Used 2004 Acura RSX Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used RSX for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Mistake to stop producing RSX's!

ratty, 05/11/2010

This has been a great car, very reliable, fun to drive! Don't know why Acura stopped making this model? Would buy another in a flash.

Love this car!

anhdao, 06/06/2012

I owned this car for 8 years and loved it. Such a great value for a car with all of the main luxury items you would want. I never had any major mechanical problems and always had fun driving this even though it was a stick and I lived in LA. Had to trade it in for a more family friendly car last year, but still miss driving it!

Super reliable

maluchf1, 11/28/2013

Owned a base 2004 RSX for 167k and had minimal problems with it. Ownership has been painless and low cost. At 167k the engine is still strong, the transmission (auto) is slowly showing signs of wear but I think it has another 30-40k in it. Just great engineering.

Very disappointed...

prettyboon, 04/06/2005

I am very disappointed in this car. I used to be a big Honda fan, but I think i've changed my mind. The transmission sucks, which is a common complaint. Fuel economy is bad. The interior is missing alot of luxuries for the price. Heated leather seats should be standard, along with lighted vanity mirrors. The interior is very plain looking. The stock tires are bordering on dangerous for being on the car. After less than a year of having the car there were already rattles in the dash. I'm trading this car in very soon. This car is no Integra. I don't know what Honda was thinking.

No longer own this vehicle

Gilbert Frey, 01/02/2016
Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Car is not overly comfortable on long road trips. Rear visibility is poor. Blind spots are bad for lane changing. Backup camera is a must (I added this myself). Rear seats are small and cramped and uncomfortable. Hard to exit the car gracefully. Parts are noticeably expensive (had to replace starter recently). Car was sold in April 2016 and not replaced by another vehicle

One Sweet Ride!

RSXdemon, 12/09/2004

Great to drive...anywhere. Big trunk space for a coupe, I was able to move furniture and a 24' TV. Great handling on turns, Love that the radio faces more to the driver. Excellent gas milage...LA to Las Vegas in 3/4 of the tank. Looks like a rocket all my friends love my car. I got mine for 20K.

Great car!

anhdao, 12/07/2012

I loved everything about this car. I wish I still owned it.

Too many problems with this car.

ThisCarSucksIHateIt, 04/07/2004

I had a Mitsubishi before this car, and this car is so much worse. It is constantly in the shop. Transmission problems, rattles, squeeks, noises, the stereo was incorrectly wired. Just recently, my engine went out. I started looking to see if others had similar problems on the net, and it's worse. I found about 300 other owners also having engine failures, some people claim there are thousands more. Then I saw a video of a guy on FOX News talking about how his engine went out and his car is a LEMON. It's a nightmare. Today I found out that they are not warrantying my engine and my parents have to pay 10,000 dollars to fix it!

Acura Sucks

Matthew Stewart, 06/24/2004

The enigne block was cracked after 5,500 miles. I took it in becuase it was leaking oil. They replaced the oil filter. Still something wrong so they had to "call" Acura to find out the small block was cracked. Seriously. It took 17 days to fix and when I was intially told I could get it the dealer said my car was not ready because my engine was "laying in pieces on the floor". Not a comforting thought. They clutch just went out at 45,000 miles and they would not replace it for free because it is a wearable part. Well, I guess the enigne is "wearable" too but it still does not go bad after 5,500 miles. The seal around the driver's door was coming undone.

Tranny problems

hondalover, 09/30/2008

I have owned Hondas all my life, every version of the Civic or Integra imaginable. This RSX Type S was very disappointing. The 6 speed transmission was a major problem for me, and I brought it back to the dealer several times. These cars notoriously grind 2nd and 3rd gears, and when I brought it back to the dealer they claimed that they could not "replicate the problem" Engine is awesome, suspension is killer, but the tranny is a huge problem! Beware when you purchase!

ACURA RSX

steph D, 09/29/2004

Ive had my RSX for almost four months, it is a gorgoeus car and not too expensive. I would urge anyone that is looking in the RSX price range to test drive one.. you will most likely buy one, it has amazing handling. The RSX may seem small, but I managed to move furniture, boxes and clothes with out a problem.

I'll keep mine, thank you!

charlew, 04/27/2008

My 4 year lease will end in June of '08, and I plan on keeping this car until it starts to rust. Buy-out is well below the car's value. I thought is was just me w/the quirky 2nd gear, but I see others have noticed it, too. Dependably 320 miles per tank (26-27 mpg in city driving). Super reliability - I had brake pads replaced a week ago, even though the originals still had about 3 months left on them. Could have leased it for 4 years & never changed the brakes. Love the VTEC sound, enjoy the handling, especially when I have the chance to cut loose on a twisty. At 6'4" and 220, I fit comfortably, but nobody ever rides in the back! A few body chirps in the cold,and stereo needs upgraded.

