2008 Scion xB Consumer Review: Not Reliable As Advertised

2008 Scion xB - Consumer Review

Base Wagon (2.4L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

Not Reliable As Advertised
By steve_cabral on

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I had this car since 2008 (only owner). I took care of it and had all service done. As of April 14, the car had 47,760 miles. On April 12, I was leaving Publix after stopping there to pick up a few items. The started like it normally does, but the steering wheel would not turn like it normally did. I looked at the dashboard and noticed a strange indicator. I looked in the owner manual and it said to take car immediately to dealership. I found out that it was something called an ECU (some sort of computer device) that is going to cost about $1,100 to repair. How is it possible to be charged so much with not even 5 years of ownership. Sad.
By abrogan
on 03/10/15 18:08 PM (PDT)

As a Toyota tech, i have seen this problem before. we were having problems with the power steering computer, but to my knowledge, the new ones have been updated to prevent the issue from repeating.

By sheesh4
on 04/23/12 11:02 AM (PDT)

'08 xB Wagon with ONLY 33,000, and just over the time warranty, and I have the exact same problem. Just catastrophic failure and $1,100. I fell the same way.