Long Term Evaluation
By swedewheels on
2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)
I have owned the S60 2.5T for ten years, 175,000+ miles, until the sad day I totaled it. What I've learned from my Volvo experience - ultra reliable, smooth running, and well built. Some driver sight line issues. Repairs: after 75k much front end work on tie rods, bearings, & struts and was still a little rattely. Replaced many tail lights (always kept spares in trunk). No drive train issues except some trans shift flaring from day 1. Interior plastic parts (console lid and steering wheel adjustment handle) broke about 100k. Gas port lid hinge (cheap plastic) broke off at 35k and lost lid on freeway. No rear seat space. Overall an 8.5 out of 10
Favorite Features
Comfortable seats. Great looking car, even after 10 years. HU-805 sound system sounds great! However, dash volume knob stopped responding and was prone to bouts of mysterious channel changing. Lucky steering wheel volume continued to work.
Suggested Improvements
Simplify front end and make it more robust. Improve leg room in back. Better interior parts (improved in later models). Trans flare fix. Improve turning radius - surprisingly large for vehicle of its size I would still get another to replace my totaled S60 but not sure I am "Volvo for life".