nimble on the highway, it loves going fast and loves taking corners. Great on gas, run on premium and you'll get some faster acceleration out of it.

Bought it brand new. Amazing Car

nateprice, 10/04/2013

Bought it off the lot in 2005. Have had it for 193000 miles. The only thing I've had to replace is the rear calipers which siezed up at 150,000 miles. Still have the original clutch. No other repair costs. And I drive this thing HARD... Brakes last, tires last, amazing gas mileage. 5 spd manual is fun, 160 hp engine could be a bit beefier. Type S isn't that much faster and requires premium. Friend has type s, He barely accelerates faster up to 60 mph. From 60+ the Type S really accelerates better. Handles amazing! Take turns fast with confidence and ease. Steering is responsive

RSX S-Type- Not Just for Kids

Matthew M., 03/24/2006

I've owned the RSX S-Type since Dec 1, 04. I took my wife's TSX in for an oil change and test drove the RSX while I was waiting. I went back the next day and bought the RSX. The general manager asked who the car was for. I said for me, do you think I'm too old (55 at the time). I love it. It is by far the most fun car to drive I have ever had and the most sporty. The sport does add a much stiffer suspension than some may like but for handling you can't beat it. It loves the on ramps to the interstate and the faster you drive it the better it sticks. The higher the revs the better and it will fly in the higher rev range. Best car in this class for the money, period.

Excellent!!

dendron, 09/03/2006

What a shame Acura has decided to discontinue this model beyond 2006! The RSX -- especially the Type-S -- is major bang for the buck. Grab one before they're gone. I owned a 2002 Type-S, which I loved, until the refinements of the 2005-06 were introduced... then I had to trade. My 2005 is a noticeable improvement over the earlier varsion. A very nice blend of luxury, economy, and performance for under $25K. Several reviewers have complained about the rough ride. This is primarily due to the crappy Michelin touring (M+S) tires Acura shackles this car with from the factory. An upgrade to a set of oversized General UHP summer tires TOTALLY transformed this car for me. BIG difference!

Can't beat it!

jammin05s, 04/06/2006

I love this car. You will truly appreciate the power out of a stock 4 cylinder engine. More than 50 horse power per cylinder!! Performance you can't imagine from a company that did.

I am smiling again

PACA, 08/28/2016
Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have been driving Acura’s for the past 25 years. I had a 91 & 99 Integra GSRs and must say these cars for the money were the best all around. Stepped up to a couple of TLs and was quite disappointed with the Acura Brand as I questioned build quality. Decided to give the brand one more chance by purchasing used 05 RSX Type-s. This car as I recalled from the past has a solid build quality with lots of fun factor. Mechanically sound with no problems, excellent gas mileage and a NATURALLY aspirated 210 hp engine. Six speed gear shift is remarkable even with 161K miles.

Fun little car

statusone, 05/14/2012

This was my first car ever and I enjoyed the heck out of it. It was vivid blue pearl and I had the type-s so the wheels looked amazing as well. The car was definitely a head turner and everyone seemed to like, people would let me thru in traffic (this doesn't happen in something like a bimmer). It is a Honda so it is reliable as the universe and I had it serviced at Honda (since no Acura dealership was built near me at the time) and I got Honda prices, but Acura prices aren't that bad actually for a luxury car. It isn't as fast as you'd expect a 210 hp car to be. The problem is you have to wind it up to 6500 rpm to get it going and there's very little torque. But a fun drive nevertheless

So far it's been amazing

cczajka21, 10/17/2014

I bought this car about a month ago with only 84,000 miles on it. For being almost 10 years old, I thought that was pretty good. I have always loved this kind of car and ended up finding one when I wasn't even looking. After the first test drive i fell in love. The 6 speed is amazing and so much fun to drive. It has the perfect amount of power for me and it handles great. I was worried about the mpg because before this car I had a corolla and got excellent gas mileage. I go to college in a big city so I figured that would lower my mpg but I'm getting an average of 29.5 which I thought was good. So far I have had no problems and hope it stays that way so i can keep this car for a long time.

