2013 Toyota Camry Consumer Review: Good car, great value

2013 Toyota Camry - Consumer Review

SE Sedan (3.5L V6 6-speed Automatic)

Good car, great value
By roar02ram on

2013 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The title says it all - this car is an excellent value. It rides well, handles decently, is comfortable, has a few cool features, is sturdily constructed, gets acceptable fuel economy (particularly considering the performance), and is roomy. It does all of the important things well or well enough, with no major flaws and zero irritants. Plus, in SE V-6 trim, the engine supplies a few thrills and the car handles/steers well enough to keep up when you want to do more than commute. Bottomline, it ain't a sports sedan, and it ain't a luxury car, either. But for what the SE V-6 is and for what Toyota charges for it, it really is the best thing out there.

Favorite Features

The engine's easily this car's best feature: smooth, quiet, punchy, and relatively fuel efficient, particularly given the power. I like the ride, which is firm and feels controlled but isn't hard or jarring (i.e., I've never spilled coffee). Entune has some cool features, and I love the keyless access. All of the controls are easy to use and work in a way that makes sense to me. The steering wheel controls are particularly useful. The car's roomy enough that I don't have to move the seat forward for backseat passengers, even at 6'.

Suggested Improvements

The brake pedal's too mushy for my liking - it makes the brakes feel weak even though they aren't. Some competitors manage to handle & steer better, even without the SE V-6's 18" wheels/tires & sport suspension. The touchscreen boots up slowly and switches screens/apps too slowly. The "Find Next POI" voice command can only display a list; it should display them on the map. I get it - this isn't a luxury car - but even this car should have lighted vanity mirrors standard, and honestly, it should have auto climate control, too.