Used 2003 Pontiac Sunfire Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

2003 Pontiac Sunfire

Base 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (65 reviews )

I love my Car
By Justin

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

the car has been amazing reliable for me, i use it as a daily driver and my work car ( i deliver pizza ) and to be honest for a car with 230,000 on it, its solid the engine is very strong and amazing, its got ample performance and has been bullit proof this far (knock on wood) iv only had to replace the fuel pump and spark plugs, people complaining about brakes is just stupid, they wear thats what they do, iv replaced the brakes probley a good 6x but no biggie, its cheap its a sunfire :), im purchasing a 2008 chrysler 300 limited and still keeping my sunfire cuz it will probley last longer then that car will, its treated me well and i treat it well, il be happy to get it over 500,000km's :)

Favorite Features

Engine is Very strong, Good Torque, the looks, the handleing, the cost of repairs, the fuel economy, never failed me, always starts when its -40 out, engine is smooth even at 230,000km's

Suggested Improvements

Interior design, very plain and basic, more power never hurts, but it is powerful enough for everyday use, more sound deadning, better fit and finish

Too many issues
By H.Lapham

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had too many problems with this car. Shortage with the turn signals was the only recall on this that I got when there should have been plenty more recalls on it. The seat belts locking up(when they shouldn't),left high beem does not work now has a short in it, all my gauges on the dash board don't work, my drivers side window has a short in it and my locks have messed up on it before. I feel sorry for anyone who has bought this hunk of junk.

Favorite Features

The sleek design on the outside.

Suggested Improvements

Glad Pontiac retired the build of this car. Why can't any car factory build something worth your money anymore. Build a car that is cheaper for this economy that actually is reliable. All the good cars most people can't even afford.

Love my car
By Cheryl

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Pontiac Sunfire in 2003 brand new and I am still happy. The only repairs were minor with a gas cap and wire harness. The Sunfire is no longer manufactured. With high gas prices my car is perfect.

Favorite Features

The sunroof and the front design.

Suggested Improvements

All cars should be standard with satellite radio and an IPOD aux. input.

Host of Problems
By Cher

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new from the dealer. Since then the headlights have gone out twice under warranty, then paid +$300 to get them fixed again, now the fog lights are out (issue is in a wiring harness that keeps corroding, and even if they replace the entire harness, the same issue will happen because the harness still is built the same way - with poor wires; GM states that it is not their issue, but if you research this, just about every one of them has this problem; sounds like it should be recalled and a completely new harness designed). The fuel pump will go out about every 50k-60k miles. Now the window will not roll down. Many calls to GM's product assist/complaint line go non-returned.

Favorite Features

The car looks sporty, has a nice sound system, and rides good. If it wasn't for all of the problems, it would be a nice car for the price. We will never purchase another GM product because of the way GM has handle these issues with us.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign of the wiring harness for the headlamps/fog lights for the replacement harness. GM needs to deal with customer issues better than taking the info and then not calling back, even after you keep calling back on the issue. This will only cause them to loose more customers and sales.

Okay for economic reasons
By Heather

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2003 when I as a single mother who needed a new car. It was not the best decision I have ever made. The car is very uncomfortable and loud on the road. The gas mileage is great but I will not buy another one. There are better economic choices.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, cup holders

Suggested Improvements

Everything else.