Used 2001 Acura CL Consumer Reviews - 121 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura CL Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:

great value in older car with super features
By Eric Norstog

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is a beautiful gran turismo car for 2 adults with 2 children that will more than keep up with traffic while looking super. It handles effortlessly, is an easy car to drive through curvy roads, and mine gets 32 mpg at a cruise controlled 75. Caveats! The five-speed transmission will blow up under heavy use. If you buy this car, take it to a transmission specialist to install a radiator mounted oil cooler, and open up the 3rd gear oil passage. Then use synthetic transmission oil only in the transmission. Then switch to 5w-20 synthetic motor oil for the engine. That's how to keep the transmission running and get 30+ mpg cruising! At 95 mph cruis controlled, 28 mpg.

After 397000 miles this car accelerates like new
By Ewa Papiez

2001 Acura CL 3.2 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

It is not available anymore

Like a old pair of worn out boots
By B.C

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

2001 CL type-S
Aesthetically it is terrible. The clear coat is really thin so the paints fades in spots and on the edges. The fake "wood" trim peels off everywhere in the interior. The interior hardware is really sturdy other than the trim and the cover for the front cup holders. The tranny had issues with the torque converter which was a recall but Honda took care of that. The trainsmission slipped rarely for a few years after that but works ok 7 years later.
The Engine is a diamond. It won't die on me even though I wanted it too so the wife would let me get a new car. I really don't treat the engine the respect it deserves. The O2 sensors quit on me 8 years ago and I use nothing but regular gas. Oil change 3 to 4 times a year with regular oil. The car runs rich due to my negligence but passes emissions every time. I get between 16.8 and 17.2 mpg city driving.
My assessment...the car is like a pair of old work boots that gets uglier in time but won't wear out. It's dependable

Just Be Cautious
By cdabs3

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My uncle got the car new in 2001. He gave it to me 3 years ago with 93,000mi on it (nothing for a Honda) within the first 3 months of having it at 96,000mi the transmission died. This was the first of my problems. The side motor mount as well as front, were worn out so much they were not holding the engine in place anymore. At 123,867mi when I HAD to give it up because of the enormity of problems it was having Acura quoted me at $4,895 for all the repairs. List of items that needed replacement: All four rotors, brake pads(normal), All four struts with the coils because they were "weak", both front CV axels, and the front passenger brake caliper. Maybe I just had bad luck but just be weary.

As expected and outstanding engine, Interior material quality, Exterior styling, loaded with tech features (heated seats, memory seat, bose speakers)

N/A

my Ricer
By redplanetlover

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2001 CL 3.2 Type S around Christmas in 2006 and as of now I have replaced the alternator and the power steering pump. That's it! I did it in my garage for a couple hundred bucks all in.
I have had NO problems with the transmission at all and I am at 165000 K right now. I think the transmission problems are
from people who shift manually and I rarely do that. The computer does a better job than my ears can.

What can I say? I have thought about replacing her but every car I test drive is no quicker and most don't have the handling of my Type S. I have found that to show an improvement I would have to spend $50,000 and why bother?

If you can find one, buy it and smile.

Acceleration always fools people, except the time I was fooled by a WRX.

Bigger tires, bigger anti-sway bars.