RSX is not an INTEGRA

Integragrl22, 02/25/2004

I am disappointed in acura for calling the RSX and integra. It is nothing like an integra and doesn't deserve the name. Acura needs to bring back the REAL integra.

Loves to redline!

Adam, 12/07/2009

Bought my Type-S used with 29k miles in 06. 3 years later and now with 83K miles the car still drives great. Very reliable, great on gas, with few bolt ons car will give you a run for its money. I have driven the car hard for 3 years and never gave me any problems.

TypeS Excellent value for the price

ran, 10/22/2003

While the exterior and interior leave much to the imagination the performance is undeniable. For a car at this price it is excellent and you know you have Honda's reputation of reliability behind you.

delighted with my RSX-S

new RSX owner, 11/12/2003

I just picked up my new RSX-S last week and I am extremely happy. I was also debating on buying a Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS and I am so glad that I decided on the Acura.

nice car

Luca, 11/16/2003

i-vtec engine is powerful spitting out 200 horses at 7400 rpm's and is quite intelligent.

Good Car

Amun Re, 11/25/2003

Well built. Only have 1100 miles but they have bee a fun 1100. Can feel the engine getting stronger as it loosens up. Very quick for a 4 cyl.

worst...transmission....EVER

B17A1girl, 06/28/2005

As a the Internet Sales Manager and a salesperson at a car dealership, I drive different cars every day. My Acura RSX type-S, which is supposed to be one of the most reliable cars available, has the worst manual transmission I have ever experienced on a new car. Ever since I bought it, 2nd and 3rd gear have been grinding. It's been back to 3 different Acura dealers 4 times for the same problem. Only one of them was willing to fix it and found that the synchros are bad from the factory. They supposedly replaced them but the problem continues. NEVER buying a Honda product again.

A classic

KRA, 07/16/2017
Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Great car

Almost perfect

Tim , 02/05/2009

Bought it used in 2008 with only 24000 miles. I noticed it gets very good fuel economy at around 35 mpg highway @70mph. The acceleration is moderately quick though the automatic version I have lacks low end punch but I feel a much higher kick above the 3000 RPM range. It handles very well in most situations. Although the inside is more sporty than luxury, that's what is expected. I overall think its better than the majority of its competition and worth a look.

Nice

Reed, 01/02/2008

I have owned my 04 Acura RSX as original owner. I have not had any problems mechanically. Brakes and tires and maintenace is very reliable. I have 66,000 miles to date and wouldnt get rid of it, except its kinda small in the back and a little bored with it. If you like coupes it's great. Dependable. Moderately quick and pretty fun to own.

Fun to drive but out of control on turns

ZachT, 10/03/2003

This car is fun, it has pretty good exceleration, but at high speeds it feels a little out of control. The tires flat out stink and give little grip to the road leading to the back end sliding. But that is fixable, besides that the suspension is great and corners well, and it catches eyes where ever you drive it.

Fun to drive and exceptional quality

TampaMaggie, 10/06/2003

I have almost owned my RSX for 1 year and just love it! It handles well during acceleration and cornering, it feels sporty to drive, and gets great gas mileage. I also love the large amount of cargo room in the rear hatch - it has the sporty feel of a much smaller car, without making you feel like you are driving a couple of inches off the ground, where no other cars around you can even see you. Fast and fun!

Luxury Economy Car

EddieRSX, 10/25/2003

I have the Base RSX Automatic. I love the car! I have had the car about 2 weeks now, and I have had no problems driving it. I can take it through fast turns, and it stops on a dime. The A/C is automatic everything, so you name the temp. and it does the rest. It's got really cool mirror defoggers and its comfortable to ride in. I had the integra before, and this car really is better then ever.

RSXELLENCE

RSXELLENCE, 11/04/2003

I am 17 years old and I am very thankful for having and choosing the RSX as my first car. I feel this car should have a much higher review rate, especially coming from fellow owners. This car has everything for its price and one of the most dominant in the sport compact genere. I love it, everything besides the sub-par Bose sound system.

I love my car

peekaboop, 11/10/2003

Great pickup off the line Very responsive steering and brakes

First Step Up

Walkman, 11/10/2003

When the RSX first came out I was peaked. I looked and pondered as to paying 20K+ for something not much different than my Civic. When I got the oppourtunity, I steped up and haven't been one bit dissapointed. I did not expect Space Shuttle Gadgetry and Ferrari performance but what the car really had to offer is a Real Bang for the buck. I don't regret it one bit.

