1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan - Consumer Reviews

SE 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (11 reviews )
Don't Buy This
By megan on 11/24/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This was my first car purchase, I have had this car for 6 years now. It has worked alright. Shabby build I was going about 15mph and had a deer run into the side of the front fender crumpled it up completely and broke the drivers side a-arm and trashed the front clip. Master brake cylinder has severe issues replaced it 3 times and still shorts out. worst economy gas mileage a lifted pickup with a 350 gets better mileage. WASTE OF MONEY!

Not again
By molly_90 on 07/24/10 18:28 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I inherited this car, and obviously knew it needed a little work, but was in for more than a little, almost $2000 later and still more. I knew old car, slowly one by one the regular routine, had a civic beforehand and well no comparison both bad on parts and good on others. i wouldn't purchase a Pontiac again, the good thing is its a cheap vehicle to maintain never missed an oil change etc. over 300,000 km and hence the replacement of a lot of things, i myself am a mechanic so its easy, but for someone who wants a a-b car and doesn't want to replace something every other week, I'd look at another option. overall an okay car better for a first one. plus cheap on insurance.

I would definitely buy this car again
By Litlangi on 06/02/10 12:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased new, love at first sight. only major problems with it mechanically were do to our own issues with getting regular maintenance done in a timely manor and a transmission recall just after purchase. Other than that just what you would expect as it got older and more miles. We ran it to 260,000+ miles before my oldest son flipped it over on the freeway. He managed to get it slowed down quite a bit before the tire burst and dug into the ground causing it to flip and he walked away with just a bump on the head because it held up. I have no doubt that I would have gotten to 300K before it gave out. I am definitely going to look for another Sunfire when we are ready to replace it.

What will I drive next
By Tea on 05/28/10 12:08 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

i like the car for its gas mileage, but when i go on trips that are 50 mi. or more, it's not fun to drive.

Very good car
By pontiac1234 on 01/29/09 13:30 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have had my 98 Pontiac Sunfire for about 5 years. It only had 48,000 miles when I got and i have had no mechanical problems what so ever and I'm hitting about 150,000 miles. If you are looking for a good reliable car pick a Pontiac Sunfire or any Pontiac

dint buy this car
By boo on 06/28/08 13:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a family friend who's mother never drove it, and had recently became too ill to use it. When I purchased it it had less than 70,000 miles. Since then I have had to replace the alternator, radiator, all four tires, the ac, the fuel injector, along with the usual upgrades. Not to mention the window cranks fell off along with the stereo knobs. This car is the worst investment and I wouldn't even want my worst enemy to drive it! I don't drive a lot and use public transportation for work and school yet somehow this car breaks down without fail once a month! Do not purchase!

beware
By Stephy on 07/12/06 21:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I love the stereo system, which sounds like something professional- althought it's not. I have also had very few mechanical problems yet with 104K miles. A few things I do not like is that the 98 model has some messed up cruise control. The chain sticks and it's one of the few recalls that they have not figured out. It gets stuck once you set it at a certain speed and then you cannot set it lower than that speed again.

1998 PONTIAC SUNFIRE
By RLYNN on 10/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

THE MOST RELIABLE, DEPENDABLE VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED. IT GETS GREAT GAS MILEAGE, IT IS VERY EASY TO KEEP MAINTAINED, MOST IMPORTANTLY IT HANDLES VERY WELL IN WET LYING AREAS. I HAVE OWNED MY SUNFIRE NOW FOR 6 YEARS.MY HUSBAND AND I PURCHASED A YUKON LAST 2 WEEKS AGO, HE MENTIONED SELLING THE SUNFIRE. NEEDLESS TO SAY I AM STILL DRIVING THE SUNFIRE TO WORK & THE YUKON ON THE WEEKENDS. NOT GIVIN' IT UP YET! THE SUNFIRE IS A REAL GOOD INVESTMENT FOR ANYONE WHO NEEDS SOMETHING DEPENDABLE, AND RELIABLE.

my sunfire was good to me
By mybaby on 04/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Let me say I no longer has this car. But i miss it everday. This was my first real car purchase. The only real problems I had was that the plug wires went bad around 45,000. I was upset. My partner hydroplanned it badly once. But that was due to cheap tires. Then when i wrecked it, i reared some at from a stop to a tap the gas. The whole front of the car buckled. that is only reason i got rid of it.

I LOVE THIS CAR
By LOUIS A. SCALZO on 01/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST AND MOST FUN CARS TO DRIVE AND OWN ...I AM 53 YEARS OLD AND I LOVE THIS SLEEK LOOKS AND FUN RIDE...THE RIDE COULD BE A LITTLE SMOOTHER AND LESS BUMPY BUT PTHER THAN THAT IT IS A GREAT CAR..I HAVE HAD LITTLE OR NONE IN REPAIRS..BRAKES ONCE, TIRES ONCE,ALTENATOR AND BATTERY ONCE...OTHER THAN OIL CHANGES THAT IS ALL SINCE I BOUGHT IT...OHH AND THE PLUGS ONCE I CHANGED AT 60 THOUSAND MILES..IT HAS 80000 MILES NOW..GREAT CAR..