GTI Five Fast and Solid
By fastbackwards on
2006 Volkswagen GTI New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
I recently tried all the small cars around, and no kidding, dropped in a VW dealer because they had Acuras, and the Audi A3. I drove the GTI, and it smoked everything. It has great practical space, tighter handling, shorter braking, and is faster. I was in the market for an A3 or similar, but based upon first test drive, and the better fuel efficiency, I bought my GTI on the same day. I got a Black Pack 2 with DVD Nav. Absolutely everything about its performance is perfect, the ergonomics are a 10, handling a 9, Braking a 9.5, it has tons of features, and fit and finish are a 10. But the speakers are rather lackluster. They sound shrill in the mid-range. Of course the DVD NAV is great, but the DVD Nav warning stinks.
Favorite Features
The engine tuning. The basic fuel mapping in Sport mode is wickedly exhilarating. Truthfully the engine sounds great at high speeds. Overall the performance is the best feature. Get one! This is a fun car which frankly is tough to drive slowly anywhere.
Suggested Improvements
Eliminate the DVD NAV warning and improve the speaker system. The midrange audio is a bit shrill. It sounds great when the mid and treble are turned back. Create an auto close for the sunroof and windows simultaneously. When you lock it up, the sunroof stops moving when the engine is cut of.