Used 2003 Pontiac Sunfire Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (66 reviews )

great economy car
By Heather

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I`ve had this car for almost 2 years. bought it at 31`000miles and it`s now at almost 80`000. The car still runs like new, no oil leaks, or burning oil. Only thing I`ve had to do is change the brakes and maintenance. Stock sound system is decent. It`s pretty peppy for a 140hp. Handles very well for what it is. Love this car. Haven`t had any issues, would buy another one

Definately how it handles, it takes off ramps at an easy 50mph before you get any tire squeek. Also love the styleing of the car. At first glance from a distance the front can be mistaken for a firebird. Also love the vibrant colours they come in, mine is yellow.

Giving it`s already amazing handling a front a rear sway bar would make it unstopable in corners. Rear disc brakes would also be nice. Could also do with better fuel milage, I`m lucky if I can push over 340 miles to a tank.

I love my Car
By Justin

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

the car has been amazing reliable for me, i use it as a daily driver and my work car ( i deliver pizza ) and to be honest for a car with 230,000 on it, its solid the engine is very strong and amazing, its got ample performance and has been bullit proof this far (knock on wood) iv only had to replace the fuel pump and spark plugs, people complaining about brakes is just stupid, they wear thats what they do, iv replaced the brakes probley a good 6x but no biggie, its cheap its a sunfire :), im purchasing a 2008 chrysler 300 limited and still keeping my sunfire cuz it will probley last longer then that car will, its treated me well and i treat it well, il be happy to get it over 500,000km's :)

Engine is Very strong, Good Torque, the looks, the handleing, the cost of repairs, the fuel economy, never failed me, always starts when its -40 out, engine is smooth even at 230,000km's

Interior design, very plain and basic, more power never hurts, but it is powerful enough for everyday use, more sound deadning, better fit and finish

Too many issues
By H.Lapham

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had too many problems with this car. Shortage with the turn signals was the only recall on this that I got when there should have been plenty more recalls on it. The seat belts locking up(when they shouldn't),left high beem does not work now has a short in it, all my gauges on the dash board don't work, my drivers side window has a short in it and my locks have messed up on it before. I feel sorry for anyone who has bought this hunk of junk.

The sleek design on the outside.

Glad Pontiac retired the build of this car. Why can't any car factory build something worth your money anymore. Build a car that is cheaper for this economy that actually is reliable. All the good cars most people can't even afford.

Love my car
By Cheryl

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Pontiac Sunfire in 2003 brand new and I am still happy. The only repairs were minor with a gas cap and wire harness. The Sunfire is no longer manufactured. With high gas prices my car is perfect.

The sunroof and the front design.

All cars should be standard with satellite radio and an IPOD aux. input.

Host of Problems
By Cher

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new from the dealer. Since then the headlights have gone out twice under warranty, then paid +$300 to get them fixed again, now the fog lights are out (issue is in a wiring harness that keeps corroding, and even if they replace the entire harness, the same issue will happen because the harness still is built the same way - with poor wires; GM states that it is not their issue, but if you research this, just about every one of them has this problem; sounds like it should be recalled and a completely new harness designed). The fuel pump will go out about every 50k-60k miles. Now the window will not roll down. Many calls to GM's product assist/complaint line go non-returned.

The car looks sporty, has a nice sound system, and rides good. If it wasn't for all of the problems, it would be a nice car for the price. We will never purchase another GM product because of the way GM has handle these issues with us.

Redesign of the wiring harness for the headlamps/fog lights for the replacement harness. GM needs to deal with customer issues better than taking the info and then not calling back, even after you keep calling back on the issue. This will only cause them to loose more customers and sales.