Silver Rocket!!

Tom, 05/02/2005

A fantastic car! Amazing performance from a 4 cyclinder engine (and good fuel economy as well). Short-throw 6 speed is perfect. Build quality is exceptional. Feels tighter than a drum. Stock stereo is quite good as well. Perfect car for those who want great performance but don't want the higher fuel costs and "boy racer" looks of some of the others.

Fast Junk

Time 4 a change, 07/07/2006

I had a 2002 RSX base that I loved. Then got hit by a red light runner which wasted the car. I went out and bought a 2005 Type S thinking it would be even bette. WRONG! This thing is junk. I've had it in the shop more times that I can remember. The struts have been fixed/replaced at least 5 or 6 times, the moonroof stopped sealing and had to be replaced, I have numerous rattles in the dash and doors. All this started at 750 miles and it now has 10,000 and is still going. I've had to file a lemon law claim as one deal just stopped returning my calls. I have well over 40 days of shop time and I can say that the TL is junk too since I've had it as a loaner car all this time too.

Great Sporty Luxury Affordable Car

Timothy M. Crawford, 09/07/2005

I (like many others!) needed a car w/ better mileage. I traded my 2000 Dakota PU for this. What a great car! It is fun to drive. It's sporty and quick. I love the Sequential shifter. I can play when I want, or just let it ride fully automatic. I took a road trip over a 800 miles and NOT ONCE did I ever feel uncomfortable. The leather seats wrap around you and make you feel very secure. I had just about all accessories put on this car and it was still a bargain! It looks great and is good on mileage. 2 major plusses...It is; 1....highly rated by consumers reports, and 2 it is an ACURA. Nuf said...Try to find an 05 now!

Adrenaline Rush

Nauman, 09/21/2005

as far as performance is concerned, its got more then enough for any stupid ticket your trying to get. after 3k revs this car jumps to life like nothing else. stock/ it will hang with v8's. i have just under 8k on mine, no mods except the subs, and no real racing experience. this car managed to pull me out of a deadly situation on the highway at over 120mph. it also destroyed countless red light revvers. has gotten an otherwise ordinary man tons of attention. and has people wondering what my hurry is. if you wanna know what a cheap thrill really is, go out and get one of these bad boys...

DJHonda84, 10/17/2005

My previous car was a Mazda MX-5 Miata. I enjoyed it a lot, however due to the need of more passenger and cargo room, I had to replace it. I wanted something that sacrificed as little of the driving experience I had grown accustomed to as possible. I wanted something with two-doors, 4-seat minimum, light-weight, sport-tuned suspension, decent cargo room and fuel economy. I chose the RSX for many reasons. It satisfied the criteria listed above, I had a good ownership experience of a Honda in the past, and the styling fit me. I chose the type-S trim for the same reason anyone else would chose it: more power and tighter suspension than the base model.

sunkist

sunkist, 05/13/2006

i like my car, its fun to drive.

Used Acura

robertbaseball, 09/08/2011

So i'm a new driver and i just bought a 2005 AcuraRSX as my first car. I've driven other cars and the engine noise isen't so loud. Is it just my car or is it just a noisy car? Other than that i love it! Leather seats but very sporty bucket seats. Interior is a little plain but has plenty of room to add an indash navigation system which will do soon. Plenty of horse power even in the non S type. Great car!!

I Love This Car

Arieno, 06/10/2005

I love everything about this car. I was driving a 1987 Chrysler LeBaron because I never found anything new that would compare to its styling and handling until I found this.

My Acura

Cheslie, 06/14/2005

This car is amazing, especially on turns. The only area that I could criticize would be acceleration going up bridges, other than that...it's PERFECT! lots of room too.

Good Things Come with Time

EIS, 10/13/2004

This is the first Acura I’ve owned since my 1990 Integra coupe. I considered buying the RSX when it first came out but I was indifferent with its corky exterior styling. When I saw the 05 I knew I had to buy one. I think Acura did a stellar job at keeping this car unique yet giving it design cues from Integras of past. The quality of leather and overall interior feel has greatly improved; it feels more like an Acura now. If anyone is contemplating over a 04 and 05 definitely go with the 05, you’ll thank yourself later.

