2006 Saturn ION Sedan Consumer Reviews

2006 Saturn ION Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:
Good Commuter Car
By epic_sandwich on 01/01/12 10:51 AM (PST)

2006 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my '06 Ion for 4 years, purchased used from a Saturn dealer with 22k on the clock. It just passed 80k the other day and thus far has been a good car. Average 33mpg, over 40 on trips. Issues thus far: AC compressor failed (replaced under warranty), power steering motor failed (out of warranty, dealer wanted $1300 to fix, I bought a used ps motor off eBay and did it myself for $80 bucks), ignition module failure (twice, $82 part at AutoZone), and now the front right wheel has a bad bearing and is causing excessive road noise. Most of the problems are easy and quick to fix, no car is 100% failure proof and I think this car is a good trade-off. People have unrealistic expectations.

Beware: Horrible Car!!!
By gibbys1 on 12/29/11 06:30 AM (PST)

2006 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My 2006 Saturn Ion has been nothing but a money pit. Sure the first couple years were great...no problems. Then, the issues started. My car now has 59,000 miles on it and I have had to replace the track in the driver's door because my window actually fell down into the door and wouldn't come back up. It has no A/C because no one can figure out what's wrong with it. I have also had to replace the brakes numerous times, replaced sensors because the lights would stay on (the car thought the doors weren't shut) and now I have an issue where the car doesn't want to start on cold mornings. This car just is not worth it anymore. I'm frustrated, poor and just can't take much more!!!

i love this car
By ucantcme0220 on 04/17/11 19:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

i got my saturn about 7 months ago it had 116k miles on it and now its got 127k miles and runs absolutely great.. it gets around 21 on city and 32 on the highway which i get combined 29-30ish which aint bad.. the only thing i had to replace was the powersteering motor.. it had a little leak from the rain once but a lil silicone fixed the problem.. I also put a custom exhaust on it which sounds awesome.. overall this car is great i love this car..

HAPPY WITH CAR, BUT...
By squeegie on 03/15/11 10:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Saturn ION Sedan 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2006 Saturn ION 3 with 5 sp manual transmission back in Aug 2010. I love the car when there are no problems, but boy, when there are problems, there are problems! I had to replace the ignition switch 'cos of a bad sensor. The PassLock system wouldn't let me start the car because of this. It "thought" the car was being stolen so the engine wouldn't start. 2 days ago, the power steering light came on & I lost my power steering. The book said to take it to the dealer, so I did. That is when I found out that there is a recall from GM. Fortunately, my car has less than 100k miles, so the price of the repair was covered under the recall.

Really Happy!
By branman102 on 01/03/11 16:16 PM (PST)

2006 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Might as well start with the problems. AC compressor went, but was under warranty, the alarm is activated in cold weather due to thick lubricant in the ignition cylendar (common problem) and the clutch that is auto adjusting is set too close to the floor for my liking. Now the good stuff. Good looking car. Better looking than the comperable Japanese models in my opinion. Good gas mileage. I upgraded my plugs, keep it well maintained, use Lucas products, adjusted my driving habits and get about 20% better mileage than the EPA rating. Comfortable with plenty of room in the back for my kids. Lots of trunk room. Lot's of pep in the city and on the highway when you need it.

Terrible Car
By JC on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

The transmission started shifting hard. Took it to a transmission shop and had it looked at, was told every- thing seemed ok. It got worse. Months later, took the car to a different transmission shop, I was told it felt like it was skipping from first to third gear. When taking off, the car stays in first gear and you have to take your foot off the pedal to let it shift into second gear.took it to a Saturn dealer, told the transmission might be going out and it would cost $3,000.00 to fix it. was told to just drive the car until it went completely out instead of spending that kind of money. Now when you put the car in gear, all the interior and exterior lights flicker. fuses are fine. stuck!

What Next?
By Neveragain on 10/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Saturn ION Sedan 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 2006 and loved it at first. Then one night during a rain storm my car alarm went off for no reason. The next day I found the foam seal along the top of both doors is badly weathered and rain water runs in along the door panels and puddles on the floor. With 20,000 miles the front struts are shot and just yesterday my key became stuck in the ignition while the car is running. Likely the ignition cylinder will need to be replaced (from the looks of it this is a huge big with the ION). And who will have to pay for it all? My guess is GM will bail on that as well. So here I sit with a car that leaks every time it rains, bad suspension,and a junk ignition cylinder.

Horrible Car
By Ben on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This car was passed down to me, when I got my license at 18, with just over 14,000 miles on it. I just hit 24000 yesterday, and within those 10,000 miles I've had too many problems to keep up with. The power steering stopped working( found out the power steering of this car was re-called). One time my key would not come out of the ignition and I had to replace the steering column. One night the dome light wouldn't turn off. When it rains the car leaks. My car alarm would go off randomly, the dealership told me the car doesn't think the driver's door is closed, so I have to manually lock my doors. This car has been nothing but trouble for me, and it's my first car. I'm never buying American.

Saturn ION
By Do not buy this car! on 07/19/10 10:41 AM (PDT)

2006 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my daughter on 12/05. The Saturn ION is junk! She has been stranded THREE times with the key stuck in the ignition and the engine still running. The lift motor in the driver side window broke. Now, the passenger rear window is broken. The car was leaking copious amounts of gas until it was unsafe to drive. Ignition cylinder has been replaced three times. The car only has 45,000 miles. I am so upset with this car that I am thinking of trading in my 2009 Silverado and NEVER buying a GM product again! Will be lodging a formal written complaint with the LA Attorney General's office and recommend that others follow suit!

Honest Review
By Mark C on 07/16/10 18:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I just hit 70,000 miles. So far I've had the ignition problem which is VERY common to the Saturn Ion where you can't get the key out of the ignition. Should have been a recall item. Also all of my fuel injectors needed to be replaced. Another problem I had was with the control module, another common problem with these cars. Luckily I purchased an extended warranty through an online warranty company. So I was not out of pocket too much. Other than this not too bad. Had my brakes checked today and there is plenty of pad left after 70k, I was surprised.