You should have one

Mr. BlueMan, 11/11/2003

This is a great care... I looked at the Cooper and New VW Beetle, however was not sold on their long term questionable performance. I've had three other Honda's and never had a problem. So once I drove the 2004 RSX there was not going back. Great get up and go. Feels great to ride in, excellent sound system and all the standard features for the leather-auto was the best of all, with CD, power windows, moon roof, etc… Great handling. It’s just the best in class.

The Acura Company

Chainsaw, 11/27/2003

This car is easy to fix up, i got mine up to 600hp and 9200rpm maxed out

RSX - S

Silver03, 11/21/2003

This is an extremely fun car. You really feel like you get more than you pay for. Great performance, reliability, style, and comfort. I do wish it had some type of traction control and a little more torque.

Acura

Marc Lanzar, 12/03/2003

Great Car! The interior as well as the exterior is great! It's fun to drive!

Best Integra Yet

Jesse Wingert, 12/06/2003

I am very satisfied with the nest generation Integra. The Type S RSX is a real quick and snappy car the combines top notch performance with leather interior, 7 Bose surround sound speakers, CD player and a 6 speed manual tansmission.You have to love a car that delivers so mucth.

Great car!

Nev, 12/13/2003

I am very happy with my RSX. It represents a great combination of performance, comfort and reliability. It is very happy pottering around town but also gives an exciting drive if you open it up and push the revs up near the 8000 limit. The only slight citicism I have is that it does feel a bit "front-end heavy" and has the typical front-wheel drive understeer that was less apparent in the Honda Prelude I had before. Having said that the manual six-speed transmission is excellent and the steering is pin-sharp with good road feel. Overall definitely a winner and I have no regrets.

my rsx

kwik, 12/15/2003

my rsx is so cool, i wish everyone had one. with its stylish seats and powerful engine, it is a great choice for the family man. i can race anybody out there and come out the winner.

Excellent car to own and drive

MizouKev, 12/16/2003

This is the best car I have ever owned. It is the perfect combo of a luxury and sports car. Great perfromance and handling. Very responsived steering.

What a beautiful, outstanding car

TheKater, 12/11/2003

I love my RSX so much. It's very stylish, has good performance, and it makes my friends jealous! The automatic Sportshift thing is fun to play with, but not necessarily useful, at least to me.

Good car, bad people

IDriveALemon, 12/20/2003

I have never been to such horrible dealerships in my life. The people are just horrible, they don't care about the customer, they are willing to say just about anything just to be able to deny (warranty on) your claim on problems and issues with the car. The warranty as far as I'm concerned is completely irrevelent, since they don't car to abide by it. If you want a car without a warranty, this is the car. But you might as well buy it used for that matter.

Love it!

Vy, 12/23/2003

I switched from a 2000 Honda Accord to a 2003 RSX and I love it! This car is sporty and fun to drive. It took a bit of getting used to since the suspension is pretty stiff and bumps in the road are definitely felt. The louder engine took some getting used to as well, but it is no problem! All in all, I love it!

RSX Review

BobG, 12/27/2003

Excellent overall design and comfort. Dealer was the best I've ever dealt with. Fun and exciting to drive. Engine preforms like cars costing 2 times the purchase price. Six gear transmission is tight and smooth with little excessive play. A little more of a consol would be nice but the interior is very attractive.

i love it

marcos4, 12/27/2003

its the best car ive have yet. and i do have a is 300 from lexus, and this car it's so much funner then my lex. this has the hors power that i need just stook its so fun the best car..

Worthy investment

Jay, 08/25/2005

Great performance and reliability. No complaints so far. Far exceeds expectations.

MB's review

JayMB, 12/28/2003

this is a terrific automobile.

RSX type S

PMPIN8easy21, 12/30/2003

When i went looking for a car i wanted a dependable, fast performance car and thats what i have gotten with the RSX-S

RSX Type S

Steve Hill, 01/02/2004

excellent car for the $, and a performance car with useability and versatility

review on RSX

fmtwister10, 01/03/2004

I love the car!

rsx

xeen, 01/03/2004

its good at about 65 in the snow nad ice, nice top speed, good acceloration..the red lights for dash are annoying, would suggest a button that changes the dash lighting from blue to green and such otherwise nice ride.

go and get it

jgirl5366, 01/03/2004

I got my 2004 RSX 2 months ago and I LOVE IT. It was a great choice, it has great handling and is so comfortable. The leather seats were a good choice. It gets great gas milage ,that's a big plus for me.Its a fun car to drive and the sport-shift system is great if you really want to play around and see what your car can do.

A great car

MsSassyPants, 01/03/2004

I love my RSX!!! It is cute and has a lot of get up and go. The only thing I would change is the 125mph cut off...not that I would know = )

The Most Fun Car for 20K

Fredrickson bloomsey, 01/03/2004

This car is great buy and an even better value. It performs well and is extremly fun to drive.

51050