What I have been looking for!

zorman71, 11/27/2004

Been looking at many different cars for ~2months. Then I went to the Acura dealer, where my journey ended. This car is very fun to drive, environmently guit-free, and I enjoy the heck out of communting to work & short trips on the weekends. So far it seems I can comfortably double any speed sign an any exit ramp while riding alone. My 4 year old daughter loves hanging out in the back on weekend drives, plenty of room for the 3 of us (me, mom & her). Should also note I tested the Scion TC3 & the RSX towers.

Great car, great price

Tom, 09/03/2005

Definitely worth the money. Had it for about 2 months now and still can't wait to get in and drive. Im in love with the interior design and the handling. My car only has 850 or so miles on it so I haven't taken it over 4000 revs yet. Haven't seen what this baby can really do. Lovin it so far.

Even

David Rector, 03/22/2006

I love the care but it has allready had a new Motor put in it and there are alot of rattiling in the dash but overall the car is fun to drive and the fuel economy is great so over all I would Rate and allright car

A Great Second Car

Hondalover, 07/07/2008

This is my second vehicle. As a younger driver I find this car absolutely perfect for me and the things I like in a car. Easy, fun, good enough on gas, sharp style, commanding appearance, and amazing handling.

Bang for buck

chris, 09/03/2008

This car is one of the best cars I have ever owned. Fast, fuel efficient, quiet, comfortable, and long lasting. 210 hp in a car that weighs under 3000 lbs. 6 speed tranny good for lower rpms at 80 mph, or higher top speed. Governor kicks in at 145. World's fastest front wheel drive NA car. And under 20k. Would love them to continue production. :-( they never should have stopped

Resilient Coupe

TypeS4real, 02/06/2009

This is my 2nd Type S & still impressed. With the hp bumped up to 210, it performs very well. Turn-ratio & handling are great. For a high torque coupe, it still gets good mpg, but it does require premium unleaded. Like other owners say, the ride can be extremely stiff so watch bumps in the road very carefully, seriously. I like how Acura upgraded the wheels to 17s, but wish they kept the original headlights, since that's what initially caught my eye. Interior hasn't changed, still sleek. The fold-over rear seats are a huge plus, but rear seating is narrow. As long as required maintenance is done (which is HIGHLY recommended), it'll be faithful. Definitely reliable, fun, & a great value.

I love this car

Rich, 01/07/2005

I absolutely love my RSX Type-S. Whether I'm driving to the supermarket or across the state it is the one of best cars I have ever driven.

great car

RickC, 01/07/2005

Great all around car. Fun to drive!!

05 purchase

diver, 01/06/2005

I've been extremely happy with my 05 rsx type-s. The car is very refined, has more than adequate performance for a regularly aspirated 2 litre 4 cyl, reasonably comfortable for a performance sports coupe and has great fuel economy to boot. I waited for the 05's to come out as I wasn't thrilled that the 04's still had 16" wheels and a little too much road noise. The changes for 05, although relatively minor, were enough for me to forgo the 04.

Good but can offer more

Crazy Al, 01/07/2005

A great car. Powerful, fantastic handling and unbelievable gas mileage (30+). Ther could be more offered with this special car like heated seats, etc. Even the A-Spec package is not yet available. Can't wait!

A Very Tricked-Out Ride

robert_s, 02/11/2005

I've been driving this car for about a week now and I love it. It feels very solid and well constructed. It is definitely a street racer, although I did not buy it for that reason. The suspension is very firm and the car handles very well in general as it is built low to the ground. But as much as I like it, everyone else around me seems to love it even more--neighbors, co-workers, etc., have all profusely complemented me on it. I had already placed an order for a Chevy Cobalt SS but it wasn't ready in time. This was about the same price and I think I did better with this--and it isn't a Toyota like everyone else has. Overall, I think it's a lot of car for the money.

