2003 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (65 reviews )
One of the best Cars I have ever owned!
By daveinsc on 10/06/07 09:04 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My Sunfire is a beautiful, reliable, fuel effiecient little car. With the spoilers, and front air dam, it looks and drives like a sports car. I am not sure how much horse power 4 cylinder engine puts out, but this is a very fast car for having such a small stock engine. I can cruise at 70 to 80 depending on the speed limit and still get great gas mileage. I can drive 1000 miles on 3 tanks of gas, and still have 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank left. If I were asked to recommend this car I would definitly say buy it! I am buying a new pickup, but I am keeping the Sunfire. It is a very reliable car, and I expect to get at least another 100,000 miles out of it or more. It has 34,000 now and no problems

You Get what you Pay for.
By Tami on 07/31/07 12:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Even though the car looks like a 40,000 dollar sportscar, it is about as good as a used car with a new paint job! I've put more parts on that car in the first 50,000 miles than I put on my first car (used). I replaced two turn signal controls, the fuel pump, the left and the right power window motors, the pasanger seat adjusting handle, the heater temperature control and the seat belt lock. On top of that, you hear every sound outside. It's like riding a bus. Did I forget to mention that the car will slide on spit. If it rains slightly, you should buckle up and say your prayers, that is if the buckle works.

Loved my car, now having major problems
By P. Kobasic on 07/30/07 14:53 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for 4 years and loved it when I first bought it, but now I am having problems. I just had to spend $500 to get the brakes fixed and I only have 44,000 miles on the car! The cylinders were cracked and brake fluid was leaking and the brake pads and shoes had to be replaced. Now, my window doesn't work and it will be another $400 to replace the motor. After reading other's comments, the windows are a problem with this car. Beware that your brakes may be a problem too, even if your mileage is less than 50,000. I will never buy a Pontiac again and hope I can hold off having anymore major problems with this car for another year or so.

Own one more than a year
By Monica on 07/16/07 12:07 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have not been pleased with this vehicle at all! The car had electrical problems from day one! No headlights, taillights, brake lights, you name it it broke. Trunk would not latch after a few months after purchase. The plastic interior cracks and falls off. Now the car has internal engine problems. Been broke down for a few weeks and it will cost over a grand to fix one of the problems. I have called GM several times but they say there is nothing they can do. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. I never owned a new car until this one. I will never buy another Pontiac after this experience.

Reliable and Fun
By Samantha on 10/24/06 11:22 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my sunfire about a year and a half ago used, it had 30,000 miles. It now has 50,000 and I haven't had any major problems with the car. It is fun to drive and handles well. I've driven it from WI to FL and back and it was an excellent drive, very peppy car. Reliable, but poor build quality

Great car
By Freddy on 10/17/06 17:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Have had this car 3 years and really do enjoy it! It rides great, but a lot of road noise! Is very sporty looking and great gas milage! Had only one recall so far and no mechanical problems at all! I would buy it all over again!

Good car
By G. Hasty on 09/18/06 18:37 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for three years. I have had very little trouble with it. Just replaced the tires and the brakes; with routine oil changes, I have had no problems. Great fuel economy car.

Pros and cons
By Filip on 08/15/06 11:45 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I saw this car on the lot and really liked the looks of it. it was used but only had about 8000 miles on it so it really seemed new to me.I took it out for a test drive and liked the car.The dealor wouldnt negotiate his price.Like I said , it was a nice looking car and peppy enough for me.I can zip in and out of traffic easily.I wasnt sure how the upholstery would hold up. It didnt. After 1500 miles it started to tear on the front seat There is lots of plastic on the car.I have replaced 3 wheelcovers because of cracks. there was a recall for the directional lights. I replaced them 3 times in 6 months, After a rain, If I opened the trunk, water would drip down my back. Door lock problems.

Sunfire Review
By Sunfire 4_life on 06/04/06 12:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Well the Caar is a blast to drive. I have only had one repair since new the cable for my heating system and seal on my dash where the air comes out for my defrost. I was most impressed with the performance. I like the sunfire due to it has a nice new styling and It fits the sport tuner class.

Major Problems
By moodylicious on 04/27/06 15:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Have had major problems with the brakes suddenly locking up while at hwy speeds while not being able to shift above 3rd gear. Took five dealer visits before problem was even diagonosed. Was very disturbed about how serious a problem could not be reproduced in the shop. Once nearly got steamrollered by a semi while trying to regain power. Problem finally stopped. Also, power window motors have had been replaced 4 times at $300+ a crack. Would I buy this car again? No.