Used 2000 Saab 9-3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

Shows it's age
By LAC

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

My friends in Europe told me not to buy it and I now know why. Shows its cheap European GM Cavalier frame through poor handling with too much understeer and being very cluncky to drive. Poor build quality and has been unreliable. While reasonably quick, it does require at least 91 octane gas to avoid engine issues but I knew this is a requirement with all turbo's. Air conditioning failed, switches on dash failed, LED display failing piece by piece, I could go on. I hope the new model is a better car - it needs to be!

Quick, nice dash, hatch.

New Model

I really like it
By MyblueSaab

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I have come to really like this car. I used to own an Acura and had to sell it to fit our new baby and her gear!! This car has done wonders. I can load and entire weekends worth of gear for my baby, my wife and myself and still not have to overflow into the cabin. The Trunk is a cavern. I can set the cruise at 75mph and get close to 30 mpg. I could go on and on but the list is too numerous. All in all this car is not more than I needed, but has turned out to be more than I expected.

25 to 35 MPG. Winter mode in Buffalo NY

Better placement of the cup holders

Sold a Lemon
By ginman

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Had just under 28,000 miles on it. First time I drove it the windows would not work properly - had to replace the switch. Water pump went at 31,900 and the rear breaks were frozen -The dealer would not cut me any kind of break even though just out of waranty. Broke down just before xmas at 33,000 - would not start - was stranded - tow ($90) to dealer - bad ignition module ($745). Car has cost me over $2,000 in service/repair in 6 months. Don't buy this car.

Make a reliable car

Very High Maintenance
By stoker999

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 2dr Convertible

Replaced the following items: 47K miles--serpentine belt broke, timing chain replaced. 56K miles--turbo replaced 57K miles--DI electronics replaced 58K miles--balance chain, water pump and head gasket changed With the 60,000 suggested maintenance, the repair costs exceed $6,000. Saab corporate thought this was acceptable.

Fun to drive, attractive vehicle.

Build quality. Saab Corporate is very aloof. Dealer service was quite poor-- slow, poor communications. My perception, Saab was the "poor cousin" at this dealership in comparison to their other lines. Inquiring of Saab Corporate, I was told, "Dealer Development does not talk to customers."

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4DR Hatchback
By bellari

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Drives like a small sports car, but is roomy & comfortable inside. I once packed an armoire in the back! Visibility and handling are excellent.

Heated Seats. Fold-down Back Seat. Turbo Engine.