Great car

ATB, 02/17/2005

I bought my RSX at the end of October. I traded in a '98 accord coupe and wanted to stick with a car made by Honda. I've always been impressed by their reliability and I continue to be with my RSX. The handling of this car is great. It takes corners beautifully and has a decent amount of acceleration. The leather interior is luxurious, with everything in easy access for the driver. The seats are very comfortable and offer great support. Some bi-xenon headlights would be nice! Overall I am extremely happy with the choice I made.

RSX fun

jose quintero, 02/26/2005

Purchasing my RSX is the best decision I've ever made. Driving it is as fun as riding a roller coaster only the car has a fantastic stereo system. NO regret whatsoever. This is definately THE IMPORT KING!

Like my RSX

Johnsogk, 03/27/2005

I get lots of compliments from people who see my car, which IS a lot of fun to drive. My only complaint is that I don't like the spoiler, which impedes my vision when backing up. I really like the fact that practically everything is standard, making it easier to buy and know the price.

Acura RSX

Michelle Stanley, 04/11/2005

This is a fine car for the price. It is fun to drive and the sportshift feature is a fun feature.

WOW

TCraftyL, 05/01/2005

Just got my RSX a few weeks ago, and WOW! It's perfect for someone who wants a hot sports car but not something overly flashy. I was worried that the 160 horsepower engine wouldn't give me as much "go-power" as my last, 190 horsepower car, but that's not a problem. This little thing can go! I would have like to get the Type-S instead with 210 horsepower, but unfortunately I didn't like the wheels OR the spoiler that comes factory installed on the Type-S. Acura should consider changing them or making them options. To sum it up - this car is hot!

A compact delight

Old Sport, 05/03/2005

I owned a '90 Integra that was an excellent fun to drive car that got handed down to both my kids. The '05 RSX-S is twice a much fun to drive. The handling is exemplary, the smooth, high-revving engine gives sensual pleasure to everyday driving, and the 6-speed transmission is impressively precise in shifting. Those that complain about the transmission might be happier driving M-1 tanks for the First Armored Division. This is a well- executed, high-spirited, 2+2 sports coupe at a very fair price. It gives the most pleasure when it is driven with skill - not flogged like a dirt bike.

My Acura

Liz, 05/13/2005

This is the first Acura I have ever bought and I love it. I will continue to purchase Auras from now on. I highly recommend the Type-S which is compared to the Type-R from Japan. This can is smooth in the turns and allows for some great driving capablities.

2005 Acura RSX Type-S

Eddie Strzalkowski, 05/15/2005

The Acura RSX Type-S is a great ride if you can drive a 6 speed manual. This car not only has 210 HP it has a V-Tec engine which really gives it a boost. Everytime you shift you feel like you have control of the car and it is so efficient you can even make the ride smoother than automatic. The ride is great, it sticks to the ground. With my Pearl Blue 2005 Acura RSX-S I ran a 14.8 second quarter mile at the track, stock. The car is completely reliable so far, has an awesome 6 disc CD player right in the front(not in the trunk). My brother also has a Pearl Black 2005 Acura RSX-S and it looks sharp also. Many people underestimate this vehicle. Test it out for yourself. It's worth every penny.

Great sporty coupe

Richard, 05/28/2005

Not much interior space to work with, but that's what you get with a sporty coupe. Great handling and steering and interior leather. A pleasure to drive.

Die hard GM man converted by my RSX !

GRNTYPE-S, 05/28/2005

Im 51 and this is the 1st import I have ever owned. The car is amazing! The ride is smooth and the road feel is taught, but not "stiff". You can nail the gas pedal and hear it just come to life like a wild animal or take it out for a quite cruise at 70 while playing Motzart. The body style is unlike anything else on the road. And the quality and attention to detail is unsurpassed at this price. The Chevy Cobalt Supercharged version is in the same price range. But look closely... it doesnt hold a candle to the quality of the RSX Type-S.

