Great car, but expensive to own
By Levi on
2002 Volvo XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)
I bought a used 2002 Volvo Cross Country in November of 2005. I kept it for 2 1/2 years and put nearly 60K miles on it. I really enjoyed the vehicle. It was excellent in the snow and rain...in fact living in Vermont I have never driven a better car in bad weather. With a set of good snow tires it could literally go anywhere. It was very comfortable on long trips and I loved the fact that it had a huge trunk that could easily hold a weeks worth of luggage as well as the dog. The car was great until it hit 100K and things started needing to be replaced. Most of them were probably considered to be typical for a car with 100K, but the costs were double or even triple that of domestic made.
Favorite Features
safety, comfort, reliability, looks, excellent in snow and rain. Handled well, smooth ride, with plenty of power.
Suggested Improvements
If European car makers want to continue to do well in the US car market they needed to find a way to make the costs of service/parts affordable. Many of their cars are great, but people are not going to pay double and triple the costs of repairs on domestic cars. It is just not worth it.