2003 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
2003 vw gti 1.8t manual
By gti4 on 10/05/11 09:23 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i have this car since 05 and now has 175k never had any issues if u take good care will take good care of you. this is very good quality vehicle best one so far i owned and i had few BMW's Mercedes but nothing compares to this baby.parts are same price as for any other vehicle if not cheaper now if u do some basic stuff your self will save you money.

What a blast
By albatem on 08/01/10 09:47 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI 20th Anniversary Edition 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Very fun car to own! Great interior and exterior design with all the 20th ae bits. Seats are comfy, but can get hard on long trips, the turbo is fun, but does lag at times. Has some aftermarket goodies (chip, turbo-back exhaust, bov) which help it a bit. The jazzy blue is great and real head Turner. Got many compliments. Reliable car, but had an issue with 2nd gear, but may have been related to driving style. Mpg was okay 20 in city and 26 or so on hwy. Overall fun car less the transmission issue.

Dream Car is a Nightmare
By Corey on 01/26/10 22:37 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Worst car ever! Owned for 5 years, bought new, baby this car. Replaced 4 batteries, 2 alternators, 3 shocks, and last week had to rebuild the engine. $24,000 cost of car, $8,000 in unusual repairs in 5 years. VW will not honor warranty on same 1.8 liter engine used in the Passat that is known for having oil sludge problem and been recalled. Engine light came on and within 2 minutes the engine locked due to oil sludge,result was a destroyed engine. $3700 to fix, VW wanted $5000. I am filing case in small claims court. I loved this car but it has been the worst car I have ever owned, the second to worst was my 1984 VW GTI. STAY AWAY FROM VW! My car has been towed six times, thank God for AAA.

sad volkswagen
By Drodgers on 01/19/10 18:58 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car is fun to drive. It gets good gas mileage, handles very well and has good power when its not in the shop. I've had the car about two years and now with about 118k miles on it I have replaced the clutch, transmission, alternator, AC compressor, brakes, all 4 ignition coils, catalytic converter and now it looks like the cars computer has gone bad. The engine will only idle. The gas pedal is useless and frankly so is the car. No more junkwagens for me.

Just bought a '03 VW GTI VR6...
By VWLuv on 10/22/09 11:36 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

Well I just purchased a 2003 Volkswagen GTI VR6 and I must say so far this is the best car I've ever owned. I just bought it Tuesday of this week and have only driven it for two days but before this car I was driving a 2000 VW Golf and other than the engine and the 6th gear it's pretty much the same car as I had before(with a bunch more power!!!). I honestly plan on keeping this car for a very long time like my Golf (which met it's untimely demise when a Harley ran a red light a totaled it). Excellent car all around.

My Last vw
By murfsurf on 09/01/09 22:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI 20th Anniversary Edition 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Far too many trips to the shop -- always something! Bought it because of a really good deal, I thought. Thought it would be economic to drive in town. Big mistake. Plus I get better mileage on the road in my Sedan Deville

the car that could
By colton on 04/26/09 18:53 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

this car is amazing. i love it! its so much fun to drive. the only complaint i have is the interior panels paint rubs off. but other than that there's nothing 2 complain about. i installed a cold air intake, awe turbo back exhaust, neuspeed suspension, and its GIAC chipped. this car is fast, sexy, verrrrryy fun to drive and most importantly comfortable to drive in. taking a long trip in this is more than bearable but enjoyable with a 7" dvd display head unit in. in the end i guarantee you will fall in love with this car and it will surpass all of your expectations.

You Will Love It
By PC2003 on 01/08/09 09:39 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI 20th Anniversary Edition 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car stock or with some mods. Have owned my 20th in Imola Yellow for well over a year now and am happy to say that it is my favorite car to drive. The steering is great the brakes are amazing. I have modded a little, full exhaust, konig wheels, Apr Cold air intake and ECU along with a greddy blowoff valve and stage 3 Clutch and flywheel. My favorite part is that in other cars that I have owned I have had to replace the block to run high boost not so here. Also, the 20th has the recaro seats, which I love and just feels lighter than my camaro and Audi S4, so if it comes to a great driving car with out any abnormal issues and can be used daily, this is the car for you... You will love it

Love this car
By jwschmchr on 11/13/08 22:02 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new with 35 miles in 2003.I have since put about $15,000 worth of performance mods into this car. The build quality is excellent for a $25,000 car. I was lucky to be stationed in Germany for 2 years with this car. It drives like a dream on the autobahn and on the back roads. I lapped the Nurburgring in 9:18 my first lap on the track. With some work this car is easily as fast as a 911 carrera on the track.I have never had any major issues with anything breaking. Just do the scheduled maintenance and it runs like a top. After driving more $$ cars like the BMW M3, Mercedes AMG 55 and my 2000 740i sport the Golf GTi is as well built and as fun to drive as any other high $$ car.

Fun to drive
By Todd on 09/28/08 14:42 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought the car with 116500 three months ago, put 2000 on it. The car is very peppy with plenty of power, even in 5th going 60 mph, its got pickup without downshifting. When buying a VW with this many miles on it, check the records. See if the timing belt was done, if the clutch was done, and any other major repair work. VW Timing belts should be done by 105, silly German engineering needs to use timing chains... more reliable. The car is rated at 7.5 s 0-60, mine is stock and its around 5.5-6 s. Stock turbo is good quality, but can easily be bigger. The back of the engine compartment(where turbo is) has plenty of room for upgrade.