2005 Pontiac Montana Consumer Review: Warning to other potential own

2005 Pontiac Montana - Consumer Review

2005 Pontiac Montana

SV6 Passenger Minivan (3.5L V6 4-speed Automatic w/1SA)

Warning to other potential owners
By echocheckin on

2005 Pontiac Montana SV6 4dr Minivan w/1SA (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Montana used 4 years ago and actually loved it during that time, but in the last 2 months, I've put over $4000 into it in repairs which seem neverending.
Overheating was the initial problem and I've had coolant leaks fixed, a new water pump and thermostat put on.
The problem continued and I've ended up with a leaking head gasket, then the battery died and now it has electrical problems.
Door locks have never worked properly, the temp gauge sticks so I don't even know anymore if it is overheating.
I love it for comfort and roominess but I've lost all faith in it, and I only have 72k miles on it and drive it gently.
I'll be trading it in as soon as I can get to a dealer.

As I mentioned, it is a very comfortable vehicle which seats 7 comfortably. Seats are fairly easily removable for transporting large items. Pick-up on the highway is surprisingly good. It is attractive for a van and visibility is good, not many blind spots. I don't fault the design at all, just the reliability.

Since this vehicle is no longer made, I can't suggest improvements, but for anyone who decides to go ahead and purchase one, do have a very trusted mechanic check it over first. Mine performed well until it was 6 years old, which is not a terrible record, but I would not suggest getting an older model or one with high mileage, and watch for the problems described here. Unfortunately the necessary repairs have been very expensive because, as mechanics tell me, Montana's internal parts are notoriously difficult to get at, making labor costly. A family vehicle such as a van should be extremely dependable! I should have researched it more fully before purchasing.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review