Used 2003 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen GTI

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

2003 vw gti 1.8t manual
By gti4

2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i have this car since 05 and now has 175k never had any issues if u take good care will take good care of you. this is very good quality vehicle best one so far i owned and i had few BMW's Mercedes but nothing compares to this baby.parts are same price as for any other vehicle if not cheaper now if u do some basic stuff your self will save you money.

Favorite Features

gas mileage :)

What a blast
By albatem

2003 Volkswagen GTI 20th Anniversary Edition 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Very fun car to own! Great interior and exterior design with all the 20th ae bits. Seats are comfy, but can get hard on long trips, the turbo is fun, but does lag at times. Has some aftermarket goodies (chip, turbo-back exhaust, bov) which help it a bit. The jazzy blue is great and real head Turner. Got many compliments. Reliable car, but had an issue with 2nd gear, but may have been related to driving style. Mpg was okay 20 in city and 26 or so on hwy. Overall fun car less the transmission issue.

Favorite Features

interior/exterior styling, turbo, 20thAE parts

Suggested Improvements

seat comfort, mpg

Dream Car is a Nightmare
By Corey

2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Worst car ever! Owned for 5 years, bought new, baby this car. Replaced 4 batteries, 2 alternators, 3 shocks, and last week had to rebuild the engine. $24,000 cost of car, $8,000 in unusual repairs in 5 years. VW will not honor warranty on same 1.8 liter engine used in the Passat that is known for having oil sludge problem and been recalled. Engine light came on and within 2 minutes the engine locked due to oil sludge,result was a destroyed engine. $3700 to fix, VW wanted $5000. I am filing case in small claims court. I loved this car but it has been the worst car I have ever owned, the second to worst was my 1984 VW GTI. STAY AWAY FROM VW! My car has been towed six times, thank God for AAA.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, when it runs. Stereo is great, great visibility, handling is great, good in rain, fair in snow. Paint still looks new. Breaks are great. good low end torque for great acceleration at higher speeds. Very little road noise. Back seats drop and trunk is like a small pick up.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof drain clogs often and floods car. Cup holder in worst place ever. Oil sludge killed the engine, yellow wax sludge drips from inside of rubber door sealer on hot days, done it 5 years (where does it keep coming from?!) Heated seats have 5 levels but it is either off or on full blast

sad volkswagen
By Drodgers

2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car is fun to drive. It gets good gas mileage, handles very well and has good power when its not in the shop. I've had the car about two years and now with about 118k miles on it I have replaced the clutch, transmission, alternator, AC compressor, brakes, all 4 ignition coils, catalytic converter and now it looks like the cars computer has gone bad. The engine will only idle. The gas pedal is useless and frankly so is the car. No more junkwagens for me.

Favorite Features

Heated seats

Suggested Improvements

set the car on fire and walk away.

Just bought a '03 VW GTI VR6...
By VWLuv

2003 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

Well I just purchased a 2003 Volkswagen GTI VR6 and I must say so far this is the best car I've ever owned. I just bought it Tuesday of this week and have only driven it for two days but before this car I was driving a 2000 VW Golf and other than the engine and the 6th gear it's pretty much the same car as I had before(with a bunch more power!!!). I honestly plan on keeping this car for a very long time like my Golf (which met it's untimely demise when a Harley ran a red light a totaled it). Excellent car all around.

Favorite Features

Favorite feature so far would have to be the 2.8L engine and the 6th gear.

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of so far.