RSX IS A GREAT BUY

Alex, 06/02/2005

This cars is my second honda purchase, my first being a civic dx in 99. I love veything about honda's reliability with my first car and now the RSX Type S has added great handling, incredible pick up, great high end speeds, and an appearance second to none. I would suggest this car to anyone who really enjoys driving a little too fast a little to often. As far as maintance i have had none which is right in line with honda's reputation. GO BUY IT TODAY!!

In a word? FUN.

Eric, 06/14/2005

This car is just a ton of fun. It's got pretty good torque off the line, but get the RPM's at about 6500 and feel 'er fly! The sport-tuned suspension (I have a Type-S) makes for great handling, yet the ride is still releatively quiet. The interior is very well designed, with the focus placed (as it should be) on the driver. While there is, technically, a rear seat for two, this is really only a two-seater for all intents and purposes. Small children and/or pets are the only things suited to being in the back. If you're looking for a passenger car, look elsewhere. If you want a fun car with nice pep and great extras (what a sound system!), get this car.

RSX-S is the way to go!

pannetron, 06/26/2005

The Type S for 2005 comes with better wheels, brakes and suspension turning an already great car into a wonderfully responsive sports coupe.

God's gift to the sport compact scene

05 Black Type S, 06/28/2005

This car is an absolute dream. I picked my 05 Black Type S up for invoice price! The Type S has what feels like an endless supply of power. I drove from Chicago to Indianapolis right after I bought it, and had problems keeping it under 90mph, it just wants to get up and run. I love the attention this car brings... I'm a single 23 year old male, and I don't mind the looks I get from girls who see/hear the Type S. It's fast, and looks classy... almost like a baby Ferarri.

Buy It!

Dee, 07/09/2005

If you are looking at any of the competitors don't even bother. This car rocks! It is fun to drive and has the Acura quality that others can't compete with. This car is practical to drive everyday, but is still fun and kicks it when you need to. I would say that the only negative is the size. Some of my taller guy friends are really crammed when riding in it. I have had Civics, Accords, Eclipse, and none compare to this car. I can honestly say, you will never regret it if you buy and RSX.

Great car but needs minor improvements

Gerard, 07/10/2005

I had an '04 that creaked and groaned with body flex and some other problems as well so the dealer bought it back from me and sold me this one. Much improved structure, smoother ride (with bigger wheels), infinitely more comfortable seats, the boy racer rear wing is finally gone, and the exhaust note is better. This is one fun car to drive and knowing it's a Honda, it'll last. 0-60 time cut from 6.3 to 6.2? awesome! Build quality has been improved and it's look isn't so animated. Still very irked that there is no center armrest, no XM option, can't play MP3's, and no express up/down on passenger side.

Great girls car

A Dad, 07/11/2005

Bought the 05 RSX in Jade Metallic for my daughters 17th birthday, her first car. She was not disappointed and neither am I. Easy to handle great to drive and very dependable. Price was not bad either. The S type would have been great for me but as a first car the 2.0 auto with sport shifting is just what the doctor ordered for a young inexperienced teenage girl driver

Great car

stereo5, 07/26/2005

I have owned many cars in my 32 years of driving, the 2005 RSX Type S is the BEST car I have ever owned. The car is very quick, very quiet and extremely reliable and fun to drive.

Solid

krachon, 07/27/2005

Overall a great ride. Fast, smooth and fun when on the road. I am on the road driving everyday for work and the RSX makes the driving much more tolerable.

Type S

Trader, 09/13/2005

Ive put 3600 miles on and have had no problems. This car is so fast, loves to rev. Seems like the car is begging you, "come on push me, ive got plenty more power for you"! The stereo sounds great and who wouldn't love zipping through those 6 gears. Seems like the cockpit was designed just for me. And the sound of that exhaust at high revs, wow. I'm sold on Acura.

Type S

Woe-D, 10/28/2005

I bought my type S in Feb. The car is just sick. It handles like no other car I have ever driven. The gear ratio is ridiculus. I can shift gears so quick it doesn't make any sense. I recently took it to the mountains and had a blast going around sharp curves at high speeds. Not even feeling like I was even going 15 miles an hour. It is a great car.

51050