Used 2002 Saab 9-5 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:

Most reliable
By YEO

2002 Saab 9-5 Wagon Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Despite friend's disbelief that I can buy a GM, I have found the car to be one of the most reliable that I've owned (VW Jetta, Volvo 850, Subaru Legacy). Poor resale value means much better value for money on a used vehicle.

Auto check system that would even flag a blown tail lamp.

Wished the 4-cylinder would vibrate less at stop lights, though.

Black Turbo Powered Beauty
By chiroprincess

2002 Saab 9-5 Wagon Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is FAST for a wagon and SAFE. It's a very sturdy, solid car being quite able to zip up a steep hill without a problem. I also love the design. Several times strangers on the street have commented to me how 'good looking' this car is! I'm also impressed how roomy the back is. I can get my large bike right in w/ the back seats down. I also like the low profile of the rear 'floor' easy to get things (including our dog) in & out. I have had some oil leak problems and several hoses that have gone bad in the past few years, but considering it is now 8 yrs old not too bad in repair terms. I just test drove a '04 Volvo wagon and I have to say that I still like my Saab way more!

I love the sturdy, heavy body of this car making us feel very safe. It also has a low profile back entry that doesn't have a 'lip' so that a bike can slide right in and our older dog can easily jump up into the back. It also is very roomy in the back of the wagon, especially w/ the rear seats down.

I would like to have a better turning radius and a bit better gas mileage. Also, wish it had better radio speakers. My previous Saab 900 had a great speaker system. Otherwise, I love this car. Very comfortable, roomy & good looking. Love the cup holders & the heated seats too!

Tired
By bluejay

2002 Saab 9-5 Wagon Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This has been a good family, well maintained, gently driven car with some surprising expenses-new turbocharger 3 yrs ago, quirky starting, and annoying LED display failure that would cost $500 to replace. It handles well and the lack of pep is offset by reasonably good gas mileage20/30+ on trips. Not sure I will get another due to the change of ownership and increased quality issues with newer models identified by Consumer Reports.

handling when 6" of snow, sun roof & exterior appearance

LED correction, better seat comfort

OK, but not really happy
By bar_ml

2002 Saab 9-5 Wagon Aero 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this in mint condition last spring. I have put about 20K on it. Driving on the highway is great, especially here in Europe. But, this car is starting to drive me nuts. 1 cup holder, no armrests, waywayway too many buttons for the heater, etc. Give me some dials so I can concentrate on driving and not have to search for a button and almost wreck. They key should be on the steering column. That's where my cell, wallet etc. go. Give me wipers that I can set where I want, not some electronic sensor. Always too fast or too slow for me. Display constantly missing pixels. reverse help never works. Key batteries die very fast. I have had no engine/tranny problems.

Highway driving is awesome. Dimming rearview mirror. Passing is great. Love the look. Very comfortable.

Too many buttons, electronics, etc. Make it more user friendly. Add arm rests. This will be my last Saab.

A Unique Blend of Virtues
By Charlie

2002 Saab 9-5 Wagon Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a great all-around family vehicle, with something for everyone. It's got great interior space, attractive exterior appearance, exciting turbo performance, economical gas mileage, and reasonable mechanical reliability.

Internal spaciousness, turbo- driven "giddy-up" on demand, smooth highway ride, unique Saab design elements and bodystyling.

Better suspension for handling corners/bumps, tighter overall fit and finish to substantially reduce close-to-excessive levels of highway road noise for an expensive